Hurrican Sandy - aftermath

Old 11-05-12, 10:50 AM
Hurrican Sandy - aftermath

I just watched a report on TV regarding the impact Sandy had on the NE power grid. The president of NE Utilities said that there were more than 9 million customers impacted, the largest power outage ever recorded.

In CT alone, crews have removed 10,000 downed trees that damaged power lines, they have replaced more than 1,000 poles, 5,000 crossarms and 2,000 transformers. More than 100 miles of new wire has been strung. Of the 20,000 customers still without power over 1,000 are homes that are flooded/damaged and have been condemned.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
I've wondered as I watch this how long before they start running out of parts, poles, cross arms, insulators, hardware, wire, etc.

Old 11-05-12, 04:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Just maybe the utility companys (electric, water and gas) learned from Catrina to stock up and stay stocked up......????

Hope so... Gas company I use to work for/will always stay stocked up in Ca. Never know when a quake will strike. No prewarnings.

Just happens. Like S..T. Just happens...LOL!...

But should it be the "BIG" one that strikes......we also are aware we will be devastated too!...

Keep the survival supplies updated and ready.

Old 11-05-12, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
All that and the "officials" say it is taking too long. This stuff takes time to put it back together safely.

Old 11-05-12, 07:27 PM
I still don't get how they can patch the 80-year-old stuff around here back together. In fact, I'm surprised I have power, and I live in town

Old 11-06-12, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
On the supply side, I'm guessing the call went out to every state east of the Mississippi to ship excess inventory to the northeast.

Old 11-06-12, 06:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Aftermath Clean Up and Rebuilding

The aftermath for the residents can cause personal miseries too. Insult to injuries as well? The residents and storm effected people not only have to rebuild their lives but also have to rebuild their homes and businesses. One priority is finding honest, reliable, qualified and competent contractors.

Contractors will begin pouring in from everywhere around the country. Just as they did here on the West coast after the earthquakes we had. Problem was, for the customers home rebuilding and/or business owner knowing whom and or how to pick/select a contractor that meets the requirements for the job at hand. Knows to building and safety codes in the area they are working in, are licensed by the state, county or city (which ever applies) where they take on the jobs, etc.

A contractor that has not over extended themselves, burdened themselves by taking on to much work, more then they can handle and complete in a timely manner. Many circumstances can and often do apply. Variations apply. Aftermath horror stories will abound. And lawyers will also flood the areas as well....

The aftermath can and/or may become just as traumatic and problem some as the actual present event for some residents, entrepreneurs. Well above what the utilities and support aid presently is being done by the government and what they can provide presently.

How does one ensure a contractor can be trusted? Effected area residents protect themselves from any of such after the storm after math?????

Old 11-06-12, 07:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Additional and Potential Aftermath Insults, Injuries and Miseries.

What did we learn from Katrina and the BP gulf oil spills? Despite much oversight, when and where possible problems abounded. FE MA provided trailers. That's good. Problem there was many of them where built with inferior and/or sub standard building materials. How would FE MA know? There efforts where well meaning and meant. Where was the moral consciousness of those manufactures of building materials and trailer builders???

How about the inferior building materials that where IMPORTED... not from Detroit nor anywhere else in America but from CHINA????...YIKES.......

Remember the contaminated sheet rock, plywood and electrical wire?????? Where was the oversight for safety and health concerns then??? Certainly NOT from the producers of the raw materials, builders who used the contaminated sub standard raw materials and certainly not enough government oversight from USA personal to ensure product safety.

More insults, miseries added to injuries may will abound. Hopefully, far less then what resulted in the aftermath of both Katrina and or BP's gulf oil spill catastrophes. Another primary reason why governments oversight is needed to protect us from those whom put profits over safety, IMO.

Import from America........

Not anywhere from outside our country.......:NO NO NO:

Old 11-06-12, 03:05 PM
Even Seattle City Light is sending crews and equipment to help. Can't get too much further west than Seattle.

Seattle City Light travels to East Coast to restore power | www.kirotv.com

Old 11-06-12, 04:30 PM
It's pretty bad out here. The guy I work with heard he won't have power until about the 12th to 14th. It's a good thing he has a wood burning stove.

Old 11-06-12, 10:26 PM
Speaking of power companies and scams there was someone in Virginia who was called on the phone by a scam artist and this person even knew their utility bill account number. They said that there was something wrong with their electric service after the storm and that they had to make repairs but that they needed money. Not sure exactly about all of the details as I was doing other things at the time but the police were called in and I don't think anyone actually came to the house as I think they were scared away. I only heard of one family affected and can't find the story now but people should be wary and call their power company and the police. One thing Dominion Virginia Power said is that they would never charge their customers for anything like that and any charges would be in their bill!
Also as for charitable giving I think it is best to go the American Red Cross website and contribute there instead of anywhere else to help out victims of the storm.

Old 11-07-12, 05:23 AM
Right after the storm there were a few "tree removal crews" out in my area. They would get money up front and then make an excuse like they needed to go get a chipper or a bigger chainsaw and then never return.

Old 11-07-12, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Big problem down here after Charley; lots of people trying to separate people from their money. Lots of unlicensed contractors, too, although the state law making it a felony keeps some of them away.