The idiocy continues.

Old 01-22-13, 07:15 AM
The idiocy continues.

A five year old girl was suspended from school when she was overheard talking about shooting her friend at a school bus stop. She was talking about using a Hello Kitty soap bubble gun. She did not have the bubble gun with her.

The last sentence in the linked article is especially disturbing. Mom wants to transfer her daughter to another school, but that school won't take her because she has a record alleging terrorist threats.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
I get that the school needs to look into all potential threats but the suspension does seem ridiculous. Can you not say 'shoot' a picture anymore, either?

Old 01-22-13, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
No one says "shoot a picture" anyway....from what I seem to hear. Everyone says "take a photo"....which seems odd sounding to my old ears.

Think back....school picture day is now school photo day. I just looked at an old HS yearbook and a Navy cruisebook....both have "picture not available" for people they missed. My stepsons HS yearbook from 5 yrs ago says "photo not available". Strange. I guess pictures involved film cameras while photo covers everything?

Old 01-22-13, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I understand the need to have rules and regulations concerning drugs and student safety at school BUT the school administration seems to leave out any room for common sense.

In the last year or so I've read where one little girl was suspended because she gave her asthma inhaler to a classmate that had an asthma attack on the school bus and had forgotten his inhaler. Her suspension was for drugs In another instance a hurried mother accidentally left a butter knife in her daughter's lunch bucket. The little girl asked a teacher what to do about the knife and was suspended for bring a knife to school.

If the teachers and the principle aren't smart enough to tell the difference between an innocent or accidental act - maybe we need new people to run the schools.

Old 01-22-13, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
I seem to remember a few years back some elementary school kid being suspended for drawing a picture of a gun while at school.

Old 01-22-13, 12:29 PM
Apparently gun education isn't going to happen schools. I'll have to check to see if my local HS even has the rifle club anymore. Promoting a fear of guns is not a healthy way to raise a community and our educators need to ditch the hysteria and get a bit of education themselves. I wonder what the ROTC uses for their students?

Bud

Old 01-22-13, 02:10 PM
I agree the schools are going kind of crazy from everything I have read. Of course some of it is understandable to a degree in light of some of the really bad violence that has been going on but other things are downright idiotic. Like the stories just recently of two little boys who were suspended from different school systems because they pretended they had a gun and were shooting someone. What should have happened is the boys should have been set aside and talked to by the teachers and said we don't do things like that here and then a nice note sent to the parents asking them to please speak to their children about appropriate games. What the whole world quite frankly needs is a good dose of common sense.

Old 01-22-13, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
There is no more common sense here......we outsourced it to overseas.

Old 01-22-13, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So that's where it went hope the ship didn't sink, it might be lost forever

Old 01-22-13, 09:37 PM
A five year old girl was suspended from school when she was overheard talking about shooting her friend at a school bus stop. She was talking about using a Hello Kitty soap bubble gun. She did not have the bubble gun with her.

The last sentence in the linked article is especially disturbing. Mom wants to transfer her daughter to another school, but that school won't take her because she has a record alleging terrorist threats.
This happened right near me, I wonder why I'm first hearing about this now. But, this is how schools are here. You get suspended for even talking about hunting.

Old 01-22-13, 10:13 PM
Wow things sure have changed but then in some schools there has been more violence than when I was in school. It used to be when I was in high school guys would bring knives to school and would just keep them on their belt. It was just a status symbol though and nobody ever took their knife out. Oh occasionally someone might remark about another guys knife but nothing much would happen beyond that. The teachers back then also were not concerned with the knives in schools. It says something though about movies and violent shows with lack of parental supervision.

Old 01-23-13, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We often hunted small game in the early morning hours, stored our guns in our cars or trucks and made it to school on time. Put game in old metal Coleman ice chests, got ice from the cafeteria and put the coolers in the shade. I don't remember ever locking my car door, either.

Times probably never to be revisited.....sigh.

Old 01-23-13, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It used to be when I was in high school guys would bring knives to school and would just keep them on their belt
Back when I was in grade school all the boys carried pocket knifes. Often we would play with them during recess. If a boy didn't have a knife, he was pretty much ostracized and sent to be with the girls at the other end of the playground. Now, when I go to get my grandson at school I'm a law breaker because I carry a knife in my pocket.

Old 01-23-13, 07:07 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, we all carried knives when we were kids, there's one in my pocket right now - it's a tool and it gets used often.

I wonder sometimes if someone is going to say something when I take it out at my daughter's school to cut something.

Old 01-23-13, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's the problem - most of us consider our knifes to be a tool but the bad guys and some of the liberals consider it a weapon

Old 01-23-13, 10:26 AM
That just gets back to the old issue, it's not the weapon, it's the person using it. I lightened my load a few years ago and traded my multi-tool for a slim box cutter. I can't take out screws, but it opens boxes and cuts string and such. But OMG, he has a box cutter, since some idiots used then for the hijackings. Maybe "multi-tool just sounds less like a knife.

Bud

Old 01-23-13, 02:11 PM
Back in the days when I was in high school I never even had a knife but liked the ones that I did see. My father had a knife and I guess I still have his around here somewhere. Occasionally I would borrow his knife even outside of our house and no one ever said anything. Now I have a whole collection of knives some that were given to me with a magazine subscription and others I obtained as gifts and bought a few. Two of my best free gifts were my multi tool knives with the long nose pliers. One of the multi tools I received from the Handyman Club Of America and the other was while I was looking for free give a ways on the internet. I usually just keep them at home but if our car breaks down they can be handy to fix things.

Old 01-23-13, 02:22 PM
Every year it seems, Pella windows sends me little gifts to entice me to become an "authorized" installer. I like my independence too much. Coasters, flashlight, money clip and a super great spring loaded multitool. I keep one in each car's console, just for that moment.

Old 01-23-13, 04:05 PM
It is the "zero tolerance" policies that are the problem here. I may be wrong, but I think they started back in the 80's, perhaps early 90's in an effort to combat drugs in school. They seem to be extending this policy to everything else. It is the dumbest set of rules one can imagine. No five year old should be suspended for any of this dumb garbage. But the school boards have removed the principal's ability to make those calls. It's one size fits all and everyone suffers. It does nothing to solve the problems at hand either.

I've had a pocket knife since I was 12 and I still use it almost every day. Unfortunately, I didn't know I could bring it to HS until the principal said she wasn't able to allow pen knives in school anymore. I would have brought it with me everyday had I known better.

Old 01-23-13, 07:20 PM
I agree drooplug those zero tolerance laws have gone completely wrong. They certainly need to keep weapons and drugs out of schools but there are much better ways too to handle things. An example of that was a recent case I heard about with a boy who had penicillin in his back pack. Apparently the boy had a need for penicillin during a vacation for what now I don't remember but he had taken it until whatever infection he had was gone and his parents and the boy forgot about it.

Apparently the medication fell out of the boys bag and he was immediately suspended and sent home. His suspension was originally if memory serves me right for a week and then on appeal they reduced it to only one day. Certainly the boy shouldn't have had the medication in his backpack but I personally don't believe they should have suspended him even for one day as it was a mistake. They even had their doctors support as he said he had written a prescription for the boy. To this day though I don't think they removed the suspension from the boys record like the parents wanted.

Old 01-24-13, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with zero tolerance for certain offenders - the ones that bring illicit drugs to the school or a real weapon BUT it shouldn't apply to accidental or minor offenses. PJ stated we outsourced our common sense oversees, is there anyway we can get it back?

Old 01-24-13, 03:41 AM
Richard, the point ricocheted.
need to keep weapons and drugs out of schools
It isn't the instrument that causes the problem. This is the entire premise of the discourse. We need to keep the drug DEALERS away and CRAZY PEOPLE with instruments of destruction, including guns from our schools. Even if you arm one or two teachers in the school, the goofball with the gun won't know which two, and may think twice. Kids become "dealers" when they offer drugs to their classmates, IMO.

Old 01-24-13, 02:34 PM
I agree Larry it isn't the instrument that causes the problem. The real problem as I see it is dumb zero tolerance rules and lack of school security. I am with the NRA when they say we should have security guards in our schools and that means more police presence. When I went to my high school they had someone they called a vice principal but every one knew otherwise as he was actually in charge of security. I found that out once when I was called to his office once and he asked me some questions about another student and whether I remembered seeing him somewhere. I couldn't remember and I left after saying so.

Some school systems still have that fake vice principal who is actually in charge of security and others don't. I also remember too that this guy was tough back in the day and if he heard about drugs being distributed everyone stayed in their class until a K-9 unit was dispatched and every locker was sniffed for drugs. I personally never heard about any arrests the one and only time they did that while I was there but that is precisely the type of security I am talking about the no nonsense type with armed trained police officers. To this date there was only one shooting in the area and that was on the edge of the school grounds years after I graduated there.