Yes...I am the KING!

Old 01-01-13, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Yes...I am the KING!

And I have all the vassals and serfs out there to thank for it.

Had been out in the garage all morning cleaning up and setting up for making some trim for the wifeys gym where she has been since 6AM, painting. Went back in the house just before going to buy supplies and noticed it seemed cold. 67 vs stat setting of 70! Oh no! Not today! Nothing is open for any parts! And I have a rooftop package unit and my ladders are out on loan!!!

Ahhh...neighbor is gone and he leaves his ladder in the carport. 1 Problem solved. Up on the roof with basic tools, inducer is running (could hear it from below anyway). Pull the cover (after pulling the fused disconnect) and plug the disconnect back in while observing. Inducer runs, nothing else happens. Notice a burn(?) mark on the ignitor wire...crap! Checked it with a meter, good continuity and the "burn" was just collected crud. Pulled the ignitor assy (after 2 trips up and down the ladder for tools). Cleaned with steel wool (hey...what are the type with 2 rods that look like a spark gap and another slightly away to the side?). Reinstalled ignitor (after another trip up and down for tape to hold the screw in the socket). Still nothing with power applied.

Tried testing pressure switch but forgot a hose to suck/blow....back down the ladder. Switch clicked and checked good for continuity/open during operation.

I was praying it wasn't the ignitor module.....and I don't think I have a real control board...unless it's in the same module as the HV to the ignitor.

Re-connected everything after cleaning connections and did a test.....SUCCESS! 4 cycles so far and it's still working.

I never would have known about pressure switches and draft inducers except for all the folks here. I'm guessing that was the problem? Either that or bad connections.

I just want to thank everyone for all their contributions that help me fool wifey in to thinking I can fix anything. Oh...and probably saving me $400 (that I can't afford) for a service call.

Happy New Year!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-13, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
You are DA MAN! Nice job!

Old 01-01-13, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
When I first saw the title.....I thought you were watching the Honeymooners New Years Day special

Old 01-01-13, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Really feels good when a plan comes together. Good work.

Old 01-01-13, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
I thought Elvis was the 'KING"... I think I am going to cry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISPgbosZUw

Old 01-01-13, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
I hope you get steak or lobster for dinner.

Old 01-01-13, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Day old Subway and pizza....she's back at the gym painting after her 6 mile training run.

Does anyone else experience the problem of explaining the effort and money saved on these type things? And then getting crap for not finishing the project you were starting on?

Arrrgggh!

Old 01-02-13, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, been there.

I have a buddy whose wife has an inability to see the end result of a project anywhere along the way, so he never tackles anything big unless she's out of town. He found this out when she came home to find the back seat of her car in the driveway along with all of the door and trim panels while he installed a new stereo, speakers and wiring.

Old 01-02-13, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Well I had my own little feeling this morning. I just finished my first Irish wiring job this morning via this forum and it worked. Wow nothing blew up. Probably shouldn't have even tried but what the heck there is a whole ocean between me and him if anything had went boom.

Padday if you read this just having a little fun.

Old 01-02-13, 08:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Feel for ya! I've been in Denver setting up an Optometric practice with daughter and SIL. Installed all computers, got them running in conjunction with main server, eye chart screens, cloned to main screens, installed music sound system, so far 600' of monster cable to individual room sound controllers, just a myriad of things...........Practice is open and no one can see what I did That's OK, I know.

Old 01-02-13, 10:14 AM
@ OP:
Hold on a sec...did I read right that you unplugged a bunch of stuff, hooked it all back up & it worked? I don't want to burst your bubble but this sounds like a problem that will return very soon.
I've lost count how many times my troublesome high efficiency HW heater has tricked me into thinking I had fixed it. Cracked hot-surface ignitors, pitted relay contacts, cracked circuit boards and cold solder joints all will work for a time after being disturbed.

I do hope I'm off base but the symptoms sure sound like an intermittent that drove me nuts several months ago. Occasionally it would refuse to light even though the inducer ran & the pressure switch seemed to be fine. It was SO intermittent that I eventually replaced the control box because I could never determine exactly which relay or transistor was the real culprit.

Old 01-02-13, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Hey Guy...
Well...not exactly....
I did clean the spark ignitor and re-routed the HV wire so it wasn't near anything. Cleaned the connections and purged the rubber tube from the inducer fan to the switch. I know the pressure switch and tube can be an issue with these things.

Like I said.....I don't think I have a control board, unless it is integrated in the ignition module. My attic mounted furnace back in VA had a Honeywell control module and a separate ignition module. I may have missed the control board as I only took the panels off the furnace side of the unit (it's a package unit). It's 20 yrs old...so it's a lot simpler than the newer ones. No status lights or anything like that.

First time I've had any issues...and it's still working fine today. Who knows...maybe just the power being removed reset something?