What's up with the weather?

Old 01-29-13, 02:24 PM
What's up with the weather?

Not sure what I can say about our weather here. Last week we where dealing with -35 to -45'C weather. This week, plus temps (above freezing) and now a rain fall warning.

They are calling for 30-50mm of rain over night on top of the 6-8" of snow we got over the Sunday and Monday.

I'm not really sure if there is anything I can do to help reduce the mess we're going to have in the yard and driveway. I've dug out the down spouts and made sure they are clear. Left a bit of a snow bank in front of the garage bay door, and ran a trench from the lowest part of the driveway to the back yard with the snow shove. Hopefully that will reduce the amount of standing water in the drivewy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-13, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Today's the first day my driveway has been snow and ice free in 2-3 of weeks. Finally was able to get my tractor down to the bottom and regrade where the rain that preceded the snow washed it out..... and it's supposed to rain again tomorrow with snow coming again towards the end of the week

Old 01-29-13, 02:32 PM
It's been a bad year here if you are a snowmobiler.
We've gotten a good dumping, it last a week or so, then rain and plus temps. Got decent amount a snow the past two days, now we're looking a flooding type rain to come along.

I think I may be working from home tomorrow. Maybe within sight of my sump pit. If tonight and tomorrow are not ideal flooding conditions, I don't know what is.

Old 01-29-13, 02:33 PM
Ya, we are supposed to get rain, but I haven't paid attention to how much. Not much snow hanging around, but good that all of the ice issues are clear for now. When we get a couple of inches of rain on top of 3' of snow on the roof, things start to fall down.

Once this passes I guess we are back in the ice box, to be followed by another warm spell. Wild.

Bud

Old 01-29-13, 03:21 PM
The south is rising again and sending the warmth and moisture up to ruin a good winter.

Dick

Old 01-29-13, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You betcha, Dick! 64 degrees today in heaven. We'll pay for it, though. Just a matter of time.

Old 01-29-13, 04:59 PM
It's going to be about 60F here tomorrow. I don't get the people that get all happy when we get spring weather in winter. It's all wrong! Can't you idiots take a hint? This isn't something to be happy about! Last year we had a very mild winter. Then we went straight into heat waves for the whole spring and summer. No thanks!

Old 01-29-13, 05:06 PM
It's plus 3'C here now. They are saying up to 50mm of rain now over night. Going to be a mess here tomorrow.

Old 01-29-13, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
I'm with you Drooplug.

Certainly makes for an interesting mess installing generators. Nothing better then digging outside in the mud and then having to go inside a customers house

Old 01-30-13, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We hit 70 degrees yesterday but it's supposed to be down in the teens before the week is out

PJ, I remember a cold wet winter day that I had worked outside and then had an appointment to bid some interior work. I left my muddy boots on the porch and going thru the house came to the bath rm with the in the floor heat under the tile - I didn't want to leave

Old 01-30-13, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator

Today
Partly Cloudy / Wind
Hi 84F
LO 60F
Chance of rain: 10%
Wind: SSE at 22 mph

Thu Jan 31
Mostly Sunny
Hi 70
Lo 41
Chance of rain: 10%
Wind: NNW at 15 mph

Fri Feb 1
Mostly Sunny
Hi 72
Lo 43
Chance of rain: 0%
Wind: N at 14 mph

Sat Feb 2
Sunny
Hi 75
Lo 49
Wind: NNE at 9 mph

Sun Feb 3
Sunny
Hi 76
Lo 49
Wind: N at 9 mph

Old 01-30-13, 05:10 AM
It's been an almost standard winter here other than the last week. Last year was weird. I shoveled my lane way twice. All winter. We live in the 'snow belt' of Ontario off Lake Huron.

This year we've had a few bouts of snow, but then about two weeks ago we got over a foot in one day. It kept piling up. A few days ago the temp soared and it started raining. Had to shovel the roof off so the house didn't collapse.

Had a thunderstorm last night. Dogs freaking out. A lake in the backyard, amongst piles of poop.

Over the next day or so, the temp is supposed to drop about 20 degrees and everything's going to freeze up again. Great.

Old 01-30-13, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 6" snow fall we had a few weeks ago was kind of weird. I kept seeing light flashes in the sky, the weatherman confirmed it was lightning although I never did hear any thunder.

TG, rub it in all you want - I still haven't forgotten those extra muggy summer days that fla gets on a regular basis

Old 01-30-13, 05:44 AM
wildbill7145,
You're a bit South East of myself (French River area).
We just missed the thunder storms you folks got. Lucky for us, the snow belt just misses us.

It's raining pretty good here now. Sump pump is running pretty regularly now. Minor mistake on my behalf... The down spout for the porch gutters exits just above grade. It's packed tight with ice from our freeze last week, so the water is overflowing the gutters and is being picked up by the weeping tiles and sump pump. Will need to resolve this issue once spring hits

Old 01-30-13, 05:57 AM
Why is it you only think about things like gutters and downspouts during a rain storm???? That's me. Sitting here knowing we are about to be hit by a string of storms and watching water overflow in the middle of the gutter right on my grill. Makes a good racket. I need new gutters, bigger, and downspouts, bigger, and I know that. Tomorrow with the sunshine, I won't think about it.

I'll call my gutter guy and set up an appointment for new ones some day. Maybe when one falls off the house

Old 01-30-13, 06:05 AM
You're absolutely correct Chandler. Our current gutters are the tiny vinyl ones. They're literally falling apart everywhere. The downspouts are disconnected everywhere. The whole system is a mess. Every winter I see water coming out of them all over the place and promise myself that this summer will be the year I get them replaced. Then summer comes, it's nice and sunny and dry and I find all sorts of other things to worry about.

Speaking of which, hoping to get the gables, facia, etc. wrapped in aluminum siding at some point. It's currently painted wood which is failing in a few locations. I assume it would be prudent to wait to get the gutters, etc. replaced after the aluminum was done? I can't see pulling it, then replacing it being an incredibly smart idea.

Old 01-30-13, 07:29 AM

Opened the garage door this morning and within a few minutes everything was dripping wet inside.....all my tools.....the riding mower.....etc etc

The air is so warm and humid it's condensing on everything that is still freezing cold in the garage.....was near zero fahrenheit last week....supposed to be 60 degrees today.....big freeze again by Friday....

Pouring rain.....yard is flooded.....ground is frozen and can't absorb any water.

Old 01-30-13, 07:34 AM
I've been pretty good at addressing mine where I can, given the budget I have to play with. I just never got to thinking that the down spouts would be frozen solid and then heavy rain.
It does however give me a good idea of the areas I need to improve.

A bit of a side to my issues, the previous owner of this house opted for plastic gutters and downspout on the porch (and not enough gutters). I can't even hit the down spout with the propane torch to help get it moving with it being plastic. The downspouts for the house are all alluminum, so I can carefully address them with the torch.

Old 01-30-13, 07:55 AM
We need some snow up here, maybe 6-8" on the ground.

Old 01-30-13, 08:06 AM
This is pretty weird, we went from not breaking the teens during the day to in the 50's and rain. There goes playing football on the lake.

Old 01-30-13, 08:27 AM
Mike, do you think a hair dryer might possibly help thaw the ice in your vinyl downspouts without damaging them -- too much?

Old 01-30-13, 09:08 AM
I don't think it would damage it, but I don't know if it would really be effective either.
A heat gun would be more effective, but I don't own one.
Will take a closer look when I'm on break from training.

Old 01-30-13, 03:46 PM
Weather..........rained all day today, some rather hard. Few tornadoes around. I was in the supermarket when my phone went off with a tornado warning at the same time the store's alarm went off. Our creek is at flood stage across the road.

I posted this elsewhere, but ever the optimist when the power went off today, I was sure the POCO would have it on in an hour like usual. 5 hours later, getting dark, I go out and fire up the generator, just to have the power come on 30 minutes after that, so go figure.

Old 01-30-13, 05:38 PM
I can't even hit the down spout with the propane torch to help get it moving with it being plastic.
Ever think about dumping a pile of salt in the top? The say to break an ice dam, you fill some panty hose with slat and throw it across. IT will slowly melt a route through the dam to let the water flow out.

Old 01-31-13, 07:05 AM
Damn chandler, you got it much worse then us here.

drooplug,
I should have thought about doing that. Would have worked with the temp being so warm. We're now back to -20'C here now, so it won't work anymore. Salt is only effective to about -10'C, then it's useless.

As a bit of an update, we didn't get the 50mm of rain and then the 20cm of snow they called for. We probably only got about 20mm of rain and maybe half the snow they called for. Roads look fine, but I'm working from home anyway (got up too late to drive into work, but on time to work from home.

Old 02-01-13, 06:13 PM
I should have thought about doing that. Would have worked with the temp being so warm. We're now back to -20'C here now, so it won't work anymore. Salt is only effective to about -10'C, then it's useless.
That would be for sodium chloride. They do offer other types of salt that work in colder temps. You should see what is available at the local hardware stores.

Took a quick look online and magnesium chloride is good to about -26C.

Old 02-02-13, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Had to put up with some Gulf-effect sunshine today; it was brutal.

Old 02-03-13, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It was 70 degrees here earlier last week, yesterday's high was 28 F ...... and 5" of snow

Old 02-03-13, 05:54 AM
Yesterday, I got 4 inches of snow on my van while I was grocery shopping. That took about 20 minutes.

Old 02-03-13, 11:02 AM
We only got about 3" of snow, but it was falling fast. I left a neighboring town and it was really coming down, to the extent the mountain gap we have to transverse to get to our valley was almost at a standstill with flatlanders with 2wd. Hope they made it. Roads ice up here much more quickly even with snowfall. Temps hover too close to freezing, then it snows, then it gets cold.

Old 02-04-13, 06:29 AM
We're back to seasonal weather here now.
Hopefully that will be it for the rain until it's needed for the grass.

Old 02-04-13, 06:43 AM
-24.9 F this morning. Enough already.

Old 02-06-13, 04:46 PM
Well the local weather guessers are all in a dither here. On 3 TV channels I saw predictions ranging from 8"-36" for this weekend.

I swear those guys get aroused over bad weather. It gives them a chance to roll up their sleeves, loosen the tie and tell us all how they are looking out for us.

Or maybe it's just the extra face time they get.

I'm off for generator gas, Coleman fuel and groceries tomorrow.

Old 02-06-13, 06:31 PM
Baldwin -

You must be north of me, since so far we only saw 12F with clear sunny skies.

The last 4 or 5 days have been cold mornings, 1-2" of dry sissy snow (Alberta "clippers" that run on rails with a time table) and highs of about 15F. Despite that, the streets and road are almost snow/ice free since the snow blows of by the cars or transpirates (evaporates without melting).

Now were are facing the dreaded warm weather with the nasty heavy snow and slop. - It is all part of the theater of seasons here and I may have to use 4WD sometime.

Dick

Old 02-06-13, 06:40 PM
transpirates (evaporates without melting).
That would be sublimate. I only know because I just looked up transpirate since I never heard that term used before.

Old 02-06-13, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget the bread and milk Wayne

(after all.....there is a storm bearing down on us. To use official forecaster terminology)

Old 02-06-13, 07:18 PM
Dick,

Yeah, up on Da Range. If you scroll down to the fourth it was a bit cool but not bad since then.....

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Eveleth Municipal Automatic Weather Observing

I don't think we ever did hit -30.

I'd ask Wayne to send it this way but I think it's time to see it running down the gutter.

Old 02-06-13, 08:11 PM
Baldwin -

When I lived in Virginia for a couple of years, it seems it was pronounced "Rianch". Definitely can be cold there. One morning, the four of us hopped into a car to go to work and every time we went into a dip/low spot the inside windows frosted up (no wind and lows were very cold). When we got to the plant site on the top of the divide it was -52F on the official site construction thermometer in a box with all the recording wires.

My GMC carry-all up was parked over night and and the 2 tank heaters were plugged in, but it took coaxing to get the linkage into neutral (linkage cold) and then more coaxing to let out the clutch and let it idle for 45 minutes. When it was warm, it would come outside and it would not move because of the wrong rear end grease and that took coaxing to get it to move. Your part of the world can be brutal to live in.

The best thing about Virginia, MN was the locally common city steam heat to every home in the older section, so they could be built close together without fear of fires. All run by a thermostat controlling the steam input and the condensate dripped into a cup to measure the amount used. The bad thing was that the heat from the steam lines melted the snow somewhat above and by the end of the winter, every intersection was like a challenge to get trough smoothly. - Every Friday afternoon, we went south 200 miles to the "winter garden (MSP)" and come back Sunday night. In spite of growing up in MSP, I really learned about "dry cold" and what happens at night with no wind and how warm it can be at 0F in the sun. - It was a good place to live for a few years.

Dick

Old 02-07-13, 03:20 AM
That would be sublimate. I only know because I just looked up transpirate since I never heard that term used before.
No, sublimate is when the snowbirds return to Florida in the fall, and transpirate is when they leave Florida in the spring to spend their money up here in the mountains. Right TG?!!

Old 02-07-13, 04:15 AM
Baldwin,
You're playing in the tempuratures we get here.
Our worst day this year was -47'C (-52.6'F). Was a brutal week that week. Discovered how under radiated my main floor was (not cool).