Help for the MIDDLE CLASS

Old 10-05-12, 09:17 AM
Exclamation Help for the MIDDLE CLASS

I consider myself as "middle class". I am a 67 year old disabled man, and became disabled when I was 60 years old.
I have been eximpt from property tax since being disabled, and it was a great help.
Yesterday, I received notification that I needed to recertify because of recent tax law changes.
It appears that if I draw $12,000 or more and I am 65 or older, I will be paying property taxes again.
Although this is not a great burden for me, I know there are many that will be greatly hurt by these changes!

THANKS for Helping the Middle Class----Whoever is responsable

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-12, 01:23 PM
Several years ago my then 80 year old neighbor, a decorated WW2 vet, was facing a sheriff's eviction for non payment of taxes. His wife was suffering from terminal cancer and they were being forced out of their home of 50 years, a house that he had built himself. Their only income was a small social security check that barely covered their living expenses. The town politicians didn't give a ****. Their position was that everyone has to pay taxes. They wanted their money.

Neighbors took up a collection that covered his taxes and quite a bit extra. More important the action by the town***** off so many people that the mayor lost her job at the next election. One of the planks in the new mayor's platform was
a tax break for super seniors and vets.

I'm not a big fan of national elections. I long ago concluded that politicians at that level are all liars and crooks concerned about nothing but their own reelection. However, politics at the local level is a different matter.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-05-12 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 04:35 PM
However, politics at the local level is a different matter.
Maybe in your area, but not in mine. They are all the same around here. Full of baloney. In my town, the two parties have been at each other's throats since I moved here (only 4.5 years ago). I find the campaign stuff rather entertaining. I also like when they come to my door to talk to me. Unfortunately, I had to put of a no soliciting sign to keep the cable company away and now the politicos don't knock. Got to give them credit for not ignoring the sign like the cable company does.

Old 10-05-12, 06:47 PM
Unfortunately many areas are now in a pinch it isn't just businesses but also governments because of the economy and even some new federal regulations. So thank the federal government for the red tape and the extra costs and burdens. Part of it also has to do with the new health care law and the federal tax that has been imposed on the better health insurance plans.

Old 10-06-12, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Part of it also has to do with the new health care law and the federal tax that has been imposed on the better health insurance plans.
Even though this plan isn't supposed to kick in until 2014, I believe the insurance companies are reaping early benefits. Sort of like an Arab sheik sneezes and gas prices jump 50 cents, or we have a dry spell and bacon prices jump artificially

Got an ad in the mail yesterday from BCBS wanting me to sign up with them. Prices as low as $2.10 per day......hmmm....that's $63 a month!!! I go to their website, and the cheapest policy they have with $5k deductible is $245. I read the disclaimer. The $2.10 is for a 35 year old male in Lowndes county Georgia, and that is all dependent on health, age, tier level, etc. Heck Lowndes county is almost in the Okefenokee Swamp!! I doubt there are any 35 year old males there, as there are no jobs there!
I go to get a quote on their moderate policy with reasonable deduction, and it comes back at $435. BUT, they haven't factored in my knees, so the price jumps to $600. Haven't figured that out yet.....my KNEES are the best part of my body....they're titanium. It's the rest of my body that will fail, and they aren't worried about that!!

Old 10-06-12, 09:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Who or whom is responsible? Not likely at the federal level. Don't see or or know of any connection between a states or city or a towns property tax tied to a federal tax law. IMO, totally different.

A state in debit is a state in debit as a result of state, county or city governments elected leaders failure to control costs, spending versus revenue income etc. Basically like a families credit card, disposable expenses and or expenses versus income.

What more states need is some what like we have here. Known as a prop 13 measure. A long ago voter passed ballot proposition that limited both rental rate increases for long term renters (preventing landlords jacking up rental rates to force renters out) and a property tax control law limiting increases to property taxes for long term home owners (local government elected leaders doing likewise).

Summations:

Citizens in your community and state wide need to gather together and get a voter drafted up ballot proposition on the state ballot. Not impossible if allowed in your state or any other state. If not allowed make it happen in the same fashion or method. Protest with calls and complaints to all local and state leaders or vote the bums all out. Petitions need to be drawn up and signatures obtained.

Replace those existing BUMS with new bums cause they are all alike. Not in office to benefit anyone else except themselves. How to get themselves into the next higher office as an elected official. Beats being on the outside, like many of us, looking in..... or looking down on those of us whom elected them.

Unless, like all to many of us common folks are in that 47% group. YIKES. Whom get a benefit we paid into and are entitled to as a result. Those such benefits can be or will be all to soon HISTORY if next elected federal leader gets his way.......

Trust me. They DO NOT feel your PAIN. Do not care about it. Simply claim to so you'll FEEL BETTER!

Cuts, layoffs and terminations never start at the TOP then go down to the middle. Always start at the middle and then down to the bottom. Never knew of any elected leader willing to cut their huge salaries or pay and/or benefits to help out with states financial short comings!

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-06-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-06-12, 09:29 AM
What more states need is some what like we have here. Known as a prop 13 measure. A long ago voter passed ballot proposition that limited both rental rate increases for long term renters (preventing landlords jacking up rental rates to force renters out) and a property tax control law limiting increases to property taxes for long term home owners (local government elected leaders doing likewise).
Really? Last I saw, California had HUGE budgetary problems. You may have made it difficult for the state to raise taxes, but you haven't made it difficult to spend money.

Old 10-06-12, 03:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Andrew

I can agree with you we need to limit spending at our sates level. Question is HOW?

And in need to be considered is in your own "Garden" state. New Jersey. Wouldn't be broke like all the other states are if there was a way to limit elected leaders spending. All of which was done in Jersey like everywhere else under prior administrations of both parties.

Now your governor has to make unwelcomed and unfriendly painful CUTS to some public servents whom never gave it a thought they too are or where part of the problem. Christy got his problems sure but the cuts always start at the middle downwards and to those whom he has power and control over.

Those whom never thought voting against their own best interests would ever effect them as public servents. The chickens have come home to roost...... Would be better if the chickens came home to roast...LOL!

FYI: The property tax limit was required to stop elected leaders from spend money coming in like it would never run out. However, huge property taxes where causing home owners to lose their homes for a failure to pay. That law limiting property tax increase was a method to control elected leaders spending. Also like landlords ability to get a renter out. Re-read above.

Old 10-06-12, 04:53 PM
My point was that the property tax law in CA has not prevented CA governments from overspending taxpayer dollars. I also don't find it to be a fair tax. Why should someone that moves from house to house shoulder a heavier tax burden than the person that stays in one place for 30 years?

Old 10-07-12, 05:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hi: Andrew

You are correct. Limiting property tax did not deter elected leaders from spending more then the $$$$ that came in. It only prevented them from having a larger portion of the tax burden placed solely on single family residential properties. Large companies and cooperations have lobbyists to benefit them and act in their best interests. Us residential property owners had no one until Howard Jarvis came along to be our spokes persons acting in our best interests. The organization remains still to this day....

So what did our state leaders due? Increased the tax burden on businesses!!! Whom began leaving the state by the hundreds, thousands and maybe millions? Yikes. Over time much of the businesses whom where able to exit the state to some where else did so. Still did not deter elected state leaders from spending more then was taken in. Applies to every state presently in debit.

Bad choices and excess spending at the state levels wiped out too much of the states tax base. Add in deregulation which allowed companies to move off shore at will (without congressional approval) plus free trade (NAFTA GATT) and what you get is very little tax base. Unemployment numbers increased too. Less Federal and State withholding tax base didn't help either.

So here we are. What is termed a service only economy. Problem is, you can't do business with people who have little left over spendable dollars or no money at all...!!!

America is broke.... We can thank our elected officials are all levels for the problems we currently have mostly. Demands for higher wages, benefits and pensions does not help either. Politicians at all levels listen to lobbyists and unions, etc more then they do us. It's all based upon where the $$$$ comes from for them and to them and what is in the best interests of our leaders. Not what is best for the state nor our country....

BTW: Buy AMERICAN whenever and wherever it's possible. Support us and not them. Keep jobs here, not there!!! Somewhere else is not better then right here in AMERICA!!!! IMO.

The End....

Search this Thread