OOPS......who pulled the plug

Old 02-03-13, 10:35 PM
Group Moderator
OOPS......who pulled the plug

Alright. Who was the wise guy that pulled the plug out for the stadium lighting in New Orleans. What an embarrassment.

I had a friend who was at the game in the Giants Stadium when the lights went out there last year. He told me after that he was horrified because he actually worked on the lighting system.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-13, 12:52 AM
I wondered about that myself. I imagine they will be telling the general public something later on. I didn't watch the game as I am not as much a fan of football as I am horse racing and besides the Washington Redskins weren't playing. I think they over played RGIII I know maybe it was gremlins

Old 02-04-13, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He told me after that he was horrified because he actually worked on the lighting system.
I used to work with an electrician that would freak out every time an apartment bldg that he wired had a fire...... until they announced the cause in the news. He was a good electrician, I don't know why he always feared the cause would be electrical.

Old 02-04-13, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably a faulty $1.35 thermal overload in a switch that caused a cascading action, or domino effect. Or, as shown in the movies, someone tripped over the light cord

Old 02-04-13, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Or all the 49er fans simultaneously putting a foot through their TV screens.

I was trying to imagine the furor if they had actually come back and won it. Saw some video of the Ravens coach in the middle of the break and he was already livid.

Old 02-04-13, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For brothers, they had "night and day" sideline decorum, IMO. Momma is gonna have a little word with him, I believe. No need to get so upset over things you can't control. Both teams were equally affected by the blackout, so why worry about it? Move on. By not concentrating on winning, they almost lost. Overall a really good game, though. I liked the drama.

Old 02-04-13, 06:07 AM
I used to work with an electrician that would freak out every time an apartment bldg that he wired had a fire...... until they announced the cause in the news. He was a good electrician, I don't know why he always feared the cause would be electrical.
How many buildings have caught fire that one person could have worked on?

Old 02-04-13, 06:31 AM
I think it would have been incredibly funny if one of the TV cameras on the sideline focused in on some guy logging into doityourself.com.

"First time poster. Glad I found this site. So, we're having a little electrical problem and half of our lights just went out. Not sure what to do. Can anyone help? We've got about 30 gazillion people waiting for us to get the lights back on. Can anyone help?"

"Can you post pics so we have a better idea as to what we're dealing with?"

"Is there a GFI on the circuit somewhere? Could be in the garage, attic or hidden somewhere else. Likely a GFI issue."

Last edited by stickshift; 02-04-13 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-13, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
I was nowhere near New Orleans, or Louisiana, so you can't blame me.

Old 02-04-13, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by wildbill7145
I think it would have been incredibly funny if one of the TV cameras on the sideline focused in on some guy logging into doityourself.com.

"First time poster. Glad I found this site. So, we're having a little electrical problem and half of our lights just went out. Not sure what to do. Can anyone help? We've got about 30 gazillion people waiting for us to get the lights back on. Can anyone help?"

"Can you post pics so we have a better idea as to what we're dealing with?"

"Is there a GFI on the circuit somewhere? Could be in the garage, attic or hidden somewhere else. Likely a GFI issue."
You forgot the make and model of the equipment being used.

Old 02-04-13, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many buildings have caught fire that one person could have worked on?
Old electrician and small town means he did a lot of the apartment bldgs and condos. I remember one bldg in particular, he had wired it 20-30 yrs earlier. The owners were in the process of repainting the exterior along with vacant apartments. The fire was big enough to displace a dozen or so families. Turns out the painters had left paint and thinner in a balcony and one of the tenants had flicked a cigarette off of his balcony and the wind blew the still lit cigarette unto the balcony with paint thinner and rags.

Another note about small towns, since they don't have as much news as the big cities, most every fire makes the local news

Old 02-04-13, 01:18 PM
Old electrician and small town means he did a lot of the apartment bldgs and condos. I remember one bldg in particular, he had wired it 20-30 yrs earlier. The owners were in the process of repainting the exterior along with vacant apartments. The fire was big enough to displace a dozen or so families. Turns out the painters had left paint and thinner in a balcony and one of the tenants had flicked a cigarette off of his balcony and the wind blew the still lit cigarette unto the balcony with paint thinner and rags.

Another note about small towns, since they don't have as much news as the big cities, most every fire makes the local news
Thinking of the little town I live in now, that makes sense. I've been able to get the history of all my utilities in this house from the local trades people with it being so small.

Old 02-04-13, 01:23 PM
I can verify this. I live in a small town with 6k people. I've lived here for 5 years and have been in the local papers at least a dozen times. Half of them pics of me volunteering to pick up dog poop in various neighbourhoods as part of a volunteer dog enthusiast group.

A fire in town would run from one end of town to the other before any local news outlets even caught wind of it. Hell, you burn some chicken and it makes the news.

Old 02-05-13, 04:51 AM
I can verify this. I live in a small town with 6k people. I've lived here for 5 years and have been in the local papers at least a dozen times. Half of them pics of me volunteering to pick up dog poop in various neighbourhoods as part of a volunteer dog enthusiast group.

A fire in town would run from one end of town to the other before any local news outlets even caught wind of it. Hell, you burn some chicken and it makes the news.
haha
That sounds like the town I moved to a year ago. The only difference is our local paper only runs once a month.
We where the talk of town for a long time, being the city folks (moved from a city of ~200k pop to here) and bought the old former convent.

Old 02-05-13, 08:08 AM
Mark, It's long been suspected that whenever a fire marshall can't determine the cause of a fire they always decide that it was started by electrical problems.