A tragedy in CT

Old 12-14-12, 09:51 AM
A tragedy in CT

At least 27 killed in a local elementary school shooting, 18 of them children, 5-10 years old.

I have not been this sad since 9/11. I have two grandkids in elementary school and I can only imagine the terror felty by parents of the students in that school.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Its a very sad day indeed.

Why anyone takes the lives of innocent men, women and children is beyond belief.

My heart and prayers go out to all the families affected.

I gave all my kids a hug and kiss with a tear in my eye....So sad I cant even watch the news anymore...

Old 12-14-12, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I can't even imagine....

I'm having a hard time concentrating on work this afternoon.

Old 12-14-12, 12:22 PM
Having small children, one going to school next year... I could never imagine something like this.

It's very sad that we are hearing more and more about these types of shootings.

Old 12-14-12, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's hard to comprehend that there are people in this world that are that evil. So sad. My heart goes out to all those affected by this senseless act of violence.

Old 12-14-12, 02:52 PM
I can't understand this type of violence either. I don't have any kids but do have a young great nephew and great niece about their ages and it would be a terrible loss if anything like that ever happened to them. So I can just imagine how bad it is for the families of each of those children. I personally think in today's world we need more security in the schools to try to prevent things like this from happening.

Old 12-14-12, 04:51 PM
The guy's mother was a teacher at the school. He was known there so they let him in.

The anti gun people are already having a field day with this.

Old 12-14-12, 05:00 PM
The saddest thing I have read in a very long time.

Old 12-14-12, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
He should have just popped himself and called it good, why did he feel the need to take others with him? A very sad thing all the way around. Bad for the victims, bad for the gun owners.

Old 12-14-12, 06:21 PM
I agree with you Tolyn Ironhand the thing is with people like that they are not going to just pop themselves and call it good. Unfortunately with people like that they want to take as many people as they can before killing themselves or having the police kill them. I personally think that anyone who becomes insane or a little off where they could kill someone should be prevented from buying guns or have their guns confiscated if they become dangerous. Of course there are privacy laws but in this case privacy shouldn't apply.

Old 12-17-12, 05:39 AM
I also believe that there should be a few select faculty members who are armed in case of events like this. Walking around school today I can see all of the places intruders can get in.

Old 12-17-12, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Locally, we have "resource officers" in some [maybe all] of our public schools. They are sheriff deputies in the county schools, not sure about the city schools. When that program first started, I questioned the expense but can see the value in it now.

Back when I was in school the only violence ever heard of was the occasion fight in the play ground.

Old 12-18-12, 05:57 AM
I still have a hard time with the armed security and what not in schools.
When I was in highschool, we got our first camera installed when they put in an ATM machine (mid-late 90's).

Old 12-18-12, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These cretins pick and choose the weakest part of our society to do their damage. They absolutely KNOW there is no protection in schools or public gathering places due to inept political processes. What should we expect? If you can't prevent the incident from happening early on, then you should be able to stop it before it gets bad. Having arms in a school, in a protected manner, under the supervision of trained personnel only makes sense. You are no match for a mentally unstable gunman by holding your hands up in front of your face.

Old 12-18-12, 06:53 AM
These cretins pick and choose the weakest part of our society to do their damage. They absolutely KNOW there is no protection in schools or public gathering places due to inept political processes. What should we expect? If you can't prevent the incident from happening early on, then you should be able to stop it before it gets bad. Having arms in a school, in a protected manner, under the supervision of trained personnel only makes sense. You are no match for a mentally unstable gunman by holding your hands up in front of your face.
The bolded text is very important and often over looked.
I hear way too often from folks I know south of the CAN/US border that they are armed to protect themselves. Only a few regularly fire their weapons to stay in practise. Very few, if any, actually have proper training for these types of situations. Someone armed, but not trained for actual stressful situations can be as dangerous or more then the whack job who started the situation.

Old 12-18-12, 07:43 AM
Arming school personnel isn't the answer just like removing guns from law abiding citizens isn't the answer.

I grew up in a house full of guns. All the adults I knew owned guns and all the kids I hung out with had guns. I used to strap a shotgun to the crossbars of my bike to go hunting small game. When we moved to a city I used to ride the bus carrying my shotgun. The driver always asked "is that thing loaded" and I would show him that it wasn't. Can you imagine that now?

Like Mark said, when we were kids school violence was limited to the occasional fist fight and even then there were rules. Today, we live in a terribly violent society. Take an emotionally disturbed kid and bombard him with all the violent images in hte movies and TV, add violent "shooter" games and you end up with Columbine and Newtown. Add to that the noteriety that 24 hr coast to coast media coverage and it's easy to see where some whacke3d out kid can develope an "I'll show them" attitude.

Old 12-18-12, 09:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Someone armed, but not trained for actual stressful situations can be as dangerous or more then the whack job who started the situation.
I agree the training is necessary, and I don't know of anyone who would object to the cost of such if that is the route they wanted to take. I do not think, however, an armed defense man would wind up killing 26 people while trying to take down the perpetrator.

Arming school personnel isn't the answer
We don't have school personnel carry fire extinguishers with them all the time, either, but having access to one can avert a bad situation. Granted this isn't definitive, as much more thought would have to be given before this would or could be implemented. I am just interjecting theory in practice.