What a morning

Old 11-26-12, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What a morning

Had to go to the water company this morning because they lost my check and sent a notice last week that my water would be cut off today for nonpayment. After I got the late bill wednessday I called their office but they were already closed for the holidays. A yr or so ago I quit mailing the check because they were always claiming they didn't get it or it was late.... and there have been issues with the mail service since they closed down the local distribution center. Anyway, I now drop the payment in their drop box on my way to church on sunday.

When I asked what happened to the check I dropped off 3 weeks ago they just shrugged and said the box has some cracks that we need to get caulked but if you don't want us to turn off your water you need to pay today plus a $5 late charge I guess from now on I'll have to pay it in person so I can get a handwritten receipt

Got that done, now it's time to order new eye glasses..... only no one wants to sell me glass lenses because I only have vision in one eye. Finally found one shop that will sell me glass lens and they are almost double what the store I've used for the last 30 yrs charges - if they were allowed to sell them to me. Didn't want to but I paid them

Sure hope I've gotten all this week's aggravation out of the way

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Why do you prefer glass lenses Mark? I'd hate wearing glass lenses for the weight. Heck...my wife would never wear them...here prescription is a lot stronger than mine, her glasses would probably weigh a pound. And why would vision in only one eye matter?

Old 11-26-12, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
I don't wear glasses any more but when I did I got glass for the durability and I did often get guff from the shop where I bought them.

Old 11-26-12, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glass doesn't scratch as easily as plastic but the main thing is if I get paint on them. With glass lenses it doesn't matter how much overspray gets on them - I can scrub them with lacquer thinner to clean them up. Lacquer thinner will melt plastic

Apparently it's the lawyers that don't want me to have glass lenses. They claim that IF I was to have an accident and the glasses broke and IF a broken lens was to puncture my good eyeball, I'd be blind and might sue them. They wouldn't accept my offer to sign an affidavit relieving them of responsibility although one store did try but she was shot down by the regional manager.

Yes, my glasses are heavy but I've been wearing glass lenses for about 50 yrs so I'm accustomed to the weight.

Old 11-26-12, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh I wasn't thinking about the cleaning part. I've had experience with that when spraying. I sometimes forget to take them off (mild distance prescription) and regret it when I rattle can parts of some sort. A WD40 soak gets most of it and the rest just wears off after repeated cleanings.

Old 11-26-12, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and the solvents in the WD-40 don't hurt the lenses any? sometimes I get a bit more than a little bit of overspray on my glasses.

Old 11-26-12, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Not that I ever noticed. I've used WD on all sorts of plastics w/o issue. Since the lenses are a polycarbonate I'd guess they are pretty resistant.

Now...how it would work on all paints? No clue. Esp lacquer. The spray paints I use (mostly Krylon) are all cleanup with mineral spirits which is a lot less reactive with things than lacquer thinner I think?

Old 11-26-12, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't often spray lacquer but I do spray automotive or industrial enamels from time to time. Mineral spirits doesn't usually play nice with plastics. Years ago I tried to clean off the clear plastic on a jobsite radio dial - the paint came off but you never could see where the dial was set after that.

Old 11-26-12, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I recommend mineral spirits a lot for cleaning oil based stains on cloth like upholstery or carpet but specify never to use it on polyester, as it will melt it. I can see it doing the same to plastic lenses as well.

Old 11-26-12, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before they ever came out with the 20' bee spray we used to take a beer can cut in half and fill it with mineral spirits to throw on the nest. For fun we'd tell the new guy to get an empty styrofoam coffee cup and throw some thinner on the bees. If I remember correctly, a styrofoam cup will get about 5' from the truck before the bottom melts completely away

Old 11-26-12, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Really? I didn't think it would do much...not that I've tried it. Hmmm...old set of broken glasses here somewhere....experiment time when I come back from the gym.

Old 11-26-12, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...just for everyones edification....paint thinner had no effect on the lenses. Notice I said paint thinner (mostly mineral spirits correct?) not lacquer thinner. Since lacquer thinner has things like acetone and MEK in it, I would expect it to do damage, but I don't have any to try.

Old 11-26-12, 01:27 PM
Mark - Have you considered paying your water bill on line? I've been paying all of my monthly bills on line for at least 10 years. I have never had a problem.

I get a confirmation of receipt of payment immediately.

Old 11-26-12, 03:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wayne, the only thing you can do at that water company's web site is find out how long they've been in business and where they are located - basically a glorified yellow page ad. I do pay what bills I can online although I won't pay the electric bill online, they charge a 2.5% fee and since my cable, phone and internet is packaged with my electric bill - that's more than I care to pay, $5-$10 depending on the time of year.

What really irks me is the fact that I pay about double for my water compared to everyone else
I live on top of hill and loose water pressure on a regular basis. There has never been a month in 21 yrs that I haven't lost water. Every time the water comes back, its dirty and I have to flush the lines. I've looked at water filtration systems but they all seem to require a minimum of 30psi, I average 20-25psi. I know I can get one of those disposable filters but depending on how many times the water goes out that could get costly. I wish I could find one with a cleanable filter. I also think that when the pressure drops the water flows back down the hill and thru the meter charging me for it more than once I bought a check valve to install at the meter a couple of years ago but I haven't installed it yet

Vic, nice to know that plastic lenses aren't damaged by paint thinner. There might be some technical difference between mineral spirits and paint thinner but basically they are the same. The biggest issue with cleaning paint off of glasses is how long it's been on there. After the overspray has been on there for a couple of hours I'm not sure that regular paint thinner would be effective but hot thinners like lacquer thinner will always remove all the paint at the end of the day.
While it would be nice to know the effects of hotter thinners on plastic lenses - I'd hate to see you ruin an old pair of glasses in case you ever needed them

Old 11-26-12, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
I also think that when the pressure drops the water flows back down the hill and thru the meter charging me for it more than once
Well.....of course. After all they're delivering it twice

Old 11-27-12, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mark, my daughter is a Doctor of Optometry and keeps me in glasses. She insists on polycarbonate, scratch resistant coating, Transitions, etc, etc, due to the work I do. Of course, I don't paint. I have a few pairs of glasses that I use, however. My current "cool" glasses hug the sides of my head rather than looping hopelessly over my ears. I love them. I cannot nail hardwood flooring with them, as they want to fall "up" on my head when I bend over. They won't fall down, and stay put normally, but not bent over. So I have another pair with a similar prescription in the truck that stay put better for certain jobs.

Not to mention the "double D's" she made me.....bifocals on top and bottom. Ever stood in front of an electrical panel for hours wiring it? Holding your head back to see close to wire the top breakers? Neck pain. With the top bifocals you drop your head slightly and they are in focus. Love them.

I have a friend who lives on top of a mountain with city water (poor guy) and he had the same problem as you. Only when they turned the water back on to prime the lines, it blew out connections at his house when it came so fast. They eventually put in a check valve at the bottom of the hill so he wouldn't lose prime.

Our Electric company just build a new building in our town.....really fancy schmancy. Along with the new building came a $17 "customer fee" on our bills. I have 3 accounts and pay $54 a month for the privilege of seeing a new building when I go through town. My shop bill is normally about $15.....now it is PLUS the $17 fee....ridiculous.

Old 11-27-12, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
bifocals on top and bottom
Back when I first needed bifocals they talked me into a pair like that. Between getting used to wearing bifocals for the first time and trying to work on the job, they had me all messed up. I wound up getting a 'normal' pair of bifocal lenses made.... but then I seldom need the bifocals in the 'up' position.

I still have power going to my building down by the road [my kids use it for their shop] I was told once the minimum was paid for 5 yrs, the bill would be $10 or the amount of electricity used [whichever was higher] Well for some reason no electricity was used last month but the bill was $23 hope our local POCO doesn't find a need for a new building

Old 11-27-12, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Mark....the frames are broken in 2 places anyway and as old as the scrip is, they can't match a new frame nor would they I'm sure. A shame since I had 2 pair of the magnetic sunglasses for that frame. Kept one in each vehicle.

I do have some nail polish remover...basically acetone. I'll try that.

On the bi-focals....my eye doc said I should probably use them but I tried once before and it messed me up for everything from walking to climbing a ladder. I have just a distance prescription and I take them off when at the computer or reading. Anything real close up I use my jewelers visor.

UPDATE...wow...acetone had no effect. I'm surprised. Still no MEK or lacquer thinner to test though.

Old 11-27-12, 01:49 PM
Last eye exam, daughter told me I had slight cataracts. But she said not to worry, since the cataract surgery gave you perfect vision, you wouldn't need glasses any more. What a trade off

Old 11-27-12, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also have the beginnings of a cataract. When my father had his cataract surgery they removed the lens [?] at the same time and he didn't need glasses for several yrs after that.

I guess you travel a long way to see your eye doctor

Old 11-27-12, 02:59 PM
Yeah, Denver. I get 1700 frequent flyer miles, though. One way.

Old 11-27-12, 04:23 PM
As per the original post, I pay most of my bills using my bank's bill pay service. As long as you give them the account number, they take responsibility for getting the payment delivered by the time you specify. Depending on the biller, it will either be an ACH transfer or a mailed check.

As per glasses, I switched to contacts at least a decade ago. Man, I wish I did that a lot sooner. I do have a pair of glasses I wear at night. I get the lightweight plastics. I know how much the old style polycarbonates weighed, I can't imagine what glass would be in my prescription.