Disasters-Bottled Water

Old 10-29-12, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Disasters-Bottled Water

Just watched yet another report of a frantic reporter going on about people needing to buy bottled water before the storm hits and stores selling out. Why for heaven sakes? All the people on city water or wells with drinkable water need to do is go to their home water tap and fill soft drink bottles, well cleaned milk bottels, or other food containers with water before the diaster. Yet you never here this suggestion. You would think there is something magic about bottled water the way these reporters go on and on about it.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-29-12 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 09:45 AM
Bottled water would be a good solution if stuck for months as it should keep better. The odds of needing packaged water that long is doubtful though.

A secondary solution is to have a portable water filtration system like what I use for backpacking. Can use water out of a ditch with these things.

Old 10-29-12, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never been big on bottled water but the way city water is going I'm starting to get that way. I always drink water with a meal but there is one town to the south of me that forces me to get tea or soda - too much chlorine!

I remember as kid when the water was expected to go out the reporters would remind you to fill your bath tub with water. Maybe nobody cleans their tubs good enough these days

Old 10-29-12, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
I believe its because the local water supplies get tainted by the flooding? Bacteria? Boil advisory's?

People on wells do not have that luxury with no power.

Old 10-29-12, 10:09 AM
I remember as kid when the water was expected to go out the reporters would remind you to fill your bath tub with water. Maybe nobody cleans their tubs good enough these days
Funny, I remember that too but haven't heard that in the media since.

Old 10-29-12, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Lawrosa, I meant fill the bottles before the storm hits. Sorry for not being clear.

Northern Mike, Water doesn't go bad and since most city water has been chlorinated it should, if anything, keep longer. Also regulation for bottled water producers are much more lax then those for municipal water supply.

Old 10-29-12, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
I use a Brita filtered water pitcher. The water tastes as good if not better than most bottled waters. I'm one block from one of two big water towers that supply the town, The sites are genny backed up.

Old 10-29-12, 12:21 PM
The other disaster suggestion that gave me a chuckle is "matches in a waterproof container". What am I supposed to do with those? Build a campfire after my house gets blown down around me? Besides, I can get a lighter for 50 cents.

Old 10-29-12, 12:45 PM
The other disaster suggestion that gave me a chuckle is "matches in a waterproof container". What am I supposed to do with those? Build a campfire after my house gets blown down around me? Besides, I can get a lighter for 50 cents.
Should be able to find plenty of kindling and tinder for a camp fire in time square...
Are the stores out of Marshmellows?

Old 10-29-12, 01:41 PM
Even on city water, you should have stored water. I haven't listened much to the news about water this time around, but I have heard the suggestion of filling up pots and the tub. We have a bunch of pots full sitting on the stove. Now I'm wondering where we are going to cook dinner.

The concern with city water is not that it won't flow, but that the water might not be treated. Depending on where you water is sourced will affect this. If treatment plants become flooded, they cannot operate. I know my town has its own treatment plant for when we use our town wells. I'm not sure if that is located on high ground or not. We are also buying our water because of a state law now, so I don't if we would be allowed to switch over if they couldn't provide us with clean water.

Old 10-29-12, 02:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
My Two Cents.

I once many years ago worked at the nations largest bottled water company. Back then much of the pre packaged water was in GLASS 5 gallon bottles regardless of size. Most common was 5 gallon size delivered to the home. (There was no plastic 5 gallon bottles back then as there is now.) There was one gallon hand size carry out containers but possibly no 8-12 ounce plastic bottles back then best as I can recall but may have been. Another department and or company division likely.

Bottled water in all OEM containers was reversed osmosis filtered plus charcoal filtered and possibly (maybe back then too) passed through an ultra-violet light and a few other methods best as I can recall. And then in the bottle before capping injected with ozone (referred to as ozone-ated) to kill bacteria. Then sealed with a plastic colored cap. The color indicated the type of water. Red cap regular, orange cap fluorinated and blue cap distilled.

Shelf Life just two years. A call to the office should verify shelf life.

Bottle water in PLASTIC same process and shelf life the same. 2 years. Call to verify what the manufacturer claims.

Local machines that dispense water where you fill your own container uses a similar type of purification method. Reverse osmosis, charcoal filtration and ultra violet light to purify water. However, the contain you use must be clean and not used prior for any other beverages, etc to insure quality, etc. Shelf life unknown nor specifically disclosed by the vending machine company dispensing the water where to be called.

Point here is that regardless of how much store bought plastic bottle water one has or keeps stored for any purpose, it has a shelf life to consider. A factor that should be known.

Out my way in earthquake country, storing water is also advised, recommended and or suggested by disaster officials etc. However, none of the so called know it alls ever mention shelf life....!!!!

After plastic bottle water expiration date, boiling to insure safe quality should be done. Or if you have a back packing water treatment system or chemical, use it. Same applies to faucet water saved in any container.

Boiling should not be any problem. Nor building a fire. Should be plenty of wood and debris everywhere..... Hopefully dry wood and or debris too........

Two Cents Spent.

BTW:
Store BEER. Longer shelf life...LOL!

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-30-12 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 04:43 PM
I was watching the weather channel and they were telling the people in the states that were directly hit by sanda to not drink the city water. Do not brush your teeth with it and it cannot repeat CANNOT be made safe by boiling. Also some people don't know is you also got water in your water heater tank if you need.

Old 10-31-12, 05:11 PM
The weather channel is a bunch of idiots. Our water is fine. No announcements have been made regarding quality.

The water in your hot water tank is a bad idea. That's where all your pollutants collect.

Old 10-31-12, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
I think it was Atlantic City and maybe a couple of other places where they don't want people to drink the water. Not everyone. Our water is fine, too.

Old 11-01-12, 05:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Boiling will kill all bacteria if allowed to boil long enough. That's how it was done for hundreds of years prior to us by our fore fathers and great great grand parents. Done that way for centuries before us and can still be done today.

What you do not want to due is boil any water that contains sewage contamination, or may contain such or any water with something or anything floating in it!!!.....:NO NO NO:........

Storm flooding can or will cause sewage treatment plant overflow etc. and/or cross contaminations between treated faucet drinking water and sewage waste water. However, even that happens in an earthquake area or could happen as a result of broken pipes where faucet water is still supplied.

Therefore, boiling by any method possible, before usage is highly recommended. No electrical power? Fill a pot and place on an outdoor BBQ. Boil in same manner as stove top. Amazing how handy even a table top BBQ can be.

Improvising under adverse conditions is a must. After a major storm or earthquake where sever structure damage results, building a camp fire is never a problem. Lots of wood everywhere...LOL!

As an added benefit, a BEER in hand during a BBQ or camp fire after any disaster event while boiling water or cooking chow goes together well. BEER needs no boiling. Pop cap and drink up......A job worth volunteering for every time....HA HA HA.

Old 11-02-12, 05:39 PM
If you have a gas stove and your gas still works you can use the burners to boil water by using a match lighter or those long BBQ lighters to lite the burners. You can still cook food that would spoil otherwise like meat etc.