school bus chains

Old 01-17-13, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
school bus chains

I got behind a school bus this morning and saw 4-6 short chains hanging down about mid way under the bus. They looked to be on each side of the drive shaft. Any idea of what their purpose is?

With all the snow we are getting this afternoon I know tire chains could be used but surely they wouldn't store them way under the bus...... not that the average bus driver would even know how to put them on

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
If they were touching the ground...probably for static.

Old 01-17-13, 03:09 PM
There's alot in snow country,look up automatic snow chains.

Old 01-17-13, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The chains looked to be about a 1' long but they lacked about 6" from dragging the pavement.
It just looked odd and got my curiosity up and you kn ow what curiosity did to the cat
good thing I'm not a cat

I guess I better turn the pc off, the lights keep flickering

Old 01-17-13, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Old 01-17-13, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Wow...never heard of or seen those before....makes perfect sense though.

Old 01-17-13, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, kiss my grits. I would have guessed a land mine flail. Good to know Mike.

Old 01-17-13, 04:58 PM
Wow. That's really cool.

Old 01-17-13, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, I've gotta get some of those. I'm still cleaning the interior of the car from New Years when I had to put traditional chains on the car.

Old 01-17-13, 05:10 PM

wow again......very cool

Old 01-18-13, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Mike!!

I had never heard of anything like that. The video explains in well. Seems like you always wind up having to take your gloves off to install traditional tire chains

I wonder if all the buses have it or just the ones that have mountain roads on their route?

Old 01-18-13, 06:29 AM
Buses around here don't seem to have 'em. I expect that they're an option that only cold-weather school districts generally purchase.

Old 01-18-13, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I understand there is no need in areas that don't get snow. We don't get a lot of snow and when we do, it usually doesn't stick around long. Since I've never seen these hanging chains before I assume they are just on select buses - those that have the mountain and holler routes. I'll keep my eye out anytime I get behind a bus to see if they are so equipped

Old 01-18-13, 07:02 AM
Pilot Dane - I don't understand. Did you leave a door open when you were putting them on? I grew up where everyone carried chains in the trunk. It was the era when all cars were rear wheel drive and chains got a lot of use. Now they're outlawed in a lot of areas.

I've never noticed chains hanging below buses in my area. That's probably because they never drive in hte snow here. Anything over 1/2" and the schools are closed. It's a neat device though.

Old 01-18-13, 09:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wayne!! I thought only us sissies down South were the only ones who closed school if the Weather Channel guy sneezed and implied the S word. I thought everyone above the North Carolina border were tough as nails in snow.

We can always compare your snow to our ice!! Ours looks like yours, and y'all laugh when you see a news account of slipping and sliding rednecks in pickup trucks in midtown. But ours is snow with 3" of ice on top of it. Looks pretty, but even yankees crumble to their knees when they encounter it. They just get motel rooms.

We were expecting snow yesterday about 1pm. One nearby NC school district delayed school opening until 11am. Duh. Delay for 3 hours only to be in school an hour until you had to release them to go home??? Not the brightest bulb in the pack for sure.

Old 01-18-13, 10:32 AM
When I lived in Charleston (Summerville actually) we got a record setting snowstorm, IIRC it was 17". If it hadn't been so dangerous it would have been hilarious.
I think I saw more fender benders in a 24 hour period than I've seen in all the years I've lived in New England. The lowcountry was shut down for nearly a week. Not only did people not have a clue, they had no snow treads and no snow removal equipment.

Old 01-18-13, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yesterday's snow fall varied quite a bit around here. We got 6" but it's melted/packed down to about 3" The bad thing is it will all refreeze again tonight. The surrounding counties got anywhere from 2"-12" It said on the news that 1 county had over 100 reports of traffic accidents. Another county was asking [last night] for no one to call 911 for traffic accidents unless it involved injuries, otherwise make the report the next day [today]

I walked to the mailbox today - wasn't sure how the jeep would fair with all the ice and I needed to remove limbs that had fallen. Overall except for the ice, my driveway doesn't seem to be too bad. While I like seeing snow every now again, I'm glad it rarely sticks around for long

Wayne, back in the mid 70's I lived in Ft Smith Ark. It snowed 2" one winter night and shut the town down They used the loaders on backhoes to clean the streets.

Old 01-18-13, 03:10 PM
We had 2-3 inches last night and today so at least the grass is covered but just barely. Pretty disappointing winter if you ask me. Now comes the cold for a few days.

Old 01-18-13, 03:28 PM
We still have 50% snow coverage in the back yard.

The last time I had chains on a car was in the 1960's and it was novelty to chug around once every few years.

Maybe I should get those automatic chains for my little Jimmy SUV, even though it has normal tires and have never used 4W low and use the 4W auto once a year to try it out. - We don't get much of the wet slippery stuff and little ice because of the sun when it is clear on the real cold days. We only get about 40" of snow a season with a historic high of about 95".

Dick

Old 01-18-13, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the video, that was interesting and I'm in snow country. Some trucks use sanders, but I haven't seen anything on the buses, although we don't really have many hills and the ones we do have get hit hard by the plows and sand trucks. My other half has to be into work in any conditions so when schools are closed and most activities canceled, the plow crews sit back and wait for the snow to end. The few of us that have to travel find the roads 6" deep or more and no plows in sight. Fortunately we have 4WD and not far to go.

We lost all snow to the last warm spell and just got 4" back, but this is the middle of Jan and nothing like we would expect.

Bud

Old 01-18-13, 08:37 PM
Oil trucks and buses,once you notice them you see them everywhere.

Old 01-19-13, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some school buses here in Washington have them. The school district I drive in can't afford them. Maybe once a school year some of our buses need to chain up.