Gasoline prices!!!

Old 10-09-12, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
Gasoline prices!!!

I have been reading where people are stealing gas in CA, since the price shot up.

Then you get an article like this. Showing states with lowest prices.

The States with the Cheapest Gas - Yahoo! Finance

Although I guess its an average because NJ has some low prices too. I am sure the data will change from this link over time so I will note the price of $3.53 a gallon.

New Jersey Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in New Jersey

I feel bad for all the people who commute. When I commuted 100 miles a day and gas went from $2.50 to $3.00 back when, it really affected our lifestyle.
Instead of steak we were eating bologna.

Well I am glad my spouse works less then a mile from her job.

But my main issue is after all we are doing in the middle east why are these prices so high. But then again look at other country's.

Venezuela 12 cents????

CNN/Money: Global gas prices

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-12, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting. All southern states on that list, I suppose because of proximity to shipping.

Filled up the Beast this morning @ $3.57.

Old 10-09-12, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I lived in east tenn for over 20 yrs and all the little towns around me have consistently had gas prices that were with a nickel of each other..... until the last 6 months or so. Last time I went out gas prices were between $3.43 and $3.59 all within 5-20 miles from me.

Old 10-09-12, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We've got one mom and pop store between towns here, and they are trying to keep business and have constantly beat Chevron, BP, Citgo by a couple of cents. Hey, a couple of cents for 38 gallons ain't a lot, but it's the principle. I fill up there instead of at the big boys. Diesel is running $3.99 here with a few higher. I have to pass that increase ($1.84 when the omnipotent one took office) on to customers, who for the most part understand. They don't like it, but it's business.

Old 10-09-12, 02:59 PM
Just today we filled up our car and the price was $3.61 a gallon and I think the total was around $35.38 at a mom and pop in our neighborhood. The mom and pop are much closer to our house and we don't have to get in real heavy traffic. Prices might be a bit lower but still not to our families liking. Like you said Larry the prices were much better before the self appointed king came to being. No wonder it is hard for people to find jobs, gas and other things are making it hard.

Old 10-09-12, 03:16 PM
Most of the world is more than the U.S. because of lower taxes and fees. The extremely low prices are subsidized by the government for political purposes. Many of these countries have oil, but very little refining and storage capacity. Even Iran imports gasoline and diesel, while exporting and selling crude oil. - China buys North American crude because they will pay more than the pumpers can get in the same continent that it comes from.

Dick

Old 10-12-12, 07:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Here in our state our legislative leaders started an investigation as to why prices escalated so quickly and are so high. Based upon claims by the refineries there is a shortage of gasoline. Which there really isn't per claims of those whom know there is a several months supply in storage since the gasoline is made and stored months in advance.

Locally owned mom and pop retailers claim they have to pay a 30% higher fee for gasoline from the refiners. WHY? Refiners claim if they supplied the privately owned retailers the supply shortage would be worse which would then restrict themselves from suppling their own gas stations.

Present results, wholesale retailers like Costco, Wal-Marts and the mom and pop retailers simply shut down their stations. Buying at the higher prices would put themselves at risk of having a large supply in their tanks at the higher price when refineries suddenly lower the prices. The non brand name stations would then be caught off guard having to lower their prices, loose money to get ride of their inventory in their tanks. A ploy to run them out of business!!!!!

Bottom line. An attempt by refiners, all owned by the major brand companies, to run the privately owned stations out of business!!! We the retail customers are caught in the middle of this ploy without any way out of it.

Once the investigation is completed, if determined the shortage was a ploy with no real shortage, doubt any penalties will matter nor will us consumers get any refunds for over charges. We are caught in the middle pawns and screwed, regardless of the outcome............

BTW:
A few huge campaign contributions to some of our leaders will make the entire issue null and void I am sure. This shortage and high prices (Pain) at the pumps has happened many times over before without we consumers ever knowing what the final outcome ever was. Simply forgotten as time passes and never really resolved..............

Old 10-12-12, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the 80's a gas chain [AMOCO I think] was caught price fixing and along with the fine they had to give back to the consumers. This was done by lowering their gas prices at the pump. If I remember it was 5 cents or so less than everywhere else. This was in Fla and I don't know if it was just local or a national thing.

Old 10-12-12, 10:21 AM
Most of the world is more than the U.S. because of lower taxes and fees. The extremely low prices are subsidized by the government for political purposes. Many of these countries have oil, but very little refining and storage capacity. Even Iran imports gasoline and diesel, while exporting and selling crude oil. - China buys North American crude because they will pay more than the pumpers can get in the same continent that it comes from.

Dick
Paid $1.369 per L for regular last night for the wife's van. My car was $1.499 for Premium.
Cost me over $150 to fill both vehicles last night, both of which had a quarter tank when we got to the station (never go below a quarter).

I would gladly take the price you guys pay for fuel. Heck, I'll take the price from the most expensive state, and still come out better then here, and we produce the stuff (well in Alberta, not Ontario).