Check the obvious

Old 10-08-12, 01:00 PM
Check the obvious

This afternoon I replaced the power supply in my desktop. We had a half second power interruption and would not turn back on. I did a couple of checks and figured the PS was fried. No big deal, it took less than a half hour to replace.

The problem started when I tried to turn it on. Nothing happened, not even the power supply pilot. I checked the outlet and the power cord. I removed and reinstalled the PS. Still nothing. I farted around for another hour checking the front panel switch (now I'm thinking the original PS wasn't bad and I wasted
$70 on a new one). I finally gave up and put the side covers back on thinking that I was either going to have to take it to a shop or replace it.

As I was carrying it out to the garage I noticed the voltage select switch was in the 220V position. That's how it came from the factory. I suspect there's a disgruntled assembly line worked in China with a smirk on his face thinking about how many people don't check the switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
If they set it to 120 at the factory and someone plugs it into a 240v plug a much bigger problems then not working, maybe a fried mother board and an angry customer. Maybe a large red sticker across the inlet on the PS saying it is set for 240v would be better.

Old 10-08-12, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Did you read the poorly translated instructions? Beer says no...lol. Not that they probably said to check it anyway.

Hey, I spent almost an hour trying to fix a friends son's audio problems. She asked me since I was the local "guru". Everything said it was working...but no sound. Tried all sorts of settings and adjustments. Checked power at the plug, it was good. Finally realized they'd been running it on batteries and had the wall wart plugged in to the headphone jack on the speaker. Some expert I am, huh?

Old 10-08-12, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Don't feel bad. The computer in my shop would not boot after I installed a new modem (yes I still have dial-up there). Checked all sorts of stuff and in a bit of frustration I finally went back to basics and checked to make sure everything was still securely plugged in. Sure enough I had somehow pulled a connector to the hard drive loose enough to cause trouble. Pushed in the connector and it booted right up.

Old 10-08-12, 04:08 PM
If they set it to 120 at the factory and someone plugs it into a 240v plug a much bigger problems then not working, maybe a fried mother board and an angry customer. Maybe a large red sticker across the inlet on the PS saying it is set for 240v would be better.
Plugging it into 240v would not harm the pc. The output of the power supply is the same no matter what the input is. You can take your pc to Europe and plug it into their power and have it work. All you need is a power cord adapter and the need to flip the switch. This applies to any electronic device that indicates it accepts 240v/120v input.

Old 10-08-12, 04:51 PM
No instructions - a box and somepacking material straight from Dell.

Old 10-08-12, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Had a customer with this really antique door chime. He said it had been in his grand mother's house when he was growing up. Did the usual checks of button and transformer no luck. I said to the customer it may be the chime has died after all these years I'm going to have to open it up and check it. He replied it couldn't be the chime. It had been restored about a year or so previous.

Opened it up and the so called restoration consisted of gutting the original electro-mechanicals and installing a cheap transistor chime and speaker powered by a couple of D cells. Problem solved.Dead battery. At first the customer didn't want to believe me. I had to explain the transformer no longer powered the the chime. It just operated a relay that energized the electronic chime. The beautiful chime tubes which I'm sure once made beautiful sound now just decorations. From the way he talked I suspect he paid at least couple of hundred dollars for what in reality was a ten dollar electronic chime and destruction of an antique.

Old 10-08-12, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
straight from Dell.
Isn't it odd that their company name and the place of eternal damnation rhyme?? Must be something to it. Just wait until you have to call India for a tech solution.

Old 10-08-12, 06:39 PM
I agree technical support it seems isn't too great from Dell but they do have good instructions on their website and much better than any other company does. Try to find out the same information on Acers website and you will never find it just the basics and not the more intricate ins and outs. Hp is kind of in the middle between the two companies.
As for checking the obvious and staying on the topic of computers I remember once I couldn't get one of my computers to start. I kept on looking around and trying to get it to work and getting more frustrated by the minute. Turns out I never looked at the obvious and that was the power strip it had fallen off the desk I have this particular computer on and when it did the switch had apparently been turned off. I was really mad with myself for not having looked at the obvious solution!