icy roads

Old 01-25-13, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
icy roads

I don't know how the rest of you are fairing today but we are in the middle of an ice storm. It was supposed to start out as sleet and then turn to snow. You can get traction on snow. Had a bunch of errands to run today and was a little leery of the ice. Made it down my driveway without too much trouble but on a secondary road about 7 miles from my house the road got really bad. I've owned my new jeep for 3 yrs and found out today that it has an idiot light to let you know if the rear end steps out. What kind of idiot needs a light to tell him the vehicle is sliding??

Driving conditions weren't too bad once I got on the main roads but when I got back home 4 wheel drive and traction control got me up my driveway but once I got to the top and got out of the jeep - I could barely stand on my feet. Fortunately I have a pair of boots that have 'snow chains' Had to put them on before I could bring the groceries in

Hope y'all are either having better weather or get to stay at home

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-13, 12:44 PM
Just be careful where you park.
A lot of folks with automatics don't realize that when you put it in park and let off the brakes, it's only the two drive wheels holding the vehicle in place (instead of the 4 wheels when the brake is applied).
My wife nearly put the van in the ditch at a friend's place when she put the van in park and got out. The van (with the front wheels locked in park) started to slide as there wasn't enough traction in the front to hold it in place.
Your jeep would probably be only the back wheels holding if it's an automatic.

Old 01-25-13, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's an automatic but all 4 wheels should hold while it's in park AND the transfer case is still engaged. Years ago I was working out of another jeep because conditions were too bad for my work van. I had no trouble getting to the job but when I got out and shut the door - the jeep slid sideways right into the ditch and in between 2 trees. Fortunately there was a back hoe on the job to help me get back onto the road.

Old 01-25-13, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
It's an automatic but all 4 wheels should hold while it's in park AND the transfer case is still engaged. Years ago I was working out of another jeep because conditions were too bad for my work van. I had no trouble getting to the job but when I got out and shut the door - the jeep slid sideways right into the ditch and in between 2 trees. Fortunately there was a back hoe on the job to help me get back onto the road.
I believe this is correct. Now if it was an AWD (i.e. 2 wheel drive until slippage), then it would be the same as a 2 wheel drive when parked (2 wheels holding only).

Old 01-25-13, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that's why I bought a jeep wrangler - they're one of the few real 4x4s still being made! I was really surprised that jeep has front wheel drive only vehicles and single speed transfer cases in many of their jeeps.

Old 01-25-13, 01:40 PM
Conditions are kind of bad in Maryland but not with a great deal of ice however what snow we are getting will turn into ice. Marksr are you near Maryville TN? I ask because I have friends who have a small farm part of which they sublet. I know conditions can get bad there so if you know anything about the area I would appreciate the info. I imagine I will get an e-mail from him letting me know how him and his wife are but probably not for a while. Thank you for any information you have!

Old 01-25-13, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maryville is 100+ miles southwest from me. Knoxville is just north of Maryville and they were supposed to get the same storm but earlier. I haven't heard anything as to the current conditions there.

I'm still waiting for last week's snow storm to finish melting...... maybe next week.

Old 01-25-13, 03:30 PM
Thanks marksr that gives me some idea at least of what they are going through. As to up here well it was still snowing the last time I looked out of the window through and upstairs bedroom next to a spotlight we have. I heard we are going to have a weather alert until 9 p.m.. Not sure when the snow will stop but it sure stops me from going anywhere this weekend anyway. Nice too look at if I didn't have to go out and shovel it. Seems like I have heard you guys further south have had more snow and rain than up further north.

Old 01-26-13, 05:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Everyone laughs at us southerners who can't "handle" winter weather while driving. C'mon down and experience 1/4" of ice on the roads. Snow is sissy stuff.

Wife put down dog's bowl with food in it and gave it a slight push so he could get it. Thing slid 14' and off the edge of the deck. Don't know why the dog likes to go outside in inclement weather.

Mark, we just stayed inside all day. Mail will be there when I get ready to go down. Got enough groceries in cabinets to last a month (as does everyone who flocks to the grocery store before a storm), home made chili and fritos........good life.

Old 01-26-13, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Biggest thing about you southern states is you are not equipped to handle the snow/ice because you do not see it that often. Right now in Minnesota the roads are literately white with salt. Anything that falls will not stick for easy removal.

Funny thing the other day, I was servicing a commercial roof top unit disconnect and it was -10F. I was wearing my bibs, boots, and jacket. Sun was shining and there was very little wind. I thought to myself, "This isn't bad at all".

Old 01-26-13, 06:20 AM
C'mon down and experience 1/4" of ice on the roads. Snow is sissy stuff.

So you think the roads up north don't get any ice? It really bothers me to think of all my tax money that goes to road deicing is being wasted.

The last couple of years the state has been using a liquid deicer instead of the old salt and sand stuff. It seems to work faster and last longer on the road surface.

Old 01-26-13, 06:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our local road dept converts their pickups and dump trucks into snow plows and salt spreaders. When conditions are right, they spray a liquid on the road prior to the expected snow fall. Salt mixed with sand or chat is spread after the snow fall has started. I live on a one lane dead end road and it rarely gets plowed or salted

I would hope I never experience -10F and think it's not bad

Old 01-26-13, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Odd, you would mention liquid. Over in NC, they "pre treat" the roads prior to a pending storm with a liquid. I'm still getting a "wink-wink" on that one, but maybe it works.

The short road (100') that leads to our driveways is a private drive, but is county maintained. Found out the guy who actually owns it knows something on someone in the road department, so we get regular maintenance on it.

Old 01-26-13, 09:08 AM
Tolyn is right about the ability to get around "up north". Where I am we had a high of about 14F and when I drive to the doctor at 10:00 AM, the roads were bsolutely clear with little signs of salt on the major streets and freeways. At 10:00AM, it was 4F and the little bit of lice on the shoulders was melting/transpirating (dispersing without melting) because of the sun. In the real winter, we get dry snow from the NW followed by clear cold skies and the sun does wonders.

Unfortunately, south of us by 75 to 150 miles, the snow com comes from the SW and is wetter and dumps on WI so there is a difference. Dry snow is a piece of cake to drive on/through and if we see lice, we put a wheel into the smow for traction.

So far I have put both SUVs into 4 wheel high, 4 wheel low and auto 4 wheel just to check them out. So far mine has never been in auto 4 wheel, but I think may have put hers into is once or twice.

I feel sorry for those with ice problems that we do see very early or late in the winter/early spring.

"Dry snow" is like "dry heat" with no humidity. The only problem is that is can blow around and we do get "snirt" from NDak, which is light snow and dirt blown away toward us.

Dick

Old 01-26-13, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
That "liquid" they're treating the roads with is brine. Mostly from pickling. Last night I read that beet juice works good too.

Old 01-26-13, 12:35 PM
Some areas do use a liquid that is vegetable (beets?) based. - It all depends on the cost and timing of application. The beet juice does work if applied at the right temperatures and does not leave a rusty mess. It makes it easy to plow bare roads very quickly since the snow seems to come off in large thin slabs at 55 mph. We have not seen much of it lately because our snows have not been much and are usually predictable like a train from the NW on rails with a time table. Here it is called an "Alberta Clipper" and is 2" to 4" (depending on how far away from the track) of dry snow followed by cold and clear skies that are not affected by open water (Great Lakes, coasts, etc.).

The Great Lakes and the areas near water or the south will always be a problem for snow. The poor people in the UP of MI and lower MI get the moisture picked up over Lake Michigan if not frozen or Lake Superior that creates its own weather and very rarely freezse because of the thermal inertia of the 1500' depth. the warmer lakes (Michigan, Huron and Erie have a lot of moisture to be dumped south and east in the form of snow combined with the southern moisture.

It is always fun to try to out-guess Mother Nature.

Old 01-26-13, 06:48 PM
if we see lice
Ok. I thought it was a typo at first, but you said it twice. What do you mean by lice?

Quite often they will douse the roads around here in salt right before the snow starts to fall. That gets the first few inches of snow to melt so the roads don't slick. Especially if it is going to occur at rush hour. It works well as long as the time it right. Right now, our roads have so much salt on them you could set land speed records.

Old 01-26-13, 06:57 PM
The main roads here are white with about 1/2'' of salt on them, while the backroads have tons of compacted snow.

Old 01-26-13, 09:48 PM
So far here in Maryland we have had just a little bit of dry snow the two times we did have snow. Been kind of cold for the last few days in the twenties but otherwise not too bad if you don't stay out in it long. I like that idea of chili and Doritos Larry it reminds me I haven't made and chili in a while. I always think the home made type is better but Hormel chili isn't bad either. Luckily I was able to sweep most of it away and use hot water but I did buy a new shovel so I am prepared.

Old 01-27-13, 06:44 AM
" . . . home made chili and fritos.."

Larry, The next time you whip up a pot of chili save some for "redneck nachos".

I buy Doritos "Artisan Recipe Black bean and Garlic" tortilla chips, spread them out in a thick layer on a baking sheet, add a layer of chili on top and cover it with chopped onions and shredded cheddar. Pop it in the oven until the cheese melts and enjoy.

Old 01-27-13, 07:05 AM
Found out the guy who actually owns it knows something on someone in the road department, so we get regular maintenance on it.

My grandpa found a pint of spirits for the crew saved him a lot of shoveling for his long driveway.

Old 01-27-13, 10:29 AM
We're on the tail end of the first Alberta Clipper we've had in a couple of years. Fast moving with crisp, dry and clear cold air and usually just a little snow.
In my neighborhood we dread the Nor'Easter. Especially when an Alberta Clipper gets stalled and fed warm moist air by a low sitting off the coast. High winds, chilling damp cold, and a ton of wet heavy snow.