So You Want To Rent A Computer

Old 01-29-13, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
So You Want To Rent A Computer

If your thinking of renting a computer you may want to read this first. Rent-to-Own Laptops Secretly Photographed Users Having Sex, FTC Says | Threat Level | Wired.com

Last edited by ray2047; 01-29-13 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-13, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow, sort of like the photocopier industry. Every photocopier has a hard drive and stores the images copied from it....forever. Never thought about that. Use a public copier to copy your tax returns or medical information, and bam, someone can retrieve it.

Old 01-29-13, 07:42 AM
I am not sure how this doesn't fall under one of the many laws against stealing personal information. The only way I can see it slipping by is the fact the computers are rentals, and owned by the company and not the user using it.

Originally Posted by chandler
Wow, sort of like the photocopier industry. Every photocopier has a hard drive and stores the images copied from it....forever. Never thought about that. Use a public copier to copy your tax returns or medical information, and bam, someone can retrieve it.
That would imply that there was someone that knew how to access the data on the drives outside the couple guys in the dev group at the manufacture. I could pretty much guarentee the repair guy doesn't have the ability to access that data.

Old 01-29-13, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a similar situation brought to light earlier. Did school use laptops to spy on students? Feds won't press charges. - CSMonitor.com

Old 01-29-13, 12:37 PM
I remember when that one happen Ray.
The big difference between then is it some level of privacy would be expected if I'm paying money to take the computer home for personal use. A school computer is no different then my work computer. The equipment still belongs to the school or business.
I guess the same could be said about the rental laptop.

Old 01-29-13, 05:02 PM
A school computer is no different then my work computer. The equipment still belongs to the school or business.
I guess the same could be said about the rental laptop.
I gotta disagree here. Sure, anything on the laptop is fair game. Using the laptops camera to peer into someone's home without their knowledge to spy is a whole different ball game.

Old 01-29-13, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
I see a new name coming for that computer rental company:

FLY ON THE WALL RENTALS

Old 01-30-13, 12:04 AM
I never have rented a computer but I certainly have bought my share of used computers. Some people can be so dumb when they sell or give away a computer to a charity to sell. I remember I went to a church sale and someone had left Turbo Tax on their computer. The computer was fairly old so I guess they forgot all about it but they really should have used some common sense and wiped the hard drive. Luckily for them I am an honest person because if I wasn't I could have taken advantage of them. I also forgot who they were now so I couldn't even tell you their names if I wanted to. When I took possession of the computer I wiped the drive a couple of times so no one will ever steal their identity. Makes you wonder about people though.

Old 01-30-13, 04:48 AM
I'm supprised that a lot of these folks left the stuff installed on the computers. I know myself, when I buy a new computer, the first thing I do is remove all the crap that comes pre-installed (mostly demo crap I don't want). If it's really bad, I'll simply re-image it from scratch.
Maybe they really burried the spyware into the systems.
Interestingly enough, do we not have anti-virus laws in the US? This would probably fall under that type of ruling.

I gotta disagree here. Sure, anything on the laptop is fair game. Using the laptops camera to peer into someone's home without their knowledge to spy is a whole different ball game.
True.
The webcam usage should fall under some sort of trustpassing law (donno what exactly).

I never have rented a computer but I certainly have bought my share of used computers. Some people can be so dumb when they sell or give away a computer to a charity to sell. I remember I went to a church sale and someone had left Turbo Tax on their computer. The computer was fairly old so I guess they forgot all about it but they really should have used some common sense and wiped the hard drive. Luckily for them I am an honest person because if I wasn't I could have taken advantage of them. I also forgot who they were now so I couldn't even tell you their names if I wanted to. When I took possession of the computer I wiped the drive a couple of times so no one will ever steal their identity. Makes you wonder about people though.
I've seen way too much of this as well.
If I'm giving the computer away to someone I don't know or trust, I'll either wipe the harddrive or simply remove the hdd. If you really want to make things tough, adjust the partition table so the partitions are not the same as what it was when you had it.
If it's someone I know, a good low level format and reinstall should do the trick. Most folks aren't going to go through the time, effort and money to aquire the useless info I've had on my computer.