Manditory Registration?

Old 01-16-13, 11:23 AM
Manditory Registration?

I haven't seen the entire list of proposed or actual gun regulations, but I did see they want a mandatory background check for all gun purchases, all, not really a problem. But how can they tell when, where, or how, someone purchases a gun, other than from a dealer, and that the firearm has changed ownership? Without mandatory registration of all guns, there is no way to ensure a paper trail. And what good is a paper trail at preventing the wrong people from owning guns?

Political mileage, and a total waste of time, money, and effort at identifying the real problem and making some real improvements. We stand in line at the airport with shoes in hand because the world we live in has changed. Providing security for our schools should have been done long ago. Dealing with security on all occasions when more than a few people gather should be discussed today.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-13, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well....there would be no way to trace casual purchases where the law wasn't followed...but if they traced something back..I assume each person that did not do a legal transfer would be subject to criminal charges. Just like speeding..if you don't mind the penalties, you don't care.

Seems like a while back that were state law in some places. Not where I ever lived, but I think I read about it. State regulated transfer fee at a licensed dealer IIRC.

When I moved to N. CA in about 1982 or so....I was wondering about the laws, so I called the local PD about it. They stated they would like a list of what weapons I owned, when I asked if it was a law, they hemmed and hawed a bit but finally said no, but it was for safety of their officers and in case they were stolen. I just said, well, since I obey the laws, I have a list of my weapons, and called you to ask, I don't think I'm who you need to worry about. End of conversation.

Btw....when I've sold guns to an individual...I asked them to give me a photocopy of their DL. I had one guy out of 4 (who I didn't know real well) say "Uhhhh I don't have a DL". Since he drove to meet me....I basically said, "Sorry...just don't feel comfortable with the sale". Told him to get back to me when he had ID. Never heard from him.

Old 01-16-13, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
One of the local rag papers did a little experiment a while back on the 'gunshow loophole' hoping to get some dirt on guns. What ended up happening was the columnist was told over and over and over he could not buy a gun without a permit to acquire. I don't buy the argument that gunshows are such a problem. And, as Vic demonstrated, responsible gun owners are responsible gun sellers. I'm a bit on the paranoid side, I sell my guns to stores knowing full well I've cost myself some profit for the peace of mind. That said, I mostly keep the guns I buy, I've only sold two.

Old 01-16-13, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
None of my guns have any registration attached to them. I make sure there is no paper trail. I have a concealed weapons permit for my state, which would tell any individual, gun shop, cop, whomever, that I have been checked out thoroughly. Our Probate Court takes forever to issue permits, claiming the Feds are slow, claiming the State is slow. Fingerprints taken for background check. Permit has picture, 3 holographs, and a bar code....IMO it's pretty secure. We had the legislature eliminate the fingerprint on the permit. I don't see why a State permit to purchase could not be an alternative to individual background checks. You have a permit, you get the gun. CCW's would act as a permit. So it takes a while to get the permit. Consider it a cooling off period, or a "did I really want that particular pistol" delay.

Old 01-16-13, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
MN requires a CCP/CWP or Permit to Acquire to purchase a handgun.

Old 01-16-13, 02:53 PM
Many years back, if memory serves me, some part of Canada kicked the tax on cigarettes sky high for all the right reasons. Some time thereafter they eliminated the huge tax, why, because all they ended up doing was creating a new culture of smugglers and criminals. I'm sure there are more guns in my state than people, but once the laws go to far, my guess is more than half our population in Maine will end up being criminals rather than following the letter of the law. I hope the food in jail is good.

I will hold my tongue until I get a chance to read what has been done and see how long people think it will last.

Bud

Search this Thread