Anything Private Anymore

Old 01-23-13, 07:42 AM
Anything Private Anymore

Our governor here in Maine expressed extreme dissatisfaction when the other party hires a stalker to follow him everywhere and capture any and all flubs. I can't imagine why that would upset anyone .

Then there is this short article on the first lady rolling her eyes at a Boehner comment. Curious I pulled up the article and it seems it is based upon what a professional lip reader could interpret from a conversation he had no business listening to.
Boehner Smoking Joke Triggered First Lady Eye Roll

Where should we draw the line on privacy, even when it is a politician of either party?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-13, 08:03 AM
Pretty interesting question Bud. Everyone wants to know about stuff when it becomes important and something bad or unethical is uncovered, but everyone wants privacy for everyone when it just becomes stalking and the media presenting trivial occasions like the one mentioned.

If the lip reader had determined that Boehner had asked your president if he had managed to cover up something illegal or profound everyone would want to know. But how does one predict this prior to observing the activity. I have no idea.

From a media standpoint, this question is also connected to the story about that photographer that was killed recently taking a picture of Justin Bieber's Ferrari when he wasn't even in it. The pressure is always on these guys to get a big shot that could be worth thousands, if not millions of dollars at any cost.

Are they collecting information we want to know about? It appears so.. It's kind of supply and demand. If people didn't want to see it, they wouldn't be publicizing it.

Old 01-23-13, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
I think this kind of stuff is the same as the war on drugs - you can't win, you can't stop it until there is no longer a market for the product. This stuff is out there because people want to see it.

Doesn't say much about our society, IMO

Old 01-23-13, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Doesn't say much about our society
Sad, but so true
Personally I don't understand all the interest - do they not have enough going on in their own lives?

Old 01-23-13, 10:19 AM
It seems inconsistent that our law enforcement can't do this and can't do that, when the press can do about anything and claim freedom of the press. Maybe we should get all of our police officers a press card.

wildbill, As for justifying all of this snooping by saying there are times when what they find is important, I think that is a Pandora's box and one we should review carefully. I can agree that our government needs to be able to collect information to prevent future terrorist attacks, but I don't think the press should be entitled to anything close to that authority. Investigative reporting is not a substitute for law enforcement.

No one, including a political organization or reporter, has the right to hire a stalker to follow me or you or anyone 24/7. If such surveillance is needed it should be for cause and authorized by a court or judge, just like a search warrant. You would have thought the Princess Diana episode would have taught the press something, but they went right back at it immediately thereafter. Maybe we should make it a law that the press cannot pay for information.

Bud

Old 01-23-13, 11:57 AM
Couldn't agree more Bud. Right to privacy is an incredibly complicated and convoluted discussion point. Private detectives following spouses, photographers sleeping outside celebs homes. I honestly don't think the Princess Diana thing slowed them down one single bit.

Not long after that photographer got killed in the Beiber incident, I read an interview with a different paparazzi guy who said stuff like that or close calls are very common. The guy being interviewed had almost been run over by several buses and even transport trucks in his career.

Funnier still is that shows like TMZ are amongst the most popular on tv... It is pretty sad.

Old 01-23-13, 04:08 PM
How about the news shouldn't be wasting their time over nothing. This story should be food for the tabloids and entrainment shows. But for the so called news networks, really? This beats out all the other important stuff going on?