Hurricane Sandy

Old 10-26-12, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hurricane Sandy

This storm is not going to be pretty. All you guys, and Becky, that live up northeast, keep an eye out for news on this monster. When all the fronts collide you will be in deep doo. I know it can change, but right now, they are predicting it will go ashore about NYC.

Be safe above all else!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-12, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
The generators are rolling

Old 10-26-12, 07:15 PM
I agree Larry it looks kind of bad. I probably will be getting gas for the generator tomorrow if possible and getting a few other things too. Looks like Monday is when it will be in this area and PEPCO says they will have enough people to restore power. Hopefully they will I don't like being without power for too long. Generators are fine but not for the long term.

Old 10-26-12, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
I had one of my Honda 6.5K's running here for a week in that last storm we had.

Old 10-27-12, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Back down to a tropical storm this morning, small consolation and it'll probably regain some strength today.

Old 10-27-12, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about it. I live higher up so I'm not concerned with flooding, but it's the winds that worry me. Can't wait till it's over and done with.

Old 10-27-12, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Oh but its so calm today!!! I cant imagine a storm is coming......Ugggg.

Of course they are predicting a direct hit to us NJ folks.....

List of supplies....

1. Gas
2. Bread, milk eggs. ( To make french toast)
3. Beer
4. Water
5. Beer
6. Beer

I think I have it covered...

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-12, 01:33 AM
I have one suggestion as far as food is concerned. Go to a store that sells nothing but organic food, it is what we did in our neighborhood. Sure the prices will maybe be a bit higher on some things but you can at least get food there where you might not find some food at other stores at least not until they re-stock as I heard many stores are running out of things. Well even our organic store was running out of eggs but had many other things still in stock. Good luck to everyone! Be safe and please post back after the storm how you are!

Old 10-28-12, 03:26 AM
Group Moderator
lawrosa........ you missed beer on your list

Old 10-28-12, 04:47 AM
Now, the news article I read emphasized the following for your "survival" package;

1) Water (naturally)
2) Shelf stable meals, like dried beans
3) Nuts (high in protein)
4) Dried fruit
5) UHT milk (in those little boxes with a straw)
6) Cereals to go along with your milk.
7) Use paper and plastic plates, utensils, cups, and save your water
8) Nutritious granola bars (not the sugar coated ones that taste good)
9) Jerky

NOW, nowhere in this article did it mention BEER Maybe they are uninformed, and need to issue a correction or addendum to their recommendations, I don't know.
Mike, you're in charge of that.

Be safe!

Old 10-28-12, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Battoning down the hatches today. Rained all night and the winds will pick up an blow for the next36 hours or so. Another restless day and sleepless night ahead for us. A final check on the generator and sit back and watch Mother Nature in all her glory.

For those unfamiliar, and without generators, stock up on ice today as it will run out at the store. Don't try to save every perishable item in the refrigerator, mainly preserve the expensive meat that you may have stashed in there. If power doesn't look like it will be out for an extended time, leave your freezer door closed. The residual frozen temp in there will hold for a day. If you have property damage, insurance many times covers the cost of lost food.

If you have an over abundance of meat you are protecting after the storm and are facing several days of power outage, do what we do. Make some new friends, call in the neighbors, fire up the grill and have an impromptu BBQ/Hurricane party so nothing goes to waste. Very important, however, is to make sure you invite Lawrosa.....He's the one that has all the beer

You also want to make sure you befreind someone that has a gas water heater...those cold showers get old real fast.

Old 10-28-12, 05:50 AM
We went a week without power last year after Irene. It got old after a couple of days. We don't worry about the wind or flooding (we're too high) so power is our main concern.

We don't do anything special other than "battening down". We always have at least a weeks worth of food in the pantry and enough wine to last for months.

Even without power following Irene, some supermarkets were open on generators the day after the storm. The biggest problem for us was boredom - no internet/tv, reading by candle light and lack of showers. On day 4 we drove to an area with power and stayed in a hotel overnight.

I went grocery shopping yesterday and although the market was busier than usual the shelves were fully stocked.

Old 10-28-12, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
We are being evacuated in some areas......Over reaction? This is going to be part nor'easter too...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/417985

Old 10-28-12, 07:02 AM
Stay safe guys! Will be watching the TV for updates.

Old 10-28-12, 07:11 AM
In my area, things are expected to have died down significantly by the time any of the residue of this thing comes near us.

I always have to wonder though whether or not this stuff is being way over reported as it does create a frenzy and increase readership and ratings by a mile. I guess the other way to look at it is that if it does hit really hard, they were bang on. If it turns out to be a dud, well, people were prepared.

"Storm of the century, historic storm, etc." Hope their wrong for everyone's sake.

As Jay said, stay safe folks. Hope nobody gets hurt.

Old 10-28-12, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Still pretty breezy even way down here. Had a heck of a time on the golf course today.

BTW, beer is a given when stocking up for a storm; it's not optional like the non-essentials, i.e. water, batteries, etc.

Old 10-28-12, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
OK getting scary from what the news is saying. This storm is supposed to linger over NJ for 36 hours.....

Big fights at the gas stations today. Peoples true colors come out...uggg! Pisses me off. Lines, lines and more lines....

I am about as ready as I can be. Don't know what else to do.

Gen is going to stay in the shed. Windows open to exhaust the fumes. Not sure if its a good idea. Have fan that I will pug in to exhaust and put in shed windows.

All plugged in and fueled. All I have to go is go out and start it.

Name:  P10-28-12_13.37.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  45.3 KB

Inlet over a overhang. May wrap in plastic bag.

Name:  P10-28-12_13.36.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  35.9 KB

Killowatt meter. To monitor the gen. Make sure Hz stays correct.

Name:  P10-28-12_13.54.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  21.4 KB

Good first aid kit. Eye, head wraps various compress sizes, etc.

Name:  P10-28-12_14.00.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  20.9 KB

Some extension cords, my rain gear and battery flashlight.

Name:  P10-28-12_14.04.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  33.6 KB

Flashlights for the kids.

Name:  P10-28-12_14.05.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  18.8 KB

My personal survival kit. I have two additional 30 packs on ice.....

Name:  P10-28-12_14.04[2].jpg
Views: 393
Size:  20.5 KB

All and all I feel I am ready. I am kind of scared and worried about keeping the family safe. I guess thats a normal feeling.

Local shelter is not out of the question if it gets too crazy.

Old 10-28-12, 11:58 AM
Wildbill, I don't think it is the hurricane per se that they are so worried about. They have had hurricanes before. It is the combination of the hurricane and the pending cold front that will hit head on in that area that will be so devastating. Predictions of heavy snowfall are predicted, along with heavy rains and winds. They are predicting snow as far south as we are for Tuesday. Bring it on.

Old 10-28-12, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Troop they did not evacuate you???? Red bank? What about Keyport? I know my wifes GF in long branch has to go...

Old 10-28-12, 04:43 PM
Storm surge and flooding from the rain are the big deal on this storm. So anyone in low lying areas on the coast need to go.

Keyport will be fine. There are areas that will flood out from the storm surge, but that is not unusual. My house is 30 ft above sea level and 3/4 of a mile from the bay. I am more worried about ground water filling my basement. I do have that water powered backup sump so we may find out how well that works. I have drains outside my basement door that bring rain water into the sump pit. During Irene, leaves collected around the grates and the water came in under the door. So I will keep an eye out for that this time around.

Right now my pit is dry. I haven't seen that for a couple years at least. I do expect a delay of groundwater coming up during the storm. Probably after it leaves.

Old 10-28-12, 05:02 PM
One of my neighbors got his carpeted basement flooded last year after he let the leaves block the drain in the pit outside the walk-out door. Big mess for a coupla days.

We're crossing our fingers on power. Many times, with all service buried, we'll make it when other towns nearby don't. That's not to say we always make it through, though, and with a storm this size all bets are off.

lawrosa, if my eyes don't decieve me, that' either Busch or Busch Light in your fridge. Awright! A man who's got my back when I venture into the Big Apple AND who drinks my brand. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Seriously, everyone, be safe, stay safe. Hoping for positive check-ins as this passes.

Old 10-28-12, 05:09 PM
They are calling for 50-60 MPH wind gusts with sustained winds 20-30 MPH in my area.

Old 10-28-12, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Busch Light
You got it baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-12, 03:49 AM
Group Moderator
Do they use anti-price gouging controls up there? Been on the books down here for a while and even activates a hotline for complaints:

Price gouging laws go into effect during state of emergency

Old 10-29-12, 03:54 AM
I don't know if they have it for other stuff, but we do have laws for gasoline. The price can't change more than a certain amount per day or something. That's effective all the time.

Here we go: New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs - Disaster Formation

Seems like we have the same thing or similar to you.

Old 10-29-12, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like it only covers gas, but of course that's one area that would be most ripe for gouging.

Down here when a hurricane is bearing down, some of the stores that sell generators post signs that the generators cannot be returned. Keeps people from buying one, running it a few days, and then cleaning it up and returning it for a refund.

Old 10-29-12, 05:13 AM
The Governor held a presser last night. The comments he made about the storm were disturbing. He said that this storm has the potential to be the most dangerous weather event to ever hit the state. That is saying something when you consider the damage done by the hurricane of '38.

He also said the state will quite likely suffer the most damage of any state. Looking at the projected storm track and the relatively low wind speeds would make one think that areas like NJ/NY would take the brunt but apparently it has to do with wind direction.

Sandy's winds will combine with the a nor'easter to push water into Long Island sound during a period of high tides. Predicted storm surge is as high as 14' and high winds will prevent the surge from flowing back out of the sound. Storm surge is predicted to cause damage for cities on major rivers as far inland as 20 miles.

Old 10-29-12, 05:51 AM
They were talking about CT on TV this morning. They said that even though everyone in NY and NJ kind of rolled their eyes at Irene because it didn't do much damage there, that CT received a lot of damage along their coastline from it. The storm surge is supposed to be far worse with Sandy and it is going to affect 4 high tides where as Irene affected perhaps two high tides.

Old 10-29-12, 05:52 AM
Looks like it only covers gas, but of course that's one area that would be most ripe for gouging.

Down here when a hurricane is bearing down, some of the stores that sell generators post signs that the generators cannot be returned. Keeps people from buying one, running it a few days, and then cleaning it up and returning it for a refund.
We had that here after the whole Y2k deal. My dad scored his (now mine) generator from some guy that couldn't return it. Got it for half price still in the box.

Hopefully we'll see everyone back online in a short amount of time. Be safe folks.

Old 10-29-12, 07:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just read our local forecast. 8" of snow in the higher elevations...... surely not

My youngest son has his 4x4 in my shop getting some painting and other stuff done. He called to say he thinks it's best to pick it up and leave his sports car. He lives in a holler that doesn't see much sun, it's not unusual for the frost to still be on the ground at noon.

I'm skeptical of the forecast, I know it's a big bad storm but can't fathom that much snow this early, this far south.... but time will tell. Hope everything goes well for all our friends that are in the storms direct path.

Old 10-29-12, 07:54 AM
We're suppose to be getting tons of rain here. Been snowing/raining all morning here.

It did claim one of our east coast tall ships (HMS Bounty).
At least 2 missing as Hurricane Sandy sinks HMS Bounty - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Old 10-29-12, 08:02 AM
Waiting for the storm to hit. Sold my old generator with my home 1 year ago but was lucky to score a Honda EG 4000 yesterday. Certainly pricey but... watcha gonna do! Tramp cords for now. Hope all come out of this in good shape.

Name:  EG 4000 CL.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 10-29-12, 09:00 AM
I'm skeptical of the forecast, I know it's a big bad storm but can't fathom that much snow this early, this far south.... but time will tell. Hope everything goes well for all our friends that are in the storms direct path.
I don't know exactly where this forecast area is, but they are forecasting 1-2 feet of snow in the higher elevations of the Appalachians down towards your area. This is because the hurricane is pulling cold air from Canada down into the US. It is that cold air flowing into the region that is going to help maintain the strength of the storm as it hits land. Typically hurricanes lose a lot of their strength over land, but this one isn't supposed to.

That sucks about the ship. I can't believe the seas are that bad up there. Was it out to sea when it sunk or in harbor?

CORRECTION: I read the link and they were off the coast of NC.

Old 10-29-12, 09:02 AM
I don't know exactly where this forecast area is, but they are forecasting 1-2 feet of snow in the higher elevations of the Appalachians down towards your area.
Damn
As much as I like the snow, that is a lot for the first fall of the season.

Old 10-29-12, 10:03 AM
HMS Bounty was transiting the waters off Cape Hatteras, NC. That is probably the most treacherous water on East coast, especially during a hurricane. Hopefully the missing crewmembers will be recovered but the captain's decision to try to skirt the storm is questionable at best.

I've transited Hatteras many times and the seas were often unpredictable. I've also passed through there twice while running from hurricanes, once in a destroyer and once in a repair ship. When we made port in the destroyer we found that all the topside rigging was stripped including all lifeboats and rafts.
The 500' repair ship displaced 12,000 tons and we took green water on bridge.

Old 10-29-12, 10:32 AM
The power company is cutting our power at around 8 pm toi protect their substation from the storm. No telling for how long.

Old 10-29-12, 10:39 AM
The power company is cutting our power at around 8 pm toi protect their substation from the storm. No telling for how long.
That sucks.
At least you have a warning of when to expect it to go out.

Old 10-29-12, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Any JCP&L customers out there want to check outages here.

https://www.firstenergycorp.com/cont...ages_maps.html

Early yet and many outages. We are holding our own here. They do have 2,800 personnel on call and ready. 4 command centers in NJ with fleets of trucks waiting.

Old 10-29-12, 10:52 AM
On my way back from PA yesterday, we saw a handful of tree trimming trucks headed to our area from WV. They are definitely gearing up.

Old 10-29-12, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Nelson Tree Company is massing here near me. Ive never seen so many big tree bucket trucks in one place. Just saw on News 12 NJ that they're using the Great Adventure parking lots for a GPU staging area.

I'm just outside of Morristown.