A bit of a mystery

Old 10-17-12, 05:46 AM
chandler,
Epson and Agfa make the best film scanners I know of. A couple years ago (before kids), the wife and I had seriously kicked around the idea of taking my photography (and photo restoration) to the next step and set up a home shop. I can't remember the model numbers, but Epson and AGFA had the two scanners I was looking at. Both could do 110, 35mm, and medium and large format film.
Both units I had looked at where capable of scanning (and auto identifying) negitive and positive film (standard film and projector slides).

the_tow_guy,
Correct. It is just more time consuming (very) and a lot more steps.
I had done scanning runs of family photos (100-200 photo batches) and I'll tell you.... very, very long and painful process. A film scanner (specially one that can scan and seporate) a roll of film in one pass would save tons of time (and beer), but will cost you. They are a lot cheaper now then when we looked. When we looked into it, our budget was ~$1k for our entry (consumer, not commercial) level scanner.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-12, 11:00 AM
The Epson scanner you mentioned Larry has had a price reduction to $150.00 on Amazon.com. I can't order it now I have to go somewhere but will when I get back. I wanted you and everyone else to know. I have checked fairly extensively into it and it looks promising. When I get it I will post a review to let you know what I think of it. It has the newer LED technology so the lamp on it should last a very long time.

Old 10-17-12, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I also went to Photoshop's blog/forum site, and even Photoshop recommends either the software for the scanner I already have, or buy a specific negative scanner. The Epson is the only one I saw that would do larger format. Waiting.......................!!

Old 10-17-12, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone not sure if anyone thought about buying the Epson V500 or not but I thought that number was right and thought it was a reduction in price. Well I was wrong the correct model is the Epson Perfection V600 not the V500. They look the same but the difference is the plastic tray and maybe even in how it scans somewhat as far as film is concerned. Anyway I bought mine on Amazon.com as I had gift certificates but I have found it cheaper at B&H Photo video. Here is the link for the B&H listing Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner B11B198011 B&H Photo Video . They have it cheaper than Amazon.com by $12.00 or so. Here is the full model number Epson B11B198011 Perfection V600 Photo Scanner. Not sure about B&H I have heard of them but nothing positive or negative. Anyway they also ship for free which is real nice. Not sure when I will get the scanner I went for free Super Saver shipping from Amazon.com and they say about 5-8 days. So after I get it set up and get used to it I will post a picture and let you guys know what I find out. It looks like a good scanner but who knows it might or might not be. I have a Canon now but I have to scan each individual picture at a time and then move the negative. They have improved the scanners though but so far I haven't seen them make the same type of scanner that Epson has made with the larger film being scan-able. The more I hear though about other scanners the more I will post and let you know if others can do the same things as the Epson can. So this is by no means an endorsement of this scanner even though so far my opinion of it is fairly high from what I have read and seen.

Old 10-18-12, 12:47 AM
Scanner Picture

I thought I would show everyone what the new scanner will look like under the lid which is where the important stuff goes on with the new scanner. I don't have the scanner yet but took pictures of an older scanner I have that no longer works the way it should and it's really too old to be very useful anymore.
Name:  DSC_0218.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  17.8 KB Well these came out in reverse order but the bottom picture has a lid cover something like the new scanner will have. See the top box like thing with the inner cover removed? That is for scanning film and this scanner did fair but nothing like my current scanner and as for the new one it hasn't come yet so I can't say. The newer scanner will have a longer film window and it will be wider which makes it better than this even if it still worked good. So some scanners are great for just documents and some are just good for film and documents. Then there are others that do even better. So it all depends.

Attached Images  
Old 10-19-12, 05:38 AM
I thought I would toss up a quick couple photos that I had scanned. I didn't have too much time last night to dig through the thousands of family photos I have scanned over the years, so here are only a few that might be of interest.
The first few are the older ones I found at a quick glance (formal photographer). The last three where informal, taken with family owned equipment. Based on the pictures, my dad's side of the family was reasonably well off for working class folk.

As per the writing on the back of the photo, this is my grant grandmother's great grand parents. My great grand mother was born in 1902, and these two are 3 generations older. A wild guess, I'm thinking they where in their 40's, I'd have to guess this photo is from the late 1870's, more then likely early 1980's.
Mr. and Mrs. Watson from NY.
Name:  Nanny's Great Grandparents Mr.&Mrs. Watson.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  30.8 KB

Great, great grandmother (estimated 1900-1910)
Name:  Mrs.Johnson(Nanny's Mother).jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.4 KB

Great, great grandfather
Name:  Mr. Johnson(Nanny's Father).jpg
Views: 193
Size:  50.3 KB

My great grand mother in Cache Bay Ontario, date unknown (estimated 1925)
Name:  Nanny Cashe bay.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  24.0 KB

My grandfather (dad's side) on a 1956 BMW R69 (My dad still owns this bike, and is restoring it next year)
Name:  Jim Lawrence.(Cobourg,Ont.).jpg
Views: 142
Size:  45.6 KB

Keeping with the car theme... make and model? (my dad and grandfather)
Name:  Jim and His Father.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  31.9 KB

Old 10-19-12, 05:59 PM
Nice pictures Northern Mike I really enjoyed looking at them as well the others everyone else has posted. I received the scanner today and I found yet another scanner on Amazon.com that I will tell everyone about the next time I post a picture from the new scanner. All I had time for today was loading software onto the computer as it came to my house kind of late. So a little bit of experimenting with the scanner and then posting the picture and a review.

Old 10-20-12, 05:33 AM
Mike, it's a 1952 whatever it is. Looks close like a Studebaker Commander. Three rear windows, chrome strip across top of wheel well, wheel cover and bumper are similar.

Old 10-24-12, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by chandler
Mike, it's a 1952 whatever it is. Looks close like a Studebaker Commander. Three rear windows, chrome strip across top of wheel well, wheel cover and bumper are similar.
Very possible that you are correct. I suspect the photo was from 1958 or 1959 based on the age of my dad. It's probably from 1959 as my dad's birthday is mid November, 1957.

I found a few other interesting pictures including photos of my great grandmother's house from the 1920's (which is now a vacant lot) and a card I remember scanning. It was a membership card for the "Lone Chiefs of America", dated Oct 15th 1915, Cache Bay Ontario. A quick google search indicates that 1915 was the year that club started (in the US) and was later merged with the Boy Scouts of America in 1920.

Old 10-26-12, 01:39 AM
Pictures and Recommendations

Hi everyone been a while since I last posted anything since I last had my mystery picture and I thank everyone again in helping me solve my mystery. Anyway I just tried my Epson Perfection V600 photo scanner and I must say it did a great job of doing a test picture of what I think is probably Gettysburg Virginia a real long time ago and probably into the early 1960's. The picture will be below after my comments. Overall the scanner isn't bad but you do have to get used to how the scanner works.
For film it needs to be upside down otherwise the next image on larger format film will be cut off. As for scanning other things I scanned a copy of our specimen ballot we received in the mail and found it was upside down. There are several modes and I wasn't really using a preview mode for the ballot so I suggest scanning one page and then saving it as a PDF file and seeing what the results are. There are instructions but they are a bit sketchy so you kind of have to decide on your own about some things but for film scanning at least I found the instructions adequate.
As for price for these types of scanners you will find a range of prices and capabilities here is one link to a whole page of these 120mm film scanner | B&H Photo Video . Yet another link to just one at Amazon.com that is a dedicated film scanner and a bit cheaper since it only scans film here is that link Amazon.com: Pacific Image MemorEase ST Multi Format Slide & Film Converter - 2400dpi, for Mac or Windows: Electronics . So as you can see by looking each link over a whole range of prices and abilities. For my money and what I need it for though I really like the Epson at least for now as my opinion may change over time. Now for the picture you decide for yourself Name:  Gettysburg001.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  35.6 KB The scanner software will allow you to change resolutions and brightness and color correction as well as other things too before you save your scanned images. You can either make changes to one picture or to all pictures you scan on the one negative and the scanner software turns each picture into a separate file so you don't need to separate them. I think too you can crop a picture as you scan and I know you can rotate an image before it is scanned and saved which saves some time. I found at least on Amazon.com that when I put in a search for 120mm film scanners some would scan film yes but not 120mm or medium format film so I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed. These scanners that I am showing you in the links are about the only ones out there. I am sure there probably are more on Amazon.com I just haven't had the time to do any further research.
Well it sure has been a fun journey into the past and now that the mystery has been solved I was wondering if one of the moderators could change the name to fun old photos. Perhaps other would like to share some really old photos I know I have enjoyed seeing the old photos and I know others have too.

Old 10-26-12, 09:09 AM
It's probably Colonial Williamsburg, VA. Gettysburg (site of Bobby Lee's famous butt kicking ) is in PA.

Old 10-26-12, 12:59 PM
You are absolutely right Wayne I think it is Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia it was getting kind of late. Sure would like to see more contributions of old pictures.

Old 10-26-12, 02:33 PM
the car in the picture is a 52-54 nash..the one in the background is 55 ford

Old 10-26-12, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
I'd lay odds street view in Google earth would show Williamsburg. Very little has changed there...at least in the last 20-30 yrs. Might take a lot of moving around to find the same scene.

I lived 40 miles south of CW and visited several times. That was my first thought when I saw the pic.

Old 10-26-12, 03:38 PM
You are right, tile guy, with the gas cap in the right hand tail light. Just lift the chrome piece and there it is. Good eyes.

Old 11-03-12, 07:08 PM
I thought I should update everyone on the scanner I just bought. It seems to be great for the large format film but for 35mm it doesn't work all that well. It cuts pictures in half and cuts peoples heads off if they are standing up. You can buy some software for it called Vuescan and I tested it but don't know that I care for that all that much either not to mention the extra cost. It took me a while to get back to the 35mm films and when I finally did I tried using the new scanner. Well luckily the old scanner I have works better even though it is slow. I will post a review I found online after I bought the scanner, later on. If I had read it I might not have bought it but it isn't too bad of a scanner. If I get a chance before time is up I will add the link to this post and if not then I will post the link later. Thank goodness I had Amazon.com gift certificates so I could buy it. I am sorry if someone else bought it and was disappointed. They did come out with a software update that seems to have helped but it wasn't enough of an improvement. I certainly will inform them of the problem.

Old 11-03-12, 11:32 PM
Here is the link to the review I was talking about Scanner Review: Epson Perfection V600 . Still for its few flaws in its software this isn't that bad a scanner and I would still recommend it with some reservations. The thing to remember too is that no scanner is absolutely perfect no matter who makes it.