Being blamed for their wrong (Road Right Of Way)

Old 10-10-12, 03:10 PM
Being blamed for their wrong (Road Right Of Way)

I've been driving for years without any tickets or accidents because I make it an all out effort to watch for "other drivers" as well as my driving. Well today, as I reached a four-way intersection, I approached the stop sign the same exact time a car on the right of me did. I let him go because he had the right of way. The next thing you know, as I took my turn to go, another car on the right comes speeding up to the stop sign (pauses for 1/5th of a second) and tries to speed past me. I almost ran into him. He then has the audacity to wag his finger at me as if to say, shame on me, you're a bad driver, or no no!. These types of situations happen to me a lot and I suppose it's because I live in a city where there's a lot of bad drivers. Has anyone ever came across situations where the other person was clearly in the wrong but then tried to turn the tables and make it look like you were the one that's wrong? And this not only happens in driving, but in other real life situations. How should one react in these situations? Should I just ignore it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-12, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
How should one react in these situations? Should I just ignore it?

I ignore it all. Too many idiots in the world these days. I don't get myself in a tizzy over those things.

Old 10-10-12, 03:38 PM
I too ignore idiot drivers. If I let them get to me I would probably stroke out. It's not worth it.

Old 10-10-12, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We get our influx of people from a sandy state south of us in the summer. I was preparing to turn left in a turn lane, sitting still, blinker on. Now this is a Dodge Ram 3500 dually, so it isn't invisible, OK? Coming at me was a Lincoln Towncar, in the turn lane, WAO. I pray that it doesn't hurt too bad to die. He slammed on his brakes, salutes me in typical Florida fashion, goes around me shaking his fist and gets back in the turn lane to proceed through town !!! I saw his license plate in my mirror and immediately forgave him for he knew not what he did.

Old 10-10-12, 05:59 PM
I also ignore them. What REALLY frosts my rear are the jerks that cannot stay in the same lane as they make a left-hand turn. They are in the left turn lane and through the turn they drift over to the right-hand lane.

And by the way, NOBODY EVER HAS the "right of way" but in many instances a person is required to YIELD the right of way to someone else.

Old 10-10-12, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
What REALLY frosts my rear are the jerks that cannot stay in the same lane as they make a left-hand turn. They are in the left turn lane and through the turn they drift over to the right-hand lane.
Oh.....love that one Furd

Old 10-10-12, 06:29 PM
I always liked the Paul Harvey commentary on "the right of way". It is not yours to take, but only yours to give.

When it gets really bad, like the guy that was blowing a red light almost every morning, I decided I didn't want to wait for him to kill someone. So, living in a small town, I caught his plate number and had a short conversation with my friend, our police chief. Funny, the guy learned how to stop for red lights. I never asked what transpired, but it worked and some innocent person/family out there can be very thankful it did.

Bud

Old 10-10-12, 06:30 PM
What REALLY frosts my rear are the jerks that cannot stay in the same lane as they make a left-hand turn. They are in the left turn lane and through the turn they drift over to the right-hand lane.
But Furd, how else are they going to get those big rigs around the turn safely?

Old 10-10-12, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
salutes me in typical Florida fashion,
Thats been the NJ state bird for some years now.....

Old 10-11-12, 02:48 AM
Mike, you're probably right. Most of them are northern transplants, anyway, so it could be inherent. Nobody ever retires to the north, right??

Old 10-24-12, 06:31 AM
We call that the Trudeau Salute here (Canadian history joke Urban Dictionary: Trudeau salute).

Old 10-24-12, 11:12 AM
I remember Trudeau's hottie wife. She was heavy into sex, drugs rock and roll and flashing the paparazzi.

Old 10-24-12, 05:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Mike

LMAO also...HA HA...

Another one that makes me mad is drivers whom do not know who has the right of way on a hill or a steep inclined roadway. Vehicles going up hill or those going down hill???

Who has the right of way????

Vehicles going down hill are suppose to yield to vehicles going up hill. Reason. No vehicle going UP hill should attempt to back down hill nor stop while going up hill. Much to risky. To easy to loose control of a vehicle backing up or stopping going up hill.

Especially while towing!!!! Vehicle going down hill backs up or pulls way over to allow vehicle going up hill to safely pass by. Far less risky.

Amazing how many drivers do not do so. Think they either have the right of way, will take the right of way anyway, do not want to stop, do not know who has the right of way...... or simply do not give a DAM!!!!......

Until the see my front bumper as we both round a blind hair pin turn...... What they see is a Huge front bumper guard on one ton truck with winch and/or encounter me while in tow on windy road with lots of hair pin blind corners and turns....

Your thoughts??? Your encounters with such drivers. Or maybe you're one of them whom didn't know or simply doesn't care....HA HA.

Old 10-24-12, 06:11 PM
Never heard of "right of way" on a hill. But then I haven't been everywhere, yet. Must be a local custom. Here, in the mountains, it is "understood" the vehicle against the mountain allows the one on the outside to pass if the road doesn't allow for two abreast. But "right of way". like Bud9051 quoted, it isn't yours to take, but yours to give.

Old 10-24-12, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
How did I miss this thread earlier, especially with Larry's comments!

We get ALL the worst drivers down here. I love it when I have someone in the wrecker who bemoans how BAD drivers are in Florida. My stock response is to mention that 95% of those drivers learned how to drive in another state.

Here's a partial list of things I see all the time:

Left turn through a red turn arrow.
U-turn through red turn arrow.
Right turn on red from left turn lane.
Wrong way on a one-way
Stopping too far back from line to activate the sensor for the turn arrow, then getting PO'd and running the red turn arrow.
Stopping all the way past the line/sensor, same result.
Sitting at a standstill in #2 lane while traffic whizzes by in the #3 lane because they want to turn into a business.
Left turn from the through lane next to the turn lane.
Run the intersection from a through lane when the left turn arrow comes on.
Backing up from the lane next to the turn lane to get into the turn lane.
Sitting at a standstill on a green light in the #1 lane (not the turn lane) with traffic backed up behind them because they want to make an (illegal) left turn and it's a "trailing" turn arrow or they missed the turn arrow cycle.

I've probably forgotten dozens of variations.

I rarely have right-of-way issues in the wrecker.

Silly season has started in earnest as of Monday; looked like traffic doubled over the weekend.

Old 10-24-12, 08:18 PM
As a kid I was taught that drivers coming down a hill should yield to drivers going up the hill. That included backing up the hill if necessary. That convention is sometimes superceded by the "tonnage rules" axiom when logging trucks are involved.

Larry, I've seen signage on narrow mountain roads that says the same thing but I can't remember where. My guess is either Colorado or Washington state but that's just a guess.

Old 10-24-12, 08:56 PM
Regarding "right-of-way" issues...I took a defensive driving course several years ago. It was taught by the drum major of my high school days. In his defense, Ray also spent two decades in the Washington State Patrol and was at the time working as a Traffic Safety Officer for King County Metro Transit.

When discussing right-of-way Ray was adamant that NO ONE EVER HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY but that certain situations required a driver to YIELD the right-of-way to another driver or person. ONLY when the "burdened" driver actually did yield did the other person have any rights.

I know, it is a fine point but people have been killed thinking they had some magical right-of-way over the other driver.

Old 10-25-12, 02:38 AM
Silly season has started in earnest as of Monday; looked like traffic doubled over the weekend.
You got a few more coming in the next week or so, mainly "leaf lizards". They hang on until the change of leaves has peaked, then we have peace and quiet for 5 months if we're lucky.

Yeah, out west, I guess you have long stretches of road with no abutted mountains involved. Most of ours do, so ours is more of an "inside/outside" thing, more than "up and down". Same theory, though.

Old 10-25-12, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the early 70's I lived/worked in Tallahassee Fla where they have a lot of one way streets. At least once a week I'd have to avoid a head on collision on one of those one way streets

I know what TG is talking about with the traffic in Fla. When you mix the driving styles of multiple states along with the different agendas [workers, retiree's, vacationers and a handful of foreign drivers] it really makes traffic something to deal with. No where else have I seen an accident on the shoulder of the interstate that would stop all 6 lanes of traffic

Old 10-25-12, 08:54 AM
Every time I get off the freeway at the exit near my house I prepare to do battle with the idiots on the access road. They have two yield signs with small signs below that state "yield to ramp traffic" and probably one day in four I have to force my way through. Fortunately my daily driver a large rear-wheel-drive four door sedan, so they normally yield eventually. My wife's little two door hatchback doesn't intimidate enough and it's annoying.

I used to drive a beat up white '79 Cordoba with no straight sheet metal, no hubcaps, but perfect huge chrome bumpers and a header panel that was untouched. No one EVER messed with me in that car. We had bought that car as a parts car for my '78, but it ran so well that we never took it apart completely. Sold it running to a coworker actually. I kind of miss it, it looked awful but being given a wide berth was a very nice fringe benefit, and the AC and heat worked in it.

Old 10-25-12, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
My father had one of these. He owned the road pretty much. Not sure if it was the car, that could fit 10 bodies in the trunk, or the fact he was Italian.

Imaging this coming at you!!!

Attached Images    
Old 10-25-12, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
I remember those...with the hideaway headlights, it was hard to tell which was the front and which was the rear.

I remember my Dads last company car from Frigidaire (owned by GM at the time).... 1974 or 1975 Grand Ville with a 455. Man I loved that boat! What a backseat!