Private gun registration

Old 01-22-13, 10:20 AM
Private gun registration

First, I oppose registering my guns. But, when it becomes mandatory, what about a private organization handling the data with all of the necessary protections and restrictions. A ton of details would need to be worked out, but handing my information over to a trusted organization (you know who I have in mind) as opposed to our government would be a whole lot less painful and maybe help me stay out of trouble.

As a side note, there was a burglary on my tiny rural street yesterday, they cleaned out the house. Early information says they caught the guy, but it really emphasizes the importance of being able to protect one's home and family and pets, sorry the pets are ultra important to me. I will be talking to the chief about a neighborhood watch.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless I'm mistaken, both my rifle and revolver were registered at the time of purchase..... but one was purchased in the 60's and the other in the 70's. I'd be a little surprised if those records still exist

Old 01-22-13, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whasa matter Bud, you don't trust the gumment to take care of registration of your guns?? It'll be a cold day

Old 01-22-13, 04:05 PM
Larry--Yes Mr Heston I hear you! And NO!
Marksr, my bet would be they still have all of those records. Gun dealers are required to maintain them for some length of time, maybe as long as they are in business, and then turn those records over when they close. I know they are not supposed to be collecting this information, but not only do I not trust what they would do with the information, I don't trust that they could keep it from Wikileak-ing out.

I just wanted to plant the alternative in peoples minds that if registration were to be required, someone other than our gov should handle it.

As for my legacy guns, I would rather see them buried than registered.

Bud

Old 01-22-13, 04:26 PM
Of course none of my legacy guns are tied to me, but also none of my other ones are either, so there is no paper trail anywhere. Nor will there ever be. They were bought legally and I had a friend who, at that time, could check NCIC for serial numbers. Made sure they were clean. Have had most of mine for at least 30 years.

Old 01-22-13, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
I would suggest the NRA should be on ones to handle the info.

Old 01-22-13, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
I dunno....maybe the people that kept the Clintons records when they were lawyers? Didn't those seem to just disappear?

Old 01-22-13, 06:40 PM
Really? You think a private company is better suited than the government to not abuse a database of information? That's all that private companies do.

Old 01-23-13, 04:10 AM
Yeah, droo, but the government has it down as an art form. It would be a toss up.......the NRA or MSNBC.

Old 01-23-13, 02:32 PM
We had guns at one time one was my grandmothers and the other my father bought for protection but both of them we disposed of legally by giving them to someone we knew was a police officer and was family but not closely related. If we still had those guns and wanted to sell them then I would be in favor of going to a gun shop to sell them. I would do that especially if I didn't know the person well as I wouldn't want a gun to haunt me later on if a crime was committed. Both guns after all were registered and if the serial number was not removed or could be recovered then I would be very concerned.

I agree though guns are not properly handled though and even the government has a tough time keeping track of guns that are seized during a crime. A few years ago I think in Washington D.C. but I am not sure I heard about police officers stealing seized guns that were supposed to be destroyed. Then selling them back to criminal on the street. Of course as you know they were caught but, it makes you wonder what will happen to confidential records if they ever do come to the point of a gun census for lack of a better word. So something needs to be done to keep criminals from getting guns but what exactly I don't know.

Old 01-23-13, 02:38 PM
the government has a tough time keeping track of guns that are seized during a crime
The government couldn't keep track of it's own butt with both hands duct taped back there, so that is no surprise

Old 01-23-13, 03:56 PM
Yeah, droo, but the government has it down as an art form. It would be a toss up.......the NRA or MSNBC.
Really? Like which? They usually go and exploit databases kept by private companies not their own. Why do the work yourself when you can get someone else to do it for you?

Old 01-23-13, 06:55 PM
Agreed Larry especially with the government in Washington D.C.. They are getting better about things but there is still a great deal of corruption there. I think in all fairness to their present chief of police they are doing better in handling crime and illegal guns now too. fighting crime in D.C. though isn't easy and I wouldn't want to be the chief of police there.