Latest thing with Auto Zone

Old 12-04-12, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Latest thing with Auto Zone

Well it seems Auto Zone fired an employee who armed himself and foiled a robbery in one of their stores, due to a zero tolerance policy. I don't do facebook, but I clicked on wifey's account and put Auto Zone in the search bar at top....ooooh, not gonna be a nice day for them it seems.

Everyone's supporting the employee and telling AZ, there's Pep Boys or O'Reilly's just around the corner, so bye bye.

Interesting read so far.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-12, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A year or so ago there was a girl that worked in a mini mart around here and they fired her after she foiled a robbery attempt..... strange world we live in

Old 12-04-12, 02:39 PM
Why not just hang a sign in the window.......We are unarmed and have MONEY!!!

Old 12-04-12, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
I thing I have mentioned it here before a dry cleaner chain here a long time ago had problems with a string of armed robberies. They hired off duty law enforcement officers to sit hidden in the back of some of the cleaners with shotguns. They took out ads in the paper and gave interviews to the media on their policy of randomly rotating them from day to day though the various branches of the cleaners. They made a Dirty Harry like challenge asking the robbers how lucky they felt. Would you believe the robberies stopped?

Old 12-04-12, 03:43 PM
Like the town of Suwanee, GA. It is required for all heads of households to own and know how to operate a firearm. Now, you are a perp, and you want to rob someone's house.....do you go to Suwanee, or neighboring Buford, or Downtown Atlanta? Safest place in Georgia, IMO.

Old 12-04-12, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Another I read about was a small town cafe that gotten broken into several times. Near an interstate as I recall so it wasn't locals doing it. To stop the burglaries he stopped locking the door at night and let the regular customers, highway patrol, and sheriffs deputies know he'd leave coffee and food out. Any one was welcome and they could come by when he was open to pay. Well guess where the county and state LEOs started hanging out at night plus regular customers out late when every place else was closed. No more burglaries and a little more income.

Old 12-04-12, 04:43 PM
Years ago NYC police attempted to get a handle on pawn shop and liquor store robberies that were getting to be out of control. They preposiitoned officers in back rooms and behind mirrored glass. They foiled a dozen robberies and killed several robbers in shootouts. The were forced to stop the program because it was considered racist.

Many businesses require a "hand over the money" policy because of their insurance. If an employee were to get injured or killed trying to protect the till the business would be wide open for a lawsuit.

Old 12-04-12, 04:54 PM
But, Wayne, most robbers don't want eye witnesses to testify against them. Some (most) are druggies and couldn't care less about your life. So your chances of living are reduced to 50-50 at that point at best. Hand over the money just makes rich robbers into rich killers, IMO.

Face it, we have satellites in space that can take a legible picture of a nickel on a manhole cover in downtown Manhattan, but we can't get cameras that take decent pictures at 30' in a robbery, so go figure.

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Old 12-04-12, 05:37 PM
In the District Of Columbia they have what they call All Hands On Deck in a nod I assume to the Navy. Anyway it has been proven that when they have All Hands On Deck and every officer on the beat regardless of rank that the crime rate has gone down in certain areas. The police union doesn't care for it but that is to be expected as they have to have something to complain about. The public though for the most part doesn't complain too much about it. But it was almost permanently canceled when they had a change of mayors and then there was a public outcry and support for the chief of police. Speaking of guns with a change of laws as required by the Supreme Court they now are allowed to buy hand guns in the District of Columbia.

Old 12-06-12, 07:41 AM
I can understand the reason they would have a policy like that.
The loss of a few $$ does not equal a life.
Unless the kid behind the counter was specifically hired as security, the liability for the business of someone got hurt or killed is huge.

Here in Canada, most (smart) businesses will have loss of business insurance (correct name?). A robbery of stolen product is normally covered under this provided the criteria required by the insurance company is met (cameras and signage generally). So, a small claim with the insurance company is much easier then dealing with injuries, death, the police and the ministry of labor.

When my parent's owned a few retail shops when I was a kid, we (my parents and I) would instruct them to workers that if a robbery happen, give them the money from the tile (if demanded), grabbing from the lowest side of the tile first. They were also instructed to never, ever try to stop or detain the robber. If they at any time put themselves at risk by trying to stop or detain during a robbery, they would be fired.
Remember it is about the safety. Monetary items or cash is insurable.

Luckly we never had a hold up incident.

Old 12-06-12, 03:37 PM
I agree with the theory, Mike, but in this instance, the store manager was being held on his knees at a safe at gunpoint. His chances of surviving this was reduced. The robber wasn't a snatch and grab from the till. He wanted the money in the safe, and probably wasn't intending on going to jail by being identified. Mr. McLean could have gotten in his car and driven home, but I laud his integrity and compassion in returning to "rescue" his manager.

Old 12-06-12, 10:10 PM
So in return for saving his mangers life he gets fired. that gratitude for you.

Old 12-07-12, 05:06 AM
I agree with the theory, Mike, but in this instance, the store manager was being held on his knees at a safe at gunpoint. His chances of surviving this was reduced. The robber wasn't a snatch and grab from the till. He wanted the money in the safe, and probably wasn't intending on going to jail by being identified. Mr. McLean could have gotten in his car and driven home, but I laud his integrity and compassion in returning to "rescue" his manager.
I didn't read up on the actual story, so I didn't know any details. Was just going on what I know is generally company policy at most places.

That being said, I'd have been fired too.
Maybe even arrested.

Old 12-07-12, 08:22 AM
Unless the guy admits that he planned to kill the manager, you can't assume the robbers intentions. Has this guy killed before? I've seen the new stories that the guy "saved his manager's life." I don't know how people are making that leap.

Statistically it is much more dangerous to confront an armed robber than it is to just hand over the money. The fact that the employees saw his face means little. How many store/bank camera shots do we see on the evening news where the robber was not disguised? Yet nobody gets hurt.

Old 12-07-12, 02:56 PM
You're on your knees with this guy holding a gun to your head and you think he is going to teach Sunday School??? It doesn't matter what his intentions were as we assume them. That store manager's life was in imminent danger. He probably didn't have time to ask him if he had killed anyone before. We're not talking Monday morning armchair quarterback here. It was happening in real time.

Old 12-07-12, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You never know for sure what is going to happen during a robbery and some of us have a natural instinct to not let the scumbag get away with it. There is a store about a mile from the house that was robbed over 20 yrs ago. They say that if the lady who ran the store hadn't resisted she wouldn't have been killed but then the partner of the guy that shot her, shot and killed another store owner just 20 minutes earlier..... and justice is slow!! That scumbag has been tried 3 or 4 times and just this past year he agreed to plead guilty if they took the death penalty off of the table Life without parole but we got to pay to feed and house him

Old 12-07-12, 04:57 PM
I think anytime you are moved to another geographic position under gun point, your life is in imminent danger. Sure, maybe the robber has no intent of killing you, but I wouldn't want to take that chance.