Lets not forget...Dec, 7th

Old 12-07-12, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Lets not forget...Dec, 7th

Thanks to all men and women in the military seving our country, the great U.S.A

Hopefully we are fighting the fight that will keep this from happening again on U.S soil.

God bless you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Vw_bL3RyGQ#!

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-07-12 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-12, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Mike. I usually manage to get something up on these type holidays, but up to my armpits in other stuff this morning.

Did remember to get the flag up.

Old 12-07-12, 12:24 PM
If anyone has the opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial please do so. It should be on everyone's list of things to do if you vacation in Hawaii.
There is a lot more there than just visiting the Arizona.

Thanks for posting Mike. As the years pass we tend to forget some of the important things that shaped our country. Especially now when there are so few survivors left to remind us.

Old 12-07-12, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah my grandfather did three tours in WWII......

He is still around and smart as a whip. Company G paratrooper medic.

Italy, Normandy, and one other...I cant remember... @ Normandy they were blown 5 miles off course. Dont know if its in the record books...

Old 12-07-12, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Visited the Arizona in 1987 while on an unscheduled one week layover (@MCAS Kaneohe Bay) coming back from Westpac. Memorable doesn't begin to describe it.

Old 12-07-12, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
I went to Hawaii 1984. Yes, the Arizona is a special place. An overwhelming feeling of sorrow.

Old 12-07-12, 05:01 PM
Name:  MCAS Kaneohe.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  29.0 KB

I've played golf at MCAS Kaneohe several times. They have a couple of ocean holes that rival Pebble Beach. The difference - MCAS $12 a round. Pebble $400 a round. No that's not me in the photo btw.

My Arizona sea story - The first time I visited the USS Arizona memorial there were a bunch of Japanese teenagers there. They were loud and obnoxious like most teenagers. Then an old Japanese man said something in Japanese and they all shut up. No "eff you old man", no giggles, no griping. They just shut up.
I asked the docent (a survivor) who he was and all he said was that "he was here." Apprently he was one of the Japanese pilots on Dec 7th.

Old 12-07-12, 07:50 PM
My father who has passed was in the navy. He never was in the pacific though as he was drafted after Pear Harbor was attacked by the Japanese and towards the end of the war. His job was to take care of equipment in South Africa and to take care of supplies for the troops. So as things came in from the navy ships he would see that supplies were stored and vehicles repaired. He would also take supplies to a prisoner of war camp that mainly housed Italian prisoners of war so he learned a bit of Italian while he was there. I think I still have a picture somewhere that shows him next to a big huge machine gun the supply ship had as of course they were subject to attack too. To my knowledge though I don't think his ship ever had to use its guns.