A bit of a mystery

Old 10-12-12, 01:11 AM
A bit of a mystery

As some of you might be aware I have been scanning family pictures, well I have one that is a mystery as to where a restaurant was once located. I am sure by now that it is no longer in existence since this is a very old picture taken many years ago. If no one knows I guess it will not matter and I can take a guess but it would be nice to have the state if possible. It would be on the east coast only we haven't traveled out west yet. Anyway if nothing else it is an interesting photo here is the photo Name:  Old Restaurant.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  41.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-12, 06:26 AM
The rear of the car makes the photo look really old, but the color quality is really, really good.
Had you done any color corrections to the photo?
Based on the color quality (saturation, etc), that photo looks to be 1980's at the oldest under normal home/family photo storage conditions.

Unfortunately I am not old enough to be able to identify the car from the little bit that is shown, at that size of photo.

If you can nail down an aproximate date of the photo (based on the photo's contents, quality, and markings on the back of the photo), it would be easier to identify the location as you know when it did exist.

Old 10-12-12, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I think of a very old photo - I think black and white

Wild guess on the car would be late 60's/early 70's ford or rambler station wagon. The log building looks like it ought to be in the Appalachians somewhere..... but that covers a lot of ground.

Old 10-12-12, 07:36 AM
thats a 66-67 ford fairlane/torino station wagon. when i traveled the blue ridge parkway/skyline drive thru southern Virginia in the mid 70's there were many small family owned restaurants like these along the way. Check that area, close to the north carolina border. We had a family reunion there every year. It looks kinda familiar.

Old 10-12-12, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Little late but here is the car emblem. Not enough pixels to do much better.

Old 10-12-12, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
thats a 66-67 ford fairlane/torino station wagon
Are you sure? I don't think the side marker lights came out until 1968.
My eye isn't good enough to read the emblem in either pic

Old 10-12-12, 09:55 AM
yea, i think your right..i had to look it up, was going off of memory...hey I was close. Anyway, its dating the picture. The screen door, metal chairs and awnings date the picture too, also "trailsyde" name would indicate its close to the appalacian trail and blue ridge mountains

Old 10-12-12, 10:16 AM
When I think of a very old photo - I think black and white
My Grandfather shot color photos back in the 50's-60's. He was a huge techy (as big as you could get back then) and had to have the latest and greatest cameras (video or still) that he could afford.
The pigment in the early color photos of his are faded. The (I think) late 60's early 70's color photos would turn a yellowish orange tone.
Now these where photos stored in albums and shoe boxes. If stored in an idea environment, they could have come out different.

Are you sure? I don't think the side marker lights came out until 1968.
My eye isn't good enough to read the emblem in either pic
The 65 Impalla had side markers, the 64 didn't.
I know because the 64 Impalla SS is the car my dad would buy at first sight if he could find one completely original (matching numbers) and in decent shape. When we would see an Impalla at a show or parts swap, he'd point out the differences between that model year and the 64.

Based on the general concensis, the car is late 60's, maybe early 70's, and given that the cars where not as disposable back then (recycled metal in the late 70's-80's?), I would date this photo to be late 70's or even early 80's based on normal shoebox type storage.

Just a guess.
If I had the time tonight, I would go through my grandfather's photos and compare the color qualities with the one above.

Old 10-12-12, 01:31 PM
Actually as to the car it is a Ford Torino a tile guy you are absolutely right about the car. I think the model year is about 1971 or so it has been a long time. This was my grandmother's car and she drove about everywhere with it. The car was a full sized station wagon and it had an electric back window. My grandmother had that as her last car and several years before she passed away it needed body work on the door as it had a great deal of rust there. By that time the motors were fairly hard to find but the body shop guy was great and fixed it right up for her with a back hatch/door that worked great from then on.
It could very well be the Appalachian mountains as we used to go to glass factories that were in Pennsylvania and West Virginia and some probably in the Maryland mountains. As to Virginia itself sometimes we went there and sometimes not. Bought some really nice glassware at those glass factories back in the old days and little places like this were around. So I kind of have an idea as to the state but I still can't say for a certainty so it still remains a bit of a mystery. Hopefully this additional information is helpful.

Old 10-12-12, 01:40 PM
Interesting thread.

I don't think it's the Appalachians though.. It looks like Colorado to me for some reason. The sign on the roof says "Pepsi" - I think that's a Pepsi thermometer next to the door too.. Isn't Pepsi more common in the North? That may be a clue.

Old 10-12-12, 01:49 PM
No not Colorado as my grandmother never traveled that far although she was from that area originally. By the way I forgot to tell you that this picture is from negatives that I had stored. So there is no looking on the back of the photo possible. The scanner I currently have can only do one picture at a time so it is taking a long time. Nice how it can bring out an old photo though even if it is a bit tedious and time consuming. This particular scanner can only do 35mm film and I have brownie style negatives too so I am going to buy another scanner fairly shortly and be able to do my whole collection. Many of the pictures I know were lost long ago so this is an interesting trip to the past.

Old 10-12-12, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well....I believe I may have a winner for you.....saw an old Ebay auction feedback when I did a search for Trailsyde Inn (make sure the browser doesn't change the spelling name). Couldn't actually see the feedback (seller has like 900 pages of feedback...at 200 listings per page!), but I saw enough that it gave a city and state.

Then I did a search with that info (nope...not telling you yet) and it came up with an archived 1966 newspaper want ad for "girl for restaurant work". Can't see that completely either since it's a pay for service.

I don't doubt this was probably it...the town is right on/in a well known State forest and near what looks like a pretty big State park. And the old National Pike went right through it before the Interstate came in.

Drum roll please............

Flintstone MD!

I'd do a little research and maybe call the town hall or a historical society in the area.

And before anyone says I have too much time on my hands....that was after I changed cat boxes, took out the trash, showered, and went to the gym for 45 min......so there!

Old 10-12-12, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
I was on that scent, too, but got called away and didn't get back to finish tracking.

Old 10-12-12, 02:16 PM
Thank you Gunguy45 for the research I too looked on the internet but couldn't find a thing. It very well could be Flintstone MD as I kind of remember a Flintstone before we got up in the mountains of West Virginia. I will do more research myself and let everyone know of the outcome. Thank you again! Don't be surprised if you see more mystery pictures over the course of time it takes me to do everything which will be a while yet.

Old 10-14-12, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OLD?! 1971 OLD?! It's in color so it ain't OLD! This is old:

Pix of my great grandmother holding my sister with me along side, circa 1952.

Old 10-14-12, 04:59 AM
circa 1952.
Ah, the before times. .

Old 10-14-12, 07:18 PM
Larry I agree that is an old picture. Some of the pictures I have may even be older than 1952 and were pictures my mom or grandma took way before I was born. Of course some of those we still have as pictures like you have so I could copy from those pictures but since I am going to copy all negatives it is just easier to just copy them only. Then too as I mentioned some pictures are missing either because they were given away,lost,thrown away etc. I encourage everyone on the forum to copy their negatives or slides it takes time to do it but is really worth it as every day that goes by they fade and eventually the pictures are gone.
So far as I know there hasn't been any response to my e-mails to the Flinstone Maryland area I had sent one to the chamber of commerce and one to a newspaper. If I don't hear anything at all I am going with your research Gunguy45 and just calling it Flinstone Maryland. It would be nice though to have a little bit of information about the area and maybe a bit about the restaurant even though it isn't much of a place. Outside appearances though can be deceiving as I have been to many places that didn't look like much outside but had great food inside.

Old 10-15-12, 02:04 AM
I have been to many places that didn't look like much outside but had great food inside
Wifey is from Florida, I'm from North Georgia. We live in the mountains. I taught her early on how to spot good food joints......it's the places with all the pick up trucks parked at 6am. Never fails.

Old 10-15-12, 05:43 AM
chandler,

I have photos from the late 50's that where originally color. They are pretty faded now though. Color has been out for some time.
I'll see about posting an old pic or two tonight. I have a few from the late 1800's I had scanned for a photo family tree project.

Old 10-15-12, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

1971 Ford Torino Wagon,

Old 10-15-12, 06:55 AM
I had an aunt that took all of her old pictures, sorted through, and then provided details and research she new about each so the pictures and descriptions could be color copied for future generations. At the time it was about $60 to have the final issue copied and bound. But once she sent those out, the requests from the much extended family came pouring in. She took orders for all willing to pay the printing cost, all did, and printed up a ton of them.

Along with the pictures fading are the memories that go with them.

Bud

Old 10-15-12, 07:31 AM
Hedge - I think you may be looking for info in the wrong place. Try a local historical society or the town library. Both will probably hold business directories. A town clerks office (or county clerk) will likely hold tax, license and property records. Apparently Flintstone is unincorporated so you may have to go to the county level.

Old 10-15-12, 01:40 PM
Mike nice picture of a Ford Torino wagon and it looks just like my grandma's only in much better condition as she didn't like washing it much with her arthritis and didn't like going through the car wash. She lived in the next city over until just close to her death when she moved next door to us so we didn't get a chance to clean it much ourselves.
Wayne I thought about that I found out on Wikipedia that Flintstone is unincorporated so maybe the county level would be better but I was hoping for someone a bit closer who might recognize the place. At the county level they probably wouldn't and as for historic societies a good idea that I might look into further but up in that area I don't think they bother much with preserving history much.
Larry I know what you mean as far as early business is concerned we have friends in Coltons Point Maryland and there was and maybe still is a place called the Halfway House. I know the name isn't too appealing and it sounds like a place you would go to after getting out of jail but the food inside was great. We would go down to Coltons Point early and stay down there all day long as the drive was fairly far away and you could always see cars parked all around the place. Again another place that wasn't much to look at at least not at the time but as I said good food. Best thing on the menu was the crab cakes but not as good as what came from our friends kitchen down the road even further away so we usually ate a little snack of something there and then went on. Just the friends grown kids living down there now. The old pictures bring back some fond memories.
Bud9051 a good idea and I am glad your aunt did that. I am doing some of the same things and I will be adding names on the pictures only it will be on CD-Rom. Might give a copy to a friend too in case anything ever happens to my computer either through storms,fire etc. That way he will have a master copy of everything. He is doing some of the same things only with him it is slides and maybe some film so I will offer him the same protection and keep his pictures in a safe place.

Old 10-15-12, 02:26 PM
Northern Mike, I have scanned bunches of photographs onto my Ancestry.com page, many from the 1800's. Lest we forget, photography wasn't mainstream until about the end of the War of Northern Aggression. So most of our recorded history is in drawings and words.
OK, I am interested in what y'all use for scanning negatives. I have a ton..........maybe only a half a ton of negatives in those boxes mom stored in the barn, that I would like to bring to life. They are, however, mostly medium format negatives, not 35mm.

Old 10-15-12, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Larry,

Had to lol at "War of Northern Aggression"....my Virginia born and bred Ex-wife (her Mom's half was from NC) always called it "War for States Rights". I guess she was a tad more moderate that you...

Old 10-15-12, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I used the term "carpetbaggers" once on the forum and ruffled a few feathers, and although it was a fact of life, I backed down. There was nothing "Civil" about war.

Now this one is from late 1800's. When I posted it online, I got emails from all over wanting to know where I got it. It seems all the others in circulation had the face of the #4 from left scratched out. It appears he was caught in an inappropriate moment, so they disowned him.

Old 10-15-12, 03:32 PM
Name:  Nancy Mitchell daughters.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  38.3 KB

Some girl friends for your guys?

Larry I always suspected you were a "Lost Cause" guy.

I had a direct ancestor that fought in most of the major battles of the Old Brigade (1st Vermont Brigade). Another was taken captive at Weldon Station and interred at Andersonville. The Old Brigade's 13th and 16th VT regiments were most responsible for stopping Pickett's charge. If you've been to Gettysburgh and stood at the "bloody angle", that's where the battle was decided.

Old 10-15-12, 03:42 PM
Not lost, just a long 7th inning stretch.

These old photographs amaze me with their formalness. One side of my family was apparently well off, thus the suits and ties you saw. My dad's side were farmers. Best they could do was a new pair of overalls and a white shirt for church.

Old 10-15-12, 03:53 PM
You can't look at these old photographs and not wonder about who the person was. Not just their name but what they did and how they lived. The 6 sisters in the photograph were daughters of one of my ancestors. She married and they moved west ito Iowa n hte early 1840's when she was barely 19. How scary that must have been.

I spent the weekend cemetery crawling in the backwoods of Vermont. We photograph old cemeteries and headstones and upload them to FAG. I found this one that left me wondering - Name:  Five Children.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  47.8 KB

Old 10-15-12, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
But Wayne....by 19 in those days they may have been married for 3 years and knew how to manage a household. People died in their 40's and 50's unless they were extremely rich....can't wait til they are 30 to make big decisions about their lives. My how times have changed. Now we have people going to school for 4,5,6+ yrs and deciding they want to make coffee for a living and live with their parents.

At 17 I knew I wanted to get the heck out and see what was there....38 yrs later, after traveling all over the world, I just want to sit at home and relax.

Old 10-15-12, 05:07 PM
I know the feeling. I went to one semester of college, decided that wasn't for me. I took a good look at my draft number and decided enlisting (my choice) would be better than getting drafted (their choice).
I don't know how many times we moved in 22 years (my kid went to 4 schools one year) but I don't regret a bit of it. We've lived in the same place for 30 years now and my next move will be no further than a plot in a cemetery at the end of my street.

Old 10-15-12, 05:57 PM
Wane, the stone didn't have a date, but from the inscription design, I'd say mid to late 1800's, and the mortality rate for infants back then was phenomenal. Quints were probably never even heard of. Such a tragedy for the family.

Old 10-16-12, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by chandler
These old photographs amaze me with their formalness. One side of my family was apparently well off, thus the suits and ties you saw. My dad's side were farmers. Best they could do was a new pair of overalls and a white shirt for church.
Unlike today, photographs where very expensive to have done, and took a lot of effort to get just one photo. It was a big deal to have one done, so ya, everyone was very formal.

The really old photos would have been on heavy cardboard, almost mdf grade like the one you posted. Those are the really old ones.
Later, most photos where done on a post card style finish. Some of the ones I had where even mailed.

My grandfather and great grandfather where big into cameras, and although not well off, spent every spare penny on cameras and film. I have a few less formal photos kicking around from the very end of the 1800's and a lot from 1920-1930's.
The earliest family videos we've discovered where from the late 1950's. I have a 3 second clip of my dad running around in a diaper.

Hopefully I can get online tonight if it's not too late when I get home. I'll dig up a few of the old pics I have scanned. None are online. Guess I should upload them to a site somewhere.

Old 10-16-12, 07:31 AM
Larry, I doubt they were quints but it's possible, more likely they just kept burying them in the same hole and they finally put up a stone. You're right about the age though. Most of the stones in this cemetery date from the 1800's.

Old 10-16-12, 03:37 PM
I agree those really old photos were a really big deal back in the old days because of the cost to have a photo taken and the special handling. If you didn't handle the negative right which in the very early days if memory serves me right was actually glass then your picture was ruined. Later on they found that glass wasn't a good idea so they went to the type of film you see today but that was only one shot and then develop it and the negative was still huge! They then realized later on that they could use smaller cameras and still get a good picture. Anyone though remember the 110 camera? They were not too bad but the picture never was real great and the cameras could be easily broken so you had to be a bit careful with them. I have a few negatives from that but not as many as the really old films in the brownie camera. I am going to buy a scanner that can scan those and I will see how it works. If it works great I will post here that it does and if not I will not say anything about it. I have a real old picture of my great grand dad and his orchestra he had before the depresssion I will post later. The picture right now is on my laptop. It is the way the great old bands used to look at the dance halls and I think you would like to see it.

Old 10-16-12, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
RE the "5 Infant children" headstone....very often things like that are from fires or sickness. I remember a similar one in the village cemetery where I grew up. It had a bit more information but it was one headstone for some infants that had died in the County Children's home in the late 1800's (which was still in operation in the 70's). IIRC it was flu or measles? It had only the first names of 5 infants and they were all in one grave.

Old 10-16-12, 10:40 PM
Dance Hall Picture

Here is the picture of the dance hall my great grand dad had. It was in Colorado before the depression. This was from a photograph so I know a bit more about it than the negatives. By the way Gunguy45 I now have confirmation that the restaurant was in Flinstone Maryland and from all accounts I think it was torn down but I am not sure. Apparently the owner of the shop owns a hair salon so I might call her and ask some questions about it if they have the name of the shop in the e-mail. I only glanced at it quickly as I was doing other things. Anyway here is the dance hall.Name:  Dance Hall2.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  44.7 KB. The resolution may not be as good due to the fact that I had to change the pixel size but it still isn't too bad a picture. The original copy is better. Not sure what kind of music they had but my great grand dad was from Cuba so maybe Cuban music. He also owned a dry cleaners at one time but lost it all due to varying factors one of which was the depression. I never met him but had the privilege of knowing my great grandma. Not sure why the double image so if one of the moderators would be so kind as to remove one if possible I thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 10-17-12, 04:32 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but have you checked into the Epson V500? Looks like one of the few that will take 120 negatives. Nearly all the others are limited to 35mm. Retail is about $179, but I have checked on auction sites for about $159 with free shipping. Would be curious at to your feelings on it.

Old 10-17-12, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but ASAIK you can scan any size negative on pretty much any scanner, then convert the image to "positive" with a photo editing program. Most have an image function to go pos-neg or neg-pos.

Old 10-17-12, 05:46 AM
Good idea. I have an excellent scanner, but Microsoft Office Photo doesn't allow editing as such. I am checking into Photoshop to see if it will do it.