OK Storms over where's my money?

Old 11-03-12, 02:33 PM
OK Storms over where's my money?

Last year following TS Irene the CT welfare department food stamp program (whatever they call it these days) passed out vouchers to low income people that
lost food in their freezers because of the power outage. Not a bad thing. The lines were blocks long, thousands of people got vouchers (much of which soon became street currency) and millions of taxpayer dollars were spent.

The problem was that nobody checked to see that the people in line were qualified or if they even owned a freezer. Get in line - get some money. It ended up that many were well paid state workers (including one woman interviewed on TV that had a 100K state salary) taking advantage of another gov't handout. When the news got out about state workers the governor fired them.

They appealed and their dismissal was overturned and they were reinstated. The reason their firing was overturned - because the state didn't tell them they couldn't have the money!

I doubt that I'll see anymoney though. I lost a couple of hundred dollars in my freezer but then I pay taxes.

Is there a sarcasm icon?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-12, 03:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Is there a sarcasm icon?
Yep. May Have One 4 u.

This one okay?

Maybe this one?

Or this one? GI2

In the Reply to Thread window the additional smilie icons are located to the right. More pops up another pane with all smilies. Not avalible in quick reply below a post....

Amazing how so many despise......any governement hand outs, yet most of them if not all of them, wing up wanting one, taking one and will stand in line for hours along we the rest of us to get one....HA HA

If you get $$$$, buy plenty. I'll be right over...LOL!...

Old 11-03-12, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Dont know wayne.... I find that hard to believe.

The food stamp program has been electronic for some time. Funds should of went directly to the low income peoples accounts.

If was indeed paper food stamps then you would need to show your food stamp ID card to get the voucher.....

Hey times are tough.... Cant really knock the people that collect food stamps.

Low income means different things to different people...

Old 11-03-12, 06:21 PM
$100,000 a year salary is not low income.

Man. It wouldn't even be worth my time to stand on line to scam food stamps. Some people are just losers.

Old 11-03-12, 08:01 PM
Mike - Not hard to believe it's a fact. The state issues food stamps in the form of a debit card, the program is called SNAP. The emergency assistance program was called D-SNAP.
Here is a link to one newspaper article regarding the scandal.

Again, I'm not criticizing the idea of emergency aid to people in need. I'm criticizing the incompetence of the government agency in charge and the greed of people that did not deserve it.

Two days ago I was at the library. There were two pallets of free bottled drinking water outside with a sign asking people to take just one case until more were available. A beat up pickup pulled up, a guy got out and loaded 8 cases into the back of his truck. He would have loaded more but he stopped when I asked him if he saw the sign. I got an "eff you" in return and he drove off. Same sort of people.

Old 11-04-12, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the incompetence of the government
Don't those two words always go together?

Old 11-04-12, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, it seems it was it was a scandal at a state level wayne. Your first post did not really say that.

But it was a federal program from how I read it. The state employees probably saw the loop hole and word most likely spread.

I wonder if they will have that here in NJ. So many loss food.

Hey if you can get something for free go for it.

Old 11-04-12, 06:32 AM
Mike I did say it was a CT welfare department program in my original post.
Again, my point was that there were no controls. Get in line, stick out your hand and the government put money in it.

I'm assuming you were joking. I really hate that "get something for free" mentality. Mostly because it isn't free. You and I pay for it with our taxes.

Old 11-04-12, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Personally, I do not mind in the least bit providing help and assistance of any type to anyone during times of severe need. Especially here in our country..........Severe needs like those caused by natural disasters, etc. Storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes, etc. I would rather help those in need here on our own soil first and foremost, then spending our tax money outside our country.

Incompetence of the government? I disagree. In times of severe needs, as a result of conditions like those noted above and others like it, time is of importance. Provide the assistance needed as soon as possible and resolve the details later.

In so far as some whom do not need such government assistance, where is the moral compass and/or community obligations of those whom take such hand outs, assistance???? Many of whom also despise such programs???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Those government employees saw what they taught was a way to scam the system and took advantage of it. No forethought of anyone else whom is less fortunate then themselves. Many or some of whom despise any government assistance. They too attempted to scam the system!!!

The theory is, I've got mine you get yours!!! If you're less fortunate in any way them myself, (not me personally) those high income earners, in this case government employees, tough (Tuff). So very selfish, uncaring and unsympathetic toward those whom are less fortunate then themselves!

They got caught scamming the system and should be punished some how or in some way. Forfeit the money and also pay it back double. Or due community service at the food banks, soup lines, etc. Hundred hours of either would or should open closed eyes!!!! IMO.

What the xxxxxxx? Where not told??? Amazing! Bet some of whom are the church goers too!!! Back to moral compass of decency, decent behavior, caring and consideration for those whom are less fortunate. Seems it goes out the window during times of severe needs.

BTW: Those same employees all likely applied for unemployment benefits too!!!.... Good Grief!!!......

Further more, the very wealthy here in our country providing assistance of any and every type some place else other then right here in our country first... Thousands of children go hungry each night right here in America. How about some assistance here??? So many without medical and dental attention here go wanting, yet the very wealthy and government provide it some where outside our shores???!!!! How about right here in America first???...

Old 11-04-12, 07:13 AM
You shouldn't take things that are meant for people in need. If you don't need it, don't take it. If you do need it, make sure you share it with others in need by not taking every last thing you can get your mitts on.

Old 11-04-12, 08:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Andrew

I totally agree. Problem is in our country we lost our moral compass and forgot what this country's principles were founded on. Today IMO it's all greed based. I got mine. Your get yours!!! I'm here first in line and if there isn't anything left for you during or in these times of severe needs and hardships, so what??? Suffer? Me first then you??? YIKES!!!!

TUFF. (Tough?) I got mine first before you and you get yours if and when you can and when resupplies arrive if they ever do arrive. You can't wait? Again, the thought is TUFF! I'm here first, take what and all I need and if there isn't anything left for you...TOUGH...

The attitude and thought is GREED not need which supersedes all else. Me first and to h-e-l-l with you attitude!!!! Those whom couldn't care less about their fellow residents nor have compassions toward or for their fellow persons in need justify their actions when they give or do penance in church maybe??? That makes it RIGHT??? Maybe??? YIKES!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!

Happens anywhere and everywhere globally. Here in the earth quake prone zone too!!!...

BTW: Ocean waters rise here too! Flooding can and most likely will occur here as well. Maybe sooner then any of my West coast fellow citizens realize. Most attempts to inform them to be prepared falls on deaf ears too!.....