Thumbhole

Old 01-18-13, 07:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbhole

With all the logic being dispensed from the Executive and Legislative branches lately on "assault" weapons, I have some observations.

1. I would never be involved in an "assault" with a semi automatic weapon, so why call them "assault" rifles? 3 shot burst or fully auto....that's assault.

2. I timed magazine changing the other day just to dispel or support what is being said. 7 shot mags/clips in a Colt Commander .45 cal. One in initial tube. 22 shots in 26 seconds. I'm old and slow.

3. From what I have read, it is the ominous appearance of the rifle that makes it an "assault" rifle. Case in point...Wooden stocked M14 versus AR15. Same basic action, different look.

4. What in the name of Sam Colt does a thumbhole in my stock do to make it an assault weapon???? The thumbhole on a high powered hunting rifle makes for less stress on the trigger hand, and helps to stabilize the rifle. Now, my cousin's Sako Finnbear .303 custom rifle with 5 shot clip/mag is an assault rifle.

5. Oh, wait, it takes 2 of these features to make it an assault rifle. So if he takes the blow back flash supressor off, he's cool. Same gun, with muzzle flash, same power, same number of shots.

6. I get it. Cosmetics makes "assault" weapons, not caliber, nor built in capacity. Go Diane, you're on a roll.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-13, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
My understanding is the term 'assault rifle' was originally meant to describe a long gun capable of firing in both semi and fully automatic modes. It currently is a very ambiguous term.

Old 01-18-13, 08:25 AM
Larry makes a good point. Unfortunately, the issue is being framed by the ignorant. Flash arrestors, pistol grips, folding butt stock, color, thumbholes! Yeah, those thumbholes are friggten' deadly. Maybe they think that if there is no flash arrestor on the barrel a victim might have time to duck.

Unfortunately, the NRA which could provide some balance to the argument has apparently decided instead just to pi** a lot of people off. They don't seem to realize that their gaffs are playing right into the hands of the anti gun crowd.

Old 01-18-13, 09:00 AM
I agree Wayne. I have been an Endowment Member for quite a while. I do not agree with ALL the stances they take on all issues. Only a fool would follow one line of thinking.

Background checks. NRA opposes them. I don't have a problem with them. I don't think they are infringing on anyone's RIGHT to keep and bear arms. If you aren't stable; if you have a felonious background; if you are not a citizen of the US (that's a big one), you don't have that RIGHT to the freedom. You relinquished it. Like Home Depot says....don't bother to apply.

I will never (hopefully) have the need for a 30 round magazine/clip. I am more of a "one shot, one kill" person. I do not, however, think the government of all entities should be the one to tell me I can't have one.

Old 01-18-13, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Most people tend to agree that the wording, exceptions and loopholes written into the original AWB are confusing and ambiguous at best and it even sometimes contradicts itself. That's quality legislation (not).

I think the NRA and Republican party are both in the same pot of trouble. They've sung far to the right pandering to a vocal few and have gone to the point they are starting to loose the masses in the middle. Both are at risk of loosing relevance as they slide further and further to one side and miss the conversation & debate going on in the center.

Old 01-18-13, 10:01 AM
"I am more of a "one shot, one kill" person."

You would have gotten along with my father. My first gun was a Stevens single shot .22. I was 8 years old. When we went rabbit or squirrel hunting I was only allowed to carry 4 rounds because 4 was the bag limit.

Old 01-18-13, 10:11 AM
Two of a kind, I'd say. You and I had the same upbringing. Same thing. Single shot JC Higgins .22 (probably the same gun). Enough rounds to bring in supper. No bag limit on a farm with "pests" such as squirrels or rabbits