Oh No! Demise of Hostess. Oh Yes: Return of Hostess.

Old 11-23-12, 04:51 PM
One major misunderstanding about management salaries is that most high level managers are hired by a board of directors. They are the ones that determine compensation for upper management.
Take a closer look at who the board of directors are. Typically they are CEO's of other companies that have the CEO they are looking after on their own board of directors. It's not always such an honest game.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-12, 07:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Make No Mistake. Latest news reports claim CEO, all corp upper management personnel and board members etc will get their bonuses, retirement packages, pay raises, full pensions, medical bennie's for life, etc while the employees got bye bye Holiday PINK SLIPS, the BOOT and the shaft...ASAP.......

Old 12-04-12, 09:00 AM
I have noticed that their potato chip brands have been on sale lately (2 for $x). Looks like most big box stores are clearing out their stock.
I'm guessing this is also affecting us in Canada

Old 12-04-12, 04:07 PM
A smoke screen SA and not entirely factual. It deflects from the fact that the company went under because of a recalcitrant baker's union. Just ask the teamsters.

Old 12-04-12, 04:16 PM
How does upper management get health benefits and pay raises for life if there is no company to pay for them?

Old 12-04-12, 06:04 PM
The latest I heard is that they have another company that wants to buy out most of their business. As to why management is still getting a pension I only assume that they had a different company that set up their pension plan and another company that really messed things up for the workers. I personally would like to see this go to court and have management sued so some relief would come but I doubt they could touch their pension plan as the laws don't currently allow that. Union or no union it is still managements fault in part for mismanagement.

Old 12-05-12, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
The executives have contracts that specifically address those issues....not just something that says this is pay, this is medical. Union contracts would not cover what happens if the company shuts down I imagine? Likely the company has an insurance company to handle medical, another company that handles pensions, etc. If HD went out of business today I'd lose the money invested in their stock, but the 401K I got while employed there would just keep putting along. ANy benefits that I paid into or were matched by HD were managed by an outside firm.

You think some of their contracts are nice? Our County Manager (who just about everyone dislikes) basically wrote his own contract when they hired him. Along with the $175K salary (more than the average State Governor), he gets reimbursed for his travel from home to the County building or any official function. Complete medical/dental for himself and his family paid for. $500K life insurance paid for. He has the car of his choice up to $40 K that gets replaced every 2-3 yrs. Travel and expenses to any Professional development functions and organizations paid for. Some of these are very vague about spending limits and what is considered a Professional organization. A local person did a information request and basically figured out this guy is costing the taxpayers of our County about $400K a year.

Unless he commits a crime with the County listed as a victim, he can't be fired w/o receiving a full year of all the benefits in his contract AND he can still sue for wrongful termination. So even if he gets a DUI or kills someone....if he is fired he still gets his stuff. Oh...and they have kept him around so long that he's now eligible for a retirement check after 10 yrs of "service" thats to go along with his retirement check from the military as an O-6 with 26 yrs. By itself that is worth about probably $65-70K a year.

This isn't the 40's, 50's and 60's anymore. Where you work for a company 30 yrs and retire with a pension and benefits that you never paid a dime for while you worked.

Heck...even more recently....when I joined the Navy it was "free medical for life" after retirement. Is that still true? Nope...not even for me. They are even talking about cutting further back on how retirement works, making it a thrift savings or maybe not getting it til 65 or similar. Canada has done that for years...the contribution thing I mean...but they already have national healthcare anyway

Old 07-17-13, 08:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Return Of The Twinkie

Two quotes from past posts:

It is a done deal according to evening news. The Twinkie is dead.
:NO NO NO: :NO NO NO:

Today I found myself craving a Twinkie.
REJOICE!!!

ALL Twinkie lovers can soon rejoice... Recent TV news reports, Twinkies will return soon...

Wondering what those whom purchased the very last packages of Twinkies are thinking now??? Hopefully, they did not over pay to hoard the last of last years supply.... Nor over pay if prices escalated as supply diminished....

Additionally, will the Ding Dongs, Zingers and Cupcakes make a return soon? If so, when? Stay in tune and we shall find out....

Old 07-17-13, 09:09 AM
A side note Sharp... Not all of us can get excited.
They are not coming to Canada, or at least no set date or discussions of one.

I just have to enjoy my Kinder Surprise eggs instead (not legal in the US for some odd reason).

Old 07-17-13, 12:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

They are not coming to Canada, or at least no set date or discussions of one.
No Canadian products? Not to worry.
Plans in the works. Negotiations soon to be in progress.

Conditions for Canadian Importations:
No import taxes. Canada pays all transportation costs and import fees, if and where applicable etc.

Return of the Twinkie.

Restructuring almost complete!!!

Rehiring of former displaced, laid off and or voluntarily semi retired employees soon to begin.

Conditions for all rehiring:
Minimum wages.
Part time only.
No Corporation offered or supplied employee health care, pension nor R/Savings Plan benefits...

Two Company offered benefits...

Employee product purchases at discounts...

Plus one FREE company supplied SHAFT with each package purchased...

Canadian Manufacturing Facilities:
Plans in development. Negotiations soon to be in progress.

Conditions for Manufacturing Facilities In Discussions:
Canada supplies forever tax free land and no corporate taxes ever.
Fifty/fifty split facilities constructions costs.
U.S. former employees to have priority rehire rights.
Canadian employees paid same wages, no corporate benefits.
Canadian side benefit, Helping to lower wages in Canadian and level the playing field...HA HA.
Company benefits to all employees noted above shall apply.

Employee Benefits Recap:
Employee product purchases at discounts...

Includes FREE SHAFT with each package purchased...

Win - Win for both countries.
Canada gets locally manufactured Hostess products, lower transportation costs and some employee hiring.

America gets, lower manufacturing & production costs and overhead expenses, lower transportation & distribution costs and maximized higher profits for investors, share/stock holders, etc.

WIN - WIN for all but the employees!

All Employees will continue and always get the SHAFT!...

Paul Harvey Quote:
"And now you know the rest of the story"...

Old 07-17-13, 01:16 PM
I just have 2 stocks of Twinkies (my wife and I independently bought). Since they now last 3 weeks longer, they should be good.

In CT about 15 years ago one place offered Twinkies for 2 and a bottle of French Dom Perinon Champagne for about $95.00. - Some people enjoy good mass-produced food made in the U.S.A.

I think the union got too heavy handed because of the name and process and did not realize the product name could be produced and the equipment replaced or moved somewhere else. I don't think the union could have run the company and paid off the debts and funded the benefits they negotiated.

Dick

Old 07-17-13, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
The sweetest comeback ever

At local walmarts here....

Also states smaller size and with longer shelf life....

Oh and also slated to return with the twinkie are classic CupCakes, spiraled HoHos, chocolate-covered Ding Dongs, frosted Zingers, Donettes mini donuts, Fruit Pies and Mini Muffins, Sno Balls, and SuzyQs,

Old 07-17-13, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Oh yes...Zingers! Raspberry and Vanilla were my sugar fix of choice. Twinkies I could take or leave. Unfortunately, the generics just didn't cut it.

I miss frosted Donettes sometimes too....but not nearly as much.

Hey...does anyone remember when they were Ding DONGS.....not King Dons? Or is my memory just completely off?

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-18-13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Hey...does anyone remember win they were King DONGS.....not Dons? Or is my memory just completely off?

Uhhh!!!! Might want to edit that... No I dont...... Ding dongs is all I know

Oh and also slated to return with the twinkie are classic CupCakes, spiraled HoHos, chocolate-covered Ding Dongs, frosted Zingers, Donettes mini donuts, Fruit Pies and Mini Muffins, Sno Balls, and SuzyQs,

Old 07-17-13, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...I did. The chocolate stuff never appealed to me...but I just remembered them as King not Ding. Probably from seeing King Dons so much.

I looked at Wiki and saw how they have changed.

Old 07-17-13, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Oh wait!!!! read here... Interesting...

Ding Dong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-13, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Around here, Ding Dong's were called Drake's "Ring Dings" and HoHo's were Drake's "Yodels".

I thought these were the names on the East Coast, including Jersey. ??

Old 07-17-13, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Drakes fruit pies.... Yes Becky... Drakes...

As funny as it may seem this is the song and commercial I remember as a kid...( Cant believe I found it,,,)

I still sing it today goofing with my kids. They think the stuff I say is made up.. so I am forced to find it on the internet for them...

And if you ate these back then it it was way better then the modern version... There was real chunks of fruit...

The ring dings were foil wrapped.. My mom put them in my scooby doo lunch box....LOL..

Oh and snack packs were in a tin can with a pull tab lid... ha ha....( chocolate pudding...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZTWP2Lg64Ns

Old 07-17-13, 02:59 PM
Are the Twinkies going to be available everywhere soon or just Walmart for a while? I kind of heard conflicting reports. The Twinkie I don't miss all that much and apparently most other Americans don't miss them too much according to recent polls anyway. I did like those chocolate cupcakes though they were real good

Old 07-17-13, 06:40 PM
I never cared much for Twinkies but coincidentally last weekend the wife made a Twinkie tiramisu (seriously!) that was amazing. Couldn't find Twinkies but the Sara Lee copy was as I remember them.

Old 07-18-13, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Twinkies already in Wal-Mart??? Maybe also in some big box shopping markets? Amazing... for those whom like them and able to consume them. Other products soon to arrive??? Great.

I wouldn't know. Never venture down the JUNK? (OOPS!!!) SNACK or (COMFORT) food isles......

Thus far excellent discussion topic and PHOTOS too!!!... More welcomed.

Got Milk???????? Goes better with SNACK/COMFORT and/or JUNK food...LOL!!!

Old 07-18-13, 11:26 AM
I'll admit, I can't remember the last time I had a twinky. Might have been around the same time I was still able to get Hostess Potato Chips

Old 07-18-13, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't know Hostess even had chips but I've never been big on junk food .... or being politically correct

When I was young and thin I'd eat junk food just when it was easily available or to tide me over until I got some more real food Now that I've got extra pounds I can't seem to get rid of, I try to stay clear of junk food. What gets me is I only eat about a third of what I did when I was younger but weigh 50 lbs more

Old 07-18-13, 06:24 PM
Never much of a Twinkies fan but I did like those little pies like the one the guy on 'The Green Mile' used to spray the guard. Blueberry were out of this world.

Old 07-18-13, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
I always liked Funny Bones but the poor bones are shrinking

Name:  funny bones.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  35.5 KB

Search this Thread