Is the NRA stupid?

Old 01-16-13, 10:54 AM
Is the NRA stupid?

Or are they just arrogant and insensitive? The governor of CT calls it "dumb and insulting" and in a first - I agree with him. The funny thing is, just a couple of days ago I was thinking of rejoining the NRA.

A new "shooter" app released by the NRA on the one month anniversary of Sandy Hook.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-13, 12:44 PM
Far better than some of the video games that are out there that actually shoot people, (call of duty, ect. Target shooting is nothing new so I really don't see that big of an issue once you remove emotions from the equation. BTW, Wife and I just renewed with NRA since there is much much more on the line than most folks realize.

Old 01-16-13, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wayne, I don't see anything insensitive about their target practice game app. It won't load on Ipod touch, so I'll have to wait until wifey gets back from Boone, NC. to load it on her Ipad.

My gosh, look at the games being played by kids nowadays. It is no wonder we don't have more hate and discontent rampaging. They even play with each other via some sort of internet hookup and headsets. One of my grandsons is stuck to his monitor and headsets at every waking minute with the gosh awfulest games depicting mayhem, war, blood and guts, shooting everything in sight. Makes me sick to know these games are out there for our young people to suckle on. What happens when they are thrust into the real world??? Go after THOSE games if you want something positively done. That innocuous NRA target shooting game is so mundane, it is amazing how much negative reaction it garners. The response game by some individual targeting the President of the NRA and the Executive VP giving the opportunity to kill each one them has drawn absolutely no reaction from liberal media types, but the NRA target practice is nigh unto Armageddon???? Give me a break.

Old 01-16-13, 02:43 PM
I don't see anything really wrong with it compared to other video games out there. At the same time I don't think it is appropriate for real young children but then the other real violent games are not appropriate either.

I personally believe it is up to parents to decide whether a video game is appropriate or not and see to it that inappropriate games are never played by children. I personally think children need to grow up more before they are exposed to such games if they ever are.

Old 01-16-13, 02:58 PM
Larry < Go after THOSE games if you want something positively done.>
Amen! Why is something so obvious yet absent as a part of the needed solution?

Bud

Old 01-16-13, 03:47 PM
Guys, it ain't the content. it's about perception and timing. Here in CT, where people are still angry and grieving, it's a slap in the face.

With all the media and political coverage following Sandy Hook I would think the NRA would be smart enough to realize how the release of this app would be received. Why couldn't they hold the release for a couple of months?

Old 01-16-13, 06:21 PM
It gives the impression the NRA is making a point by releasing it on the 1 month anniversary.

Old 01-16-13, 06:27 PM
I think the thinking Wayne and not the timing is with those who are the highest up in the NRA. I don't know this for a fact but I believe they want to score some points with gun owners. What it is doing though is creating a backlash among some people. Myself though since I am further away than you are I personally think it is more about the content but I can also see why you and others in your state would be upset.

Organizations though no matter who they are I have found don't always think the same at the very top as an individual would. One example of that outside of the NRA are unions as some unions at the very top don't think the same way an individual might who belongs to that union. I personally think the NRA is a good organization and has many members who want to do what is right it is just the people at the top who don't always think the same way you or I would. Personally for myself I don't belong to any political organizations as they usually end up disappointing you in some way or other.

Old 01-17-13, 07:41 AM
I think this game is a good idea compared to most other videogames that involve shooting, however, the release date should've been changed.

Old 01-17-13, 12:02 PM
Timing may not have been perfect, but was there any new releases of violent video games depicting killing and mayhem during this same time period?? No one thought about that, did they? I am not belittling the incident in Sandy Hook, but casting all our blame on the NRA for an innocuous target game, and NOT including the other mind bending games that are REALLY at fault is an omission on our part. Do them all, or leave the one be.

Old 01-17-13, 12:51 PM
I agree Larry having seen just that little bit of it online it really isn't near as bad as the other games out there. The thing that needs to be done though is have more control over who buys video games online. In stores they already have ratings on them so young children are prevented from buying an adult game. They should do the same for game downloads too so that young children are not exposed to something they are not ready for. As to the when they are ready it is up to the parents to decide for their minor children.

Old 01-17-13, 04:47 PM
Yeah. I don't think blaming violent video games is accurate. Those games sell by the millions. If they really screwed people up, we'd know it for sure. Video games have been blamed for bad behavior since the days of pong. Enough already. Kids know the difference between reality and games.

Old 01-17-13, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
"Kids know the difference between reality and games"

I think MOST kids do....depending on their home environment. Much as I hate to say it though...some don't...because they have no real world connection.

No simple answer...I know I don't have one.

Old 01-18-13, 04:30 AM
Droo, I'll have to go with Vic on this. If kids move from feeding on mother to these games, they have no real world connection. They are mesmerized by their ability to kill and be killed, and "start over". No harm no foul. That's not real life. There is no "restart" button out here. Most are glued to the screen at every fleeting moment, except to go to the bathroom and eat. Not good.

Old 01-18-13, 07:20 AM
Well, this article convinced me LINK. They are all three. Arrogant, insensitive and stupid. Christie is 100% on the money, but then he usually is.

I don't know how much violent video games, movies or TV contribute to the problem but I have no doubt that they're a factor in at least a couple of the mass shootings.

In another thread (where I did a poor job of making my point) I listed the top 10mass shootings. I thought the one thing that popped out to me was that 7 out of 10 murderers were known to have mental problems. The 3 school murders were perpetrated by guys that were being treated for one form or other of mental illness.

Old 01-18-13, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Just had to sit here and say, this may be our next president.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=vP1sG2AcksA#!

Old 01-18-13, 09:14 AM
He's right. BUT, who was standing with King O when he signed the 23 declarations the other day, and who was playing the child trump card, then? Goes both ways, IMO. Neither of which was called for. Children are children, not pawns to be used for political gain.

Old 01-18-13, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
he signed the 23 declarations the other day, and who was playing the child trump card, then?
Oh my....Please explain....

Old 01-18-13, 10:08 AM
His entire dissertation prior to signing the proclamations was to address the tragedy at Sandy Hook. When he went to sign the papers, there were children standing around for a photo op and he used it to the fullest. What better way to melt the public's position on an issue than to bring innocent children into the foray. It does not belong in politics, period.

Old 01-18-13, 10:22 AM
Larry,

I think Christies point was that the children of public figures, especially those of the president are, and should be, off limts to those that would use them for politicla purposes.

Obama's kids, and even Obama, have no say about their protection. For the NRA to call Obama a hypocrite because his children get Secret Service protection was unconscionable.

Old 01-18-13, 10:52 AM
I agree with Christie and you. Kings kids should not be used. Neither should the children at the photo op for his document signing. Same premise. Using the kids. Untenable.

Old 01-18-13, 02:15 PM
I personally didn't see the signing of the declarations which doesn't really have much teeth to it but I heard about it and I agree school age children shouldn't have been used. At the time I was busy doing other things and when it was mentioned on the news I really didn't care all that much.
The only thing I strongly agree with is having gun owners checked everywhere to see if they are mentally ill or if they have a criminal background. Everywhere to me means even private sales between a home owner and another home owner. Surely it takes only minutes to go to a local gun shop where the two parties can get together while the gun shop owner can get the right papers so that the buyer is checked. At gun shows have dealers there of new guns who can file the proper papers. It will not completely stop criminals from getting guns but will make it just a bit tougher as one loop hole will be closed.