Parking Wars fans

Old 10-23-12, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Parking Wars fans

I'm guessing I'm not the only Parking Wars TV show fan. Was watching a dvr'd episode while eating lunch today. They've added segments on private property parking lot enforcement and I was struck by the featured towing company. They seem professional and well run, but what caught my attention is that the owner has 5 boys who all work/help out to some extent around the business. What REALLY caught my attention was that he had his oldest kid actually driving one of their trucks when they went out on parking lot sweeps. The kid is 17; 1-7, 17 years old. I cannot imaging WHERE he would be able to buy insurance that would cover a 17 year old boy driving a tow truck, and I REALLY can't imagine what the premiums would be. I guess towing is BIG, BIG money in New Jersey.

Might have to call my current carrier and see what they say.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
I'm sure things have changed a lot (licensing, training, certification) but I was driving a tow truck part time at 20 (I think....maybe just turned 21) out in Long Beach. About an hour of familiarization on the trucks, then one ride along shift, then I had the keys and the pager. AFAIK they didn't even run my DMV. If so it was pretty darn quick...I went in one day and was driving 2 days later. Not a dedicated tow company, but part of a large body shop. We DID have a AAA contract though.

I wonder if ins companies base it more on training and certifications? Not just age like a regular policy?

Oh...and yes...I do like the show. All I normally see are re-runs on weekends I guess. Haven't seen anything like what you describe.

Old 10-23-12, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Think it runs new episodes Sat night. I usually catch them when I see them already on my DVR list.

I always get through watching wondering if EVERYONE in Philly/Detroit/New York/Miami/wherever thinks that "NO PARKING" really means "PARKING OKAY FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES".

Old 10-23-12, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
John, don't you need a CDL to operate a tow truck for profit?

Old 10-23-12, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always get through watching wondering if EVERYONE in Philly/Detroit/New York/Miami/wherever thinks that "NO PARKING" really means "PARKING OKAY FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES"
I've only been to New York City once and that was back in the early 70's. That is the only place I've ever been where I saw cars double parked in a no parking zone. I was also amazed at the big bumpers that was mounted on the front of the taxi cabs. I realized why when I was walking down the street, heard screaming tires and looked in time to see one cab rear end another and send it thru the red light..... and no one got out of either cab or called the law

I know labor laws are different when you employ your own children but not sure how the licensing and insurance would work.

Old 10-23-12, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Only if your GVW is over 26,000#, Larry, at least here in the Sunshine State. There are some other factors that can kick it in, too, I think, like air-braked vehicle, crossing state lines, stuff like that. I run my little 9,000# wheel lift truck on my regular license.

Old 10-23-12, 03:46 PM
Interesting. At 17, he would still be on his provisional drivers license. I'm curious about the insurance too. They either allow coverage for family or he is working without coverage.

I'm also a big fan of Parking Wars. I still really like the Philly crew, but the new stuff isn't so bad. I was excited when they started filming in HD.

Old 10-23-12, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When we took over the United Airlines catering operations back in the early 90's, they sent me to San Francisco. I was supposed to help train new employees, but they found out I had an air brake certification, and wham, there I was shuttling trucks from the airport to the paint facility for their new logo's. I don't have any of that, now....no need for it in my line of work.

Old 10-24-12, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Andrew, I hadn't thought about any side provisions on licensing; can you give us a basic idea of NJ law? Here in FL, learner's permit @ 15, license @ 16 (with 1 year on permit), 16 year old is allowed to drive between 6:00 am and 11:00 pm unless they are driving to or from a place of employment. A license holder who is 17 years of age is allowed to drive between the hours of 5:00 am and 1:00 am.

Old 10-24-12, 06:24 AM
If insurance is setup in a similar fashion to what it is here, either letting him drive at 17yrs old was a mistake (not covered under insurance) or they are paying fairly high insurance rates.
Insurance on a private vehicle here under 25 is painful (over 25 is as well, but not as much). Most commercial vehicles have an over 25 insurance policy.

Things might be different their, but insurance rape will be probably pretty similar.

Old 10-24-12, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Right. I've always been under the impression that 25 was the minimum, at least for wreckers. I can tell you there aren't any towing companies around here that would have a 17 year old on the payroll as a driver.

Old 10-25-12, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure what the details of the NJ DL are right now as I already have mine and didn't have to put up with that nonsense. From what I understand, you get your permit at 16, license at 17 and you have restrictions. On a provisional license you can't drive with anyone else in the car unless they have had their license for 3 or more years and you can't drive at night. This may not be 100% accurate, but close to it. They wanted to require people with a provisional DL to drive around with a red L on their car like they do in Britain. That way they could actually enforce the law. But a bunch of dumb dumbs said it would make young girls an easy target for rape and they didn't pass the law.

Old 11-06-12, 01:03 PM
the_tow_guy,

the episode with NJ, I think I may have seen that one, was it Hawk's towing in Trenton NJ?? possible the 17 year old was his son family helping him with a tow job or maybe getting in some practice hours to earn a certification??

another show that was held in NJ, (Tru TV) Bear Swamp Recovery, I guess he didn't have much ratings??? he's never on anymore, I once seen him in a diner before he started taping a recovery near the beach.

-Jess the doordoctor

Old 11-06-12, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, it was the kid, Li'l Hawk; he was in his own truck. He and Dad were policing parking lots with two trucks. Looked and sounded like he was licensed/certified/working independently. I cringed, regardless of his background/experience/training. If someone around here suggested putting a 17 year old (or even 18-19-20) on the road behind the wheel of a tow truck they'd get laughed out of town either preceded or followed by getting their insurance canceled.

My best tow buddy had to pick up a vehicle at a towing company in Miami Beach last month. Wasn't the South Beach Towing place, but they had one of the former South Beach employees working there.

Old 11-06-12, 01:49 PM
the_tow_guy

ahh, each time I see the trucks, I find them interesting because of the dark coloring and the sayings on the back of them and in some places even have bible verses (the numbers for them)

as with all those programs, some just put in too much drama then what actually happens in real life but I guess a young woman who just got the car and parked there while visiting a friend living in the apartment complex would be mighty upset if they came out to see their car being towed away without warning.

speaking of repo's on YouTube there's a user named "reponut" from the western states, I like him due to he isn't faking any of his tows, no drama, all one man's point of view (glasses camera) and probably less panic for the victim of his tow truck as there no big group of TV cameras surrounding the repo man or the person losing their car.

-Jess