Hurricane Sandy

Old 10-29-12, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Just on News 12 - they had an interview with someone in emergency management who said that 80% of NJ will have no power tonight.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 11:26 AM
Well I know Hoboken is out now. I am trying to make ice before we lose ours.

It's really creepy when they drive around town on a loudspeaker making announcements.

Old 10-29-12, 01:26 PM
So far in Maryland winds are about 30-45 miles per hour and gusting a bit. Raining quite a bit but in the Washington D.C. metro area where I live so far everything is fine and no talks about electricity being shut off on purpose to save lives. I did hear Ocean City has been hit fairly bad and further up north in New Jersey Atlantic City has been hit fairly bad . Looks mainly like a coastal storm only but of course these things can change. I am still glad we got gas for the generator though as you never know how things will turn out. I don't mind a storm like this as much when the weather is warmer but even then they are a problem.

Old 10-29-12, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Finally lost power

I am running off gen.

Old 10-29-12, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty lucky up north here. Still have power.

Old 10-29-12, 04:35 PM
Good luck guys! I hope everything fares well for all of you out East.

Old 10-29-12, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Nope its pretty bad here.

Power out. Gen is doing its job. Still have internet and TV.

May be sporatic when I am on. Busy making sure all is good. Winds are crazy. No trees down yet in local streets.

Will post back as I can.

Old 10-29-12, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty bad here now. Mega winds and lost power at 9:00pm. The Honda is cranking.

Old 10-29-12, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the update guys, and glad to see you cant still be in touch!

Old 10-29-12, 07:53 PM
Right now in Maryland the average wind has been 18 miles per hour gusting to 50 miles per hour according to the weather bug website. It has been according to my observations anywhere from 9 miles per hour to 29 miles per hour. Lost power earlier just for a couple of minutes luckily for us and so far from reports no trees down in College Park but reports of some trees down in Washington D.C. and parts of Virginia. Also some parts of Laurel Maryland have trees down. The highest wind reported according to our local news was 69 miles per hour in Annapolis.

Old 10-29-12, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
1.95 million customers in NJ without power now. Over 2 million were without power during hurricane Irene

My entire town and surrounding area is out which means I'll be losing cable service in a day or so.

Old 10-29-12, 11:21 PM
I also heard that there was an explosion of a substation up in the Wall street area of New York city and massive flooding in the area. So I advise everyone up there who still has generator power to stay in your homes at least for the next few days as it will be very dangerous on the roads. If you have to get out I suggest you walk to wherever you are going but to not go out unless you absolutely have too. I am certain unfortunately that power restoration may take weeks in the worst hit areas. For the time being too mass transit via Amtrak and planes has been halted especially in the hardest hit areas.
Thought I would add a link to our local news about New Jersey and New York while I could here is the link for those of you who are having trouble getting stations in Superstorm Sandy slams into New Jersey coast | WJLA.com . Be safe everyone and please post back when you can to let us know how you are doing. There is also a short video about the damage.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 10-29-12 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-30-12, 05:03 AM
Hope everyone survived the night ok.
We're feeling a bit of the affects of this storm. Rain/snow and now ice pellets are hitting us good now with reasonably high winds. Didn't loose any power which is suprising.

Old 10-30-12, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
My neighborhood faired pretty well and no lost power. The Jersey shore wasn't so lucky. Atlantic City lost almost it's entire boardwalk. Hard to look at and very sad.
Thank goodness Sandy's leaving. Good riddance!

Old 10-30-12, 10:57 AM
Everything is ok here in Keyport. WE have no power. I lost a small shutter off the house, but that's the extent of damage for me. Right now plugged into the neighbor's genny. Got the fridge plugged in. Trying not to lose our frozen breast milk supply. Haven't needed the back up sump yet.

I went and checked out the harbor and there is some decent damage down there. I will try to get a link to some pics. They shut our power off at 8:30. We could see lots of blue flashes in the night. I don't have any good numbers on wind. I can do that once I am able to upload the data to my main pc. But definitelky steady winds in the 20's top 30's with gusts above 40. It was shaking the house. Didn't lose any screens off the windows though.

Cell net works must be jammed because it is impossible to get on and make any calls. I was able to get my landline up again with the genny and get in touch with relatives.

JCP&L is saying the power will be out until Monday, but I think they are just covering their butts.

Glad to hear others are ok. Will be in touch.

Hurricane Sandy 2012 - Keyport, NJ - a set on Flickr

Old 10-30-12, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Daughter and SIL are on Roosevelt Island, in the middle of the East River. They have power and no flooding but are somewhat isolated since neither the tram or subway are operating. They sent pics of the Roosevelt Expressway on the Manhatten side of the river. It was under water.

Old 10-31-12, 11:07 AM
We finally tired of no showers and reading by candle light (somebody forgot to get propane bottles for the coleman lanterns-me). I just checked in to a motel for a hot shower and an internet fix.

We lost power at 5 pm on Monday and there is no hint when we will get it back. We had gusts to 90 mph but only a couple of inches of rain. We lost a 40' willow in the front yard. Fortunately it fell away from the house. Mostly an inconvenience for us but there was serious damage and losses all along the shoreline. While the winds weren't monstrous the storm surge and tides were higher than anyone around can remember.

Old 10-31-12, 05:08 PM
Yeah man. Glad to hear you guys are ok.

Me and the wife took hot baths this morning. It took a lot of boiling water we made on the stove to get about half a tub of enjoyable water. We cooked so much water that my windows started to fog.

Old 11-01-12, 12:10 PM
Anyone heard from Mike in NJ? His last post was a couple of days ago. I think his area of NJ took the brunt of the storm. I know he had a generator but he's probably w/o internet.

I'm still without power. Our new and improved responsive POCO said early on htey were really well prepared and they had spent millions on tree trimming and had extra crews prepositioned. Last time (Irene) I was without power for a week. They just announced that they had completed their damage assessment and now were concentrating on restoration. Expected repairs to be finished by ext Monday or Tuesday. A week, just like the old incompetant POCO.

Just like the old adage that "All politics are local", IMO all power outages are personal. I guess we'll cough up the money for a generator. I've spennt almost as much for hotel rooms. Nearly 30 years without losing power for more than a couple of hours and three huge power outages (16 days total) in the last 13 months.

On the bright side my "tropical" fish don't seem to mind the 55* tank water.

Old 11-01-12, 12:29 PM
I think lawrosa is a bit more inland then NJ Trooper (just from what they said in past threads).
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ml#post2021594

It sounds from the post linked above, they hunkered down and rode it out.