Big Brother is watching - but it's not the government

Old 10-25-12, 09:12 AM
Big Brother is watching - but it's not the government

One of the forum members posted a link to a drywall dimpling tool in a thread a couple of days ago. I clicked on the link out of curiosity.

Today while doing a cemetery search on Find A Grave I found the same link with the exact same photo of the tool.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-12, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How is a drywall tool related to a grave

Old 10-25-12, 09:32 AM
Interesting.

Old 10-25-12, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
I use adblock, a browser extension. At least that way I don't see the ads.

Old 10-25-12, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google knows your marketing choices and gears searches to your likes and dislikes. Believe me they are the largest "big brother" we have. For instance, do a google search for Leviton switches. The next time you google just "switches", guess which ones are at the top....yep.

Old 10-25-12, 03:40 PM
I don't think it's just Google looking at individual IP addresses and tracking their visits. This tool is a DeWalt accessory. The Link posted went right to the tool on the Dewalt site. I don't know if Google was involved but I didn't use it. I've had FAG bookmarked for years and never saw this happen before.

I was using IE 8 and my first guess was that it's a Microsoft thing.

Old 10-26-12, 06:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Yep!

Was confusing to me too. For a while. Let's see if I got it figured out correctly here.

Took me awhile to first figure out the connection between clicking a link in a post to a dry wall tool site and a web page FAG (Find A Grave) you visited before. Likely many times before since it's a saved (Bookmarked) page on your computer.

Next of course I had to figure out what FAG was an abbreviation to. Not a derogatory term used to describe a personally type...YIKES!!! Nope. Stands for >Find A Grave<.

Once that was determined the next step was determining the connection between a dry wall tool and a grave site. (???) Targeted Advertisements!!!

Yep! Google has your number and geared (customized) the site you see to you specifically assuming you're in the dry wall business and may be about to expire....HA HA...Assume room temp???...

Google made the connection, tailored the site you see to you. Incorrectly of course surely we hope. An ad targeting method which Google is very good at doing. However, hopefully you're not about to expire. We need 'ya here on our site for many years ahead....

BIG Brother Is Watching........ And not the only single (One) BIG brother we all have.... Cameras everywhere and satellites way up in the skies above up watching us too!!!

Old 10-26-12, 07:14 AM
I think I figured it out. I didn't see the ad when I visited FAG using Firefox only IE-8. The explanation was simple - a cookie. I cleared cookies and the ad disappeared.

I'm not about to expire - at least I hope not. Find A Grave is a free web site devoted to documenting cemetery memorials, especially old ones, that are disappearing due to age, exposure and neglect. Members catalog cemeteries and photograph the headstones, mostly as a hobby but lots of genealogists and family members use the database of more than 80 million records.

Old 10-26-12, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Found this out myself. They use you searches to target ads to your IP address.

Was reading an article about successful people and one was a lady who invented something called "spanx". Not being female, I had no idea what spanx were. Googled it, answered my question and moved on. Next thing I see is spanx ads on every site I visited. Obviously not coincidence, otherwise I would have known what they were in the first place. I think that lady is a self made billionaire BTW.

Clearing your Temp Internet files, cookies and Cache will eliminate to link between your IP and the google targeted ads.

I hope typing the word spanx in this forum doesn't get me back in the ad loop, don't think I'll look very good in a girdle.

Old 10-26-12, 07:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Yep. Wayne you got it figured out....

cz is correct also....

And so do I got it figured out and clarified and a few others reading this thread.

You're not a FAG. Not in the the drywall industry either...:NO NO NO:

You cleared out the windows operating system (OS) on your computer contraption of cookies and cache. Presto. No connection to any of the above now made.

Windows was attempting to, as they call it, enhance your surfing experience. By saving cookies and cache files, etc. To their own detriment, they bloat the entire operating system down so much over time the surfing and computer O/S drags down to a crawl. Or crashes.

Your ISP and Google in collusion makes a false assumption and oops. No connection between you, the site FAG you visit and gratefully and thankfully you're not about to expire...LOL!!!.........

We, the more experienced users, realize the above. Clear out the windows O/S junk and once again the O/S is operating better and much faster. All cleared up now. Well understood too.

BEER TIME.

Search this Thread