Swollen gums

Old 10-08-12, 07:47 PM
Swollen gums

I can't afford to see a dentist because I'm in a financial crisis. A week ago, my back tooth began to hurt when I chewed with it. After a few days the pain went away but turned into swollen gums. Now my jowls appear a tad bigger on the swollen side. Sometimes when I brush the gums that are swollen, it bleeds. I had this problem several times before in the past and it went away. The last time I had it was almost a year ago and it went away after constant brushing and strong mouthwash. This time the swelling is a bit larger and I can't afford a dentist. Are there any alternatives to treat this swollen gums? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Buy a Reach flosser (on shelf with toothbrushes and dental floss) and floss the area after every meal. You likely have a space between the teeth that is constantly getting jammed with food particles, which irritates the gums. When you brush that area, do so lightly to avoid irritating the gums. Mouthwash is good since it kills germs. If pain is a problem, warm salt water rinses can bring some relief. You can also buy some oral pain relief gel, which can give you some relief until the area calms down.

If the swelling and pain persists, you could have more serious problems than just impacted food in the gums and likely should have it checked out. Sometimes I have heard that university dental programs have discounted rates for their guinea pigs... I mean patients!

Old 10-08-12, 08:10 PM
I actually do have a space between the teeth where food tends to get stuck in there. I'll try the reach floss and mouthwash for a while and see if it gets better. Thanks!

Old 10-08-12, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
The Reach flossers are nice since you don't have to stick 4 fingers in your mouth to floss.

Old 10-08-12, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
If this doesn't help you need to be careful that you do not have an abscess.
An infection in the teeth or gums can spread and could cause blood poisoning.

Old 10-09-12, 02:16 AM
GregH and Xsleeper are right in warning you gum problems can lead to very serious problems. Xsleeper is also right in mentioning that universities will fix your mouth problems sometimes for free or at least on a sliding scale with payments being scheduled that you can afford. Where I live in Maryland the University of Maryland has a dental clinic and I think the University of Berkley California has a clinic. I am going to check and post it if I find it. Not Berkley but the University of California here is a link to the information you need Directory of Clinics | UCSF Dental Center | UCSF Dentistry. Don't let it go too long especially if you have sever pain!

Old 10-09-12, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A town near me has a clinic that is devoted just for helping people that don't have insurance or a lot of income. I think it's called Helping Hands. I don't know if it's just local or a national organization. Definitely something to check into - no sense in living with pain if you don't have too.

I've also heard that untreated dental problems can also lead to heart problems

Old 10-10-12, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
"I've also heard that untreated dental problems can also lead to heart problems" - This is true; the bacteria in the mouth can cause issues in the heart.

If aggressive flossing, brushing and mouthwash use don't make a difference within a few days, you need to find a way to get a dentist to take a look at this.