Things that make you shake in your boots

Old 11-17-12, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Things that make you shake in your boots

I had done some remodeling on a house and noted the gas logs had burned the frame above the rim. Seemed the logs were too large for the firebox, and the flame jumped out leaving a white spot. I told the new owners not to use the logs and I would have my fireplace guy come by and give his recommendations. He got by Friday and noted right away it was a Heatilator (sp) firebox and the logs were vent free, apparently a no-no in Heatilator's book. Not bad, his wife sells the fireplace stuff, so the customer could get a vented set of logs and be cool. He inspected the flue. There was a vent on top of the roof with a pipe. It emerged 3" into the roof space. There was NO pipe from the firebox to the vent pipe stub Mirror and flashlight confirmed insulation and framing, but no pipe. What are people thinking? You build a rock faced chase and don't put in pipe????? Now it's gonna cost the new owner around $1k to fix it right. Unbelievable. To top it off, the Heatilator box is designed for regular log fires. What would happen? I shudder to think.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-12, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Everyday we see things like this.

Old 11-18-12, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots there are that work on houses. Since moving to east tenn I've seen all kinds of houses with structural issues. A few blocks from church there is a house that has an addition built on the back with a shingle roof that has less than a 1/12 pitch. I don't know if it's water related or undersized floor joists but the whole addition sags in the middle. Kind of looks like the addition is smiling at you.

I painted a house in town that had a back porch that had been enclosed and turned into part of the house. The floor joists were 2x4s with an 8' span

My brother in law bought an old 2 room house that had 6 rms added onto the back with each addition having a lower pitch on the roof than the last. He tore down every thing but the original structure. The 2 rooms added on the very back had a trench dug, no footer and then cinder block laid in the trench without any mortar.

I probably should add that my county didn't adopt a building code until about 20 yrs ago

Old 11-18-12, 06:54 AM
Wonder what condition the roof decking is in with all that gas log condensation pumping into the attic space? Rot...mold...?

Old 11-18-12, 10:25 AM
Oddly enough, and probably because it was a vent free set of logs, there was no moisture damage to the area above. My fear was them finding out it was designed for wood fire, removing the gas logs and firing up a hot fire. BAM.

Old 11-18-12, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Once striped the wood siding from a chimney to replace the rotten parts. The metal duct from the gas fireplace ended inside the wood casing six inches below the cap. Not connected in any way. Worse I found out they had added the gas logs but it was originally intended as a wood burning fireplace. Geeze Louise.

Old 11-18-12, 01:54 PM
And these people reproduce

Old 11-18-12, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, you've been around long enough to know this world has no shortage of dummies and fools
Of course that does help the rest of us to look a little smarter

Old 11-20-12, 04:03 PM
Worse yet I have seen some really bad mistakes being made on a well known tv show we all have watched on and off over the years. One time was with a wooden mantle being too close to the fire box and not meeting code. The other time was with a gas fire place that would vent inside when that was clearly against the local fire code. In those two instances their supposed expert should have known better but didn't use proper judgement. He isn't always bad about things though and I actually give him credit for saving peoples lives by telling them that a fireplace is too dangerous to use. It does make you wonder though at times.

Old 11-28-12, 06:17 AM
Chandler, that was a roof snow melting system?