The Jersey shore and Sandy. Devestation still surrounds me.

Old 01-30-13, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
The Jersey shore and Sandy. Devestation still surrounds me.

I am doing a boiler on the island and wanted to share some real time pics. Curfew is 4:30pm for contractors and we all need to leave the island. 6 pm is curfew for all residents and no one can be out on the street. Real strict still but we were able to get around .

Riding over the Bay onto the island. It was eerie but boiler in tow. Just coming off the bridge and bay on right. Foggy eh?

Name:  Picture 003.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  18.7 KB

The arcade on the strip.

Name:  Picture 005.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  37.8 KB

Riding up the strip to the job. All streets right side go to ocean. Massive amounts of sand everywhere

Name:  Picture 006.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  25.2 KB

Some of the summer home bungalos. Most are two bedroom shacks. These were selling for 400K at one time. I kid you not.

Name:  Picture 009.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  23.7 KB

Several miles of this as we get further north. whole communities tossed like dollhouses.

Name:  Picture 010.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  34.1 KB

This section of homes gone. This whole area burned. They cleared most. Its odd to see empty real estate all the way to the strip. The ocean is just over yonder. Notice burned homes on right in second pic.

Name:  Picture 011.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  Picture 012.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  50.1 KB

Last one. I could not take anymore pics. Its was sad and emotional for me. This is where I worked and played all my life. Never lived anywhere but by the ocean so this is all I know.

Name:  Picture 013.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  43.5 KB

Leaving for the day... And this is the bridge where the ocean met the bay right behind us. And yes the bridge is that steep.

Name:  Picture 027.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  15.8 KB

Just because you dont see it on the news anymore it still is very, very real... There are many many people with no homes. So sad....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-13, 07:07 PM
I am just speechless of this. Are they ever going to rebuild?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8637[/ATTACH]
Courtesey of sodahead.com

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-13, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for sharing Mike. It's a sobering reminder that this happened over 3 months ago and it still looks like this in a lot of places.

I haven't made it down any of the barrier islands, but even driving around the bay-side towns is indescribable. The piles that were people's homes, possessions, just piled up on the side of the road.

Thanks for doing what you can do to help them!

Old 01-30-13, 09:48 PM
It is going to take a long time for a rebuild and I imagine stricter building regulations with some areas even being considered not build-able as it would be too close to the water. I imagine a great deal of the shore was eroded and some of that is not recoverable.

I heard that congress finally passed a bill to help some of the victims up there of the storm but that will just be a drop in the bucket and more help will be needed from the federal government and charities. The charities though will be the big helpers with maybe Habitat For Humanity helping and other charities. Also neighbor helping neighbor too like you and many others are doing.

Old 01-31-13, 03:13 AM
I have a nephew who is working on some of the electrical on the bridges down there and his folks live in island heights, so have had some first hand descriptions. Wife saw some pictures up near Keansburg, her area, and almost cried. If will take a long time.

Bud

Old 01-31-13, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
More pics for you viewing pleasure. Walked a few houses up to take in the beach views. Pretty desolate,

House I am doing the work in just right of that lady. Down the end of the street is the bay. Directly behind me is the ocean. You could imagine why all was flooded and many homes lost.

Name:  Picture 042.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  40.1 KB

Ocean views from where I was standing in above pic. The boardwalk is gone.

Name:  Picture 041.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  Picture 040.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  Picture 039.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  35.7 KB

Pretty home. It originally was not really on the beach per se, but now it is....

Name:  Picture 038.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  42.2 KB

Oringinal type small home on right of pic. People knock them down and then are allowed to build these monstrositys on the left.

Name:  Picture 037.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  35.8 KB

Thats it... My work is done on the island for now. Just wanted to share whats happening here in NJ and Sandy aftermath...from my point of view.

Peace out....

Old 01-31-13, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Reminds me of what I saw in the Outer Banks/Nags Head area after a few storms down there. Ex-wifes family owned land there to build a vacation/retirement home.....by the time they finally were able to do it, they couldn't. The line had retreated so much they were in a prohibited building zone.

I really do feel for the full timers.......but have absolutely no sympathy for the part timers and their McMansions. And why does the Gov keep giving them the opportunity to buy flood insurance?

Old 02-01-13, 03:56 AM
Mike thanks for the extra pictures. Well the boardwalk is gone but even though things are devastated I can understand why you wanted to live there. I also can understand why the government still supplies flood insurance and that is because people really like to live in flood prone areas. I personally like the beach and like some of the small houses but wouldn't want to live there myself at least not on a permanent basis.

Here in Maryland we have almost completely lost one of our little islands I can't remember which one now but do remember that people still insist on living there. Well for those families generations of fishermen grew up there and were taught by their fathers how to fish and cast the nets. Not just fish but our famous crabs too. I guess this part you might call advertising but there is a book out called Chesapeake Bay Cooking With John Shields and all in there if memory serves me right he has stories about the fishermen in his book. The fellow has a restaurant too up here that is always booked solid. Might be a bit hard to find the book as that was his first but he has another cookbook that I know of.

Old 02-01-13, 04:23 AM
Its really hard from a distance to get a grasp on the extent of the damage due to this storm and others.
It's hard to imagine having your home and neighbourhood washed away or damaged to the point where it'll never look the same again.

Old 02-01-13, 05:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mike, thanks for the pix. It is truly devastating. Somewhat reminds me of the damage of Camille in '69 on the Gulf Coast. Highway 90 was a separated 4 lane highway. Difficult to imagine a 16" thick roadbed, two lanes wide and x miles long just vanishing. Eastbound lanes ceased to exist. And, as you alluded to, it wasn't the wind so much as it was the water. With Camille, the receding water did most of the damage, although the winds were in excess of 220 mph.

IMO, a big loss on the Gulf Coast was the Barq's Root Beer facility. Back then Barq's was made from spring water on location. Spring is there no more so they have to use what they have available..

Old 02-01-13, 06:24 AM
What I always find disappointing in catastrophes like this is the rapid flow of promises and the ever declining flow of reconstruction. Between insurance companies and politicians, they never come through with what was promised.

You will have to repeat these pictures next year.

As for flood insurance, the cost I heard was out of sight. Anyone have any real numbers? Point being, if it is too expensive (obviously high risk) and people go without it, then they shouldn't be rebuilding or we shouldn't be paying them to do so.

Bud

Old 02-01-13, 08:00 AM
As for flood insurance, the cost I heard was out of sight.
OH NO!! On TV they advertise it for $129 a year Really, I agree that it is out of sight.
Oddly after Camille, reconstruction began the next week and although Federal Aid was there, it was the residents and business owners who dug in to make the difference. A far cry from the situations we have nowadays (no insult meant to any of the people in the devastated area). Today's replacement costs are way too high and the damage too great to expect individuals to buckle down and absorb it all.

Old 02-01-13, 11:01 AM
Lawrosa,

looks bad, sounds like it may take months or even a year to clear it all up, I had no idea there was a curfew, glad I don't live near the area, I am in NJ, but on western side of the state

-Jess

Old 02-01-13, 11:19 AM
I'm assuming NJ and NY will recover quicker then New Orleans. They are still a mess in some areas from what have heard.
It's a shame that being that there is more wealth in these areas, they will recover quicker.

Old 02-01-13, 11:38 AM
That's why I asked Larry. The number I heard was $1,500 a month. But that might have been a 5 million dollar home. Of course we probably don't want to know the before price on some of those modest little homes in the pictures.

My former SIL's home north of these pictures is totally gone, land and all.

Bud

Old 02-01-13, 03:30 PM
I am sure that quote I heard on TV was a "come on", and had nothing to do with reality. One reason I don't watch much TV. We've been wearing out Netflix streaming lately, however.

Old 02-01-13, 06:08 PM
I don't know what flood insurance costs, but it obviously wasn't enough because FEMA didn't have nearly enough money in their coffers to pay the claims from Sandy. Don't worry, they are redrawing the flood maps to help pay for it.

Living on a sand bar comes with a major risk. I find it hard to believe that someone could live on one and not be aware of that risk. Especially when new buildings are required to be on pilings. It's pretty obvious. All those homes down there are on million dollar or more properties. So for those, I don't feel so bad for. It's the working class in other parts of the state that lost their homes that I do feel bad for. Even though storms of this magnitude aren't common for use, they do come through ever several decades. You should always be prepared for them.

Old 02-02-13, 03:50 AM
Sad thing, too, droo, is most "vacation" homes, regardless of their value, are underinsured. We had a similar situation when a tornado hit on a nearby lake with many luxury homes, mostly vacation type. They were calling in people to do reconstruction, but the money isn't there. No insurance, or too little insurance, and the people already sunk their life savings into the house. You had to work with up front money until it ran out, then you packed up. That's all you could do.

Old 02-02-13, 01:04 PM
I take my homeowner's insurance seriously. I know this is my primary home, but I can't imagine that I would feel different about a vacation home. I pay the extra money for replacement cost coverage and increase my coverage every year when the insurance company advises me to do so. When I first got the insurance, they sent me a survey about the home and how it was constructed. They used that to estimate how much it would cost to build new should it be destroyed. So every year they take that survey and update the numbers.

I've heard that a lot of people that paid off their mortgage dropped their flood insurance. So they will get nothing for their damages from the storm surge.