BBB complaint

Old 10-16-12, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
BBB complaint

Must be a new scam going around Checked my e-mail a little while ago and got an official looking notice from the New York BBB that says one of my customers has filed a complaint and I have 4 days to respond. Shakin' in my boots Didn't even know I had any customers in NY........ Funny thing though, my business closed up shop when I retired.... over 10 yrs ago

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-12, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Must be a variation on the NY traffic ticket that TG got. Apparently (just a guess) they may be mining records of business licenses?

Old 10-16-12, 04:38 PM
I don't think it is that sophisticated. They just send it to everyone. For those that don't have a business, who cares? It's a scam anyway.

Old 10-16-12, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know, but I did forward the email to the real NY BBB. My business still gets mail every month although SWP hardly ever sends me anything anymore unless I happen to charge some paint. Before I retired I didn't even have time to learn how to use a PC, closest I ever got was covering them up with a drop cloth before I painted the room. I had already forgotten about TG's traffic ticket. Bet if I had hit the reply button I would have got an email stating they'd fix it for a fee

Old 10-16-12, 04:56 PM
The BBB knows about that scam. Enter some of the text from the email into your favorite search engine and you'll probably find the warning from the BBB. I did that several months ago.

Old 10-16-12, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Back before the Internet I had a phone solicitor for the REAL BBB leave a scam call like that on my answering machine. When I called back they said that while there was no customer complaint it was an example of what could happen and then tried to sell me a membership. I can't write here what I was thinking by the time I hung up but it left me with a very bitter opinion of the BBB.

Really would you pay a fox to guard your hen house. I wonder how many people know that the BBB makes their money from the merchants they are supposedly overseeing. Have to wonder about the conflict of interest there.

Old 10-16-12, 06:31 PM
I've heard many complaints like that about the BBB. All I know is that companies usually respond to BBB complaints and resolve things much faster than a company's dispute resolution process usually takes. My biggest complaint about them is that you can't space paragraphs in your complaint unless you mail it in.

Old 10-17-12, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
I was getting the BBB emails on a regular basis a while back, but haven't lately.

Old 10-17-12, 03:59 PM
I have had pretty good luck with my complaints to the BBB.

Old 10-18-12, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Got another NYC speeding ticket yesterday in my email; guess I sent the fine to the wrong address.

Search this Thread