Surprising number of posts

Old 11-02-12, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Surprising number of posts

Working from home today building a mantle for a client, so I've had more than my fair share of "Watching Glue Dry" time today. But was surprised to notice that of the 148 posts listed under the "Today's Posts" category, 28% were Electrical related and 20% were HVAC related. Thats almost 50% of all posts dedicated to Systems that require special tools to diagnose, or things that can zap you into non-existence.

As a Contractor, I'm pretty bold in what I will undertake, but if it involves removing the front cover of the panel box or diagnosing something that runs on Natural Gas or 220v, I call in my Electrician or HVAC guy. One, I don't have the licensing that specifically allows me to work on these (which is a liability should something go wrong) and Two, these are highly specialized fields. You need to apprentice for upwards of 5 years before you can obtain you license.

Just surprised at the number of people willing to roll up their sleeves and dig into these categories.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-12, 12:45 PM
Apprentice for 5 years? Must be a VA thing.

The HVAC stuff is basically electrical. Anything involved with the freon cannot be done by a homeowner. Electrical is fairly straight forward for most home related items.

Old 11-02-12, 01:12 PM
The electrical and HVAC forums are probably the most popular as far as number of posts with the automotive running a close third.

Droo, while I can't remember just what trade I know there ARE some that have a six year apprenticeship.

Czizzi, The general consensus here is that people are going to do what they are going to do. If we can help them do it in relative safety we try. When something is obviously over the abilities of the person we try our best to dissuade them until they are able to better educate themselves.

Old 11-02-12, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Both are simply matters of common sense logic and understanding basic principles. I could wire a lamp by the time I was seven or eight. By twelve I understood household electrical well enough to do most jobs. What amazes me is people who have made it to adulthood and don't even understand the basics of electricity.

Old 11-02-12, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In Virginia, you need a Master License plus 5 years service in the qualified field to get a State License for Plumbing, Electricial and HVAC. Not sure how many Hours you need to qualify for your Master License but I believe the time can run simultaniously.

Ray- you can expand that basis knowledge know how to just about any category....

Old 11-02-12, 04:58 PM
"What amazes me is people who have made it to adulthood and don't even understand the basics of electricity."

Me too.

Old 11-02-12, 05:38 PM
Me, three.

Like Ray, I was known as an electrical genius by the time I was twelve years old. Like our friend Justin, I was reading code books like they were novels when I was in my mid teens. One day I was at the house of my wife-to-be parent's and we went into the basement to search through some boxes for something. Linda turned on the lights at the bottom of the stairway and after we found whatever we returned to the kitchen. Then she started downstairs to turn the lights of and I asked her why not use the switch at the top of the stairs? She said that whatever switch turned on the lights need to be used to turn off the lights. I asked how long had it been that way and she replied, forever.

I asked her for a screwdriver and proceeded to remove the switch at the top of the stairs. I swapped two of the three wires and asked her to go down and turn the lights off and then we proceeded to turn them on and off at random using either switch. Her mother came home and Linda showed her how everything now worked properly and I asked her why Millard (husband/father) hadn't fixed this years ago. They both gave me a look like I was the village idiot for asking such a question. Linda finally explained it to me stating there were no wires or electricity or anything else hidden the walls, it was pure magic. You pushed this little thingy and the lights went on or off. I subsequently have met hundreds of people that have the same concept of electricity.

Yes, electricity CAN be dangerous but I am living proof that it doesn't have to be. I've personally worked on circuit from 30 millivolts DC to over 500 volts DC and AC circuits up to 500 volts while also working in close proximity to energized 26,000 volt transmission/distribution lines and I'm not even a little bit dead from the experiences.

Old 11-03-12, 06:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

"What amazes me is people who have made it to adulthood and don't even understand the basics of electricity." I agree.

How about driving a vehicle? Amazing the lack of basic knowledge drivers have about the maintenance and operation of the vehicle they drive. Driving. Simple. This lever gets put here into "D" to drive forward. "R" to back up and "P" to park. Forget the 1 the 2 and 3 selections.

This pedal makes the car go "forward." This pedal makes it "Stop." Nothing mentioned about "Coasting" before coming to a stop ahead!

Amazing how far a vehicle can coast toward a location ahead where it has to be brought to a full stop or before a light ahead changes. Coasting Saves lots of gasoline too! Much easier on the brakes as well coming to a full stop at less then roadway or posted forward speed.

Try coasting to a light or stop sign ahead. Works every time and very well once familiarized with the concept, pre planing ahead when to begin coasting. Put into practice until it becomes normal operation. Amazing!

Old 11-03-12, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
It looks to me that the greatest number of posts come in topics where professional repair costs are highest.
In today's economy many folks are just getting by and when faced with trade rates are pretty much forced to be hands on with repairs when they really don't want to be.

This sometimes makes helping very difficult when people expect to be told how to fix something without putting in an effort to learn the concepts needed to fix their problem.

For the length of time I've been here I am still amazed at the patience and good instruction may of the folks helping here offer!

Old 11-03-12, 08:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hi: Greg....

Points well taken. You and I both remember way back on the site in the early days the electrical pros discussed the safety aspects of providing members with personal safety warnings in their replies and/or signatures when dealing with main and/or sub panels.

Basic concept was it was okay to due so and even recommended but really not needed. The site has a disclosure policy and is covered from liabilities as a result of any advice provided. However, as a personal concern if one felt the need to, warn members to use extreme cautions when dealing with electricity. Especially 220-240 and/or above volts.

Never know for sure the skill or knowledge level of the member posting a question requesting advice as it pertains to mains and sub panels. Unlike water, gas or plumbing, electricity offers no warnings of it's presents nor when an error is made while working on it or when one comes into contact with a Live circuit or wire.

No floods seen, leaks noticed or seen nor smells, smoke, visual signs or pre-warnings of potential danger existing. Neither of any just mentioned is life threatening either. No so with electrical power. Touch a live wire or the like in a live (HOT) main or sub panel and you might be the ground. Fried crispy. Well Done! You then become the smell, smoke, odor immediately.

Gas is also a potential danger. However, leaks can be tested for, found, smelled, heard if large enough, fixed and/or noticed hopefully before a fire erupts or explosion happens. None of which with electricity. Breaker pops of immediately when turned on, smoke smelled, fire seen etc. But no warning of it's presence can be assured by a do it yourself job project.

Best when it comes to main and or sub panels IMO left to the pros. Your life may depend upon it.

Good Idea to consider including a warn note in replies but not required.

Old 11-06-12, 08:10 AM
I don't know if you guys noticed, but the majority of the posts since the storm regarding HVAC or electrical has been from people affected by the storm.

HVAC would also be going up as more people are starting up the heating systems. During the summer, it's been all AC related posts.

Old 11-06-12, 09:27 AM
It's nice to see the extra traffic. I was beginning to think the only people who posted were the moderators.