8 OZ. or 50 lb?

Old 11-26-12, 02:58 PM
8 OZ. or 50 lb?

So I've been meaning to re-caulk the tub for a while now. Saturday I decide to get it over with, figure it should take 45 min and I'll have the rest of the day to do fun stuff. The old caulking cuts out clean and easy with a razor blade and the whole string of caulk peels out nice in one long strip...along with a few of the bottom row of tiles. Now I knew this was a 45 year old tile job and I knew it was installed on plain sheetrock (not even green) and I knew it was stuck on with mastic and I knew I dealt with this issue on the adjacent wall and I knew I didn't want to deal with it on this particular Saturday. I said to myself, they seem solid and the grout will hold them in there til I get the caulking on and what I can't see can't hurt me. But no, it turns into a whole day job splicing a strip of backer board in (I know what you're thinking, don't say it), cleaning the old crap off the back of the loose tiles, look for the bag of thinset I know I have around somewhere. An old bag, 3-4 years I would guess. Now I know about shelf life and moisture absorbtion and there was only a few lumps in the bag and all that stuff but that only happens to other people, besides I'll add some latex admix and it's only 4 tiles, it'll work. Total denial. I go ahead and set the tiles. After a day and a half, the leftover thinset in the plastic container ain't gettin hard, I'm starting to get concerned. Next day I'm forced to admit it, total thinset failure, I'm heartbroken. I pull the tiles off with my fingers, clean all the good for nothing crumbly mortar off the wall and the back of the tiles, run down to the big box and into the tile section. I was sure they had smaller quantities of the stuff, like 10 Lb boxes but no. They did have a little plastic container about 8 OZ which is exactly how much I needed. It was what I needed but it was $7 and the 50Lb bag below it was $6. I am stubborn and I am cheap and as much as I didn't want to lift a 50Lb bag, I Didn't want to give them the satisfaction of charging me a dollar more for a coffee cup's worth of powder. So now I have a 49 1/2 lb bag of thinset that will sit around for several years until I need it again and find it has turned into a 49 1/2 lb solid rock. I have to wait a day or two to grout. I know I have half a box of leftover grout, it's only 3 or 4 years old, I'm pretty sure it will work.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like some of the days I've had along the way

Hope your grout works ok for you..... maybe you can find someone to give or sell your extra thinset to.
They price joint compound about the same way, a 5 gal bucket is only pennies more than the 1 gallon bucket.

Old 11-26-12, 05:05 PM
Sometimes I find the $7 a good price for not humping around 49 pounds worth of stuff I don't need and then finding a place to store it in my house for the next 20 years. I also know what the dump charges.

Old 11-26-12, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
I got a chuckle out of this. You just can't make this sh*t up

Search this Thread