My kind of judge

Old 02-08-13, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I saw that the other day. I know that girl didn't have a clue while she was in court - I wonder if she figured it out later

Old 02-08-13, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
The expression on her face when the judge said $10,000 bond on first count was priceless.

Old 02-08-13, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I went back and looked at the link you provided - it showed a lot more than the condensed version I saw on TV. I know she told the judge she wasn't under the influence of any drugs but .........

Old 02-08-13, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, we need more judges like that!

Old 02-08-13, 06:19 AM
That was hilarious to watch.... and that girl was higher than most kites would fly.

Loved the public defender trying to explain to the judge that proper legal procedure hadn't been followed. I'm sure the judge was considering allowing him to spend a few days in an adjacent cell.

Old 02-08-13, 08:54 AM
Not my idea of a good judge. Video is a good example of how things escalate out of control when clueless meets ego. The girl had no priors, didn't know how to behave in "court" (via impersonal video), she was in county duds so she had already spent at least a day inside (not likely to be high). She bid him farewell in her language and for that he doubles the bail? And why should bail be set based on your bank account and not your risk of fleeing trial?

The first thing I thought of when I heard about this case was hearing on the radio about 2 weeks ago a judge dismissed a case against a man for flipping off a cop. In that case the judge's ruling was that flipping the bird was only an insult (protected speech) and not an act of violence or anything more. The defendant had been arrested for flipping off a cop as he drove by. Who's go the bigger ego--a cop or a judge?

Was that Judge Cartman? "You will RESPECT my authora-tay!"

Old 02-08-13, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
didn't know how to behave in "court
I've never stood before a judge in my life, yet I'd certainly know how to behave there if I did have to go.
It's nothing but common sense and good manners. Give me a break. I'd say that's a big part of the problem with today's world.
Guess that's why she's there and I'm not.
So say if your kid or one of their friends gave you the finger, you'd just smile and say "good for you". I don't think so!

Old 02-08-13, 12:33 PM
No--she was stupid to do that. Usually a judge just lectures someone--especially a young girl with no record--to get them in line. How about a threat or warning first? He just seemed to have as much of an attitude problem as she did. Remember she insulted him after he charged her an additional $5000 bond for giggling. He needs to save dropping the hammer on the a-holes that come before his bench over & over, not her. He's just as guilty as she is for the overzealous way he punished her at a bond hearing.

So if your kid flipped you off you'd lock him in his room for 30 days? Or try to actually teach him/her something?

Old 02-08-13, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
I imagine patience wears thin, sitting there hearing case after case of disrespectful, ill-mannered, morons and idiots.

Or try to actually teach him/her something?
Mine would never do that because I taught him well. The guy that did this, was not taught well and the older they get, the harder it is to teach them new tricks.

Old 02-08-13, 01:50 PM
I agree with you Shadeladie it sounds like a great deal of disrespect was shown to the judge. So her lawyer should have been more respectful and so should the young lady who was being represented. Obviously she either was high on something or she was a moron and didn't know any better. If I had been her council and was a lawyer I would have prepared her better than that and found out exactly what the value of her possessions was before going into court.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 02-08-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 02:02 PM
And why should bail be set based on your bank account and not your risk of fleeing trial?
He wasn't asking about her assets to set bail, although I think that can play into account. He was asking about assets so he could decide if she would be represented by a public defender.

People with more money are more willing to let go of the bond money than someone that really needs it for themselves and their family.

Someone that doesn't show the court respect is not likely to respect their responsibility to show back up to court for trial.

I've been in front of a judge a few times for traffic violations and once for small claims. I never had nay doubt how I should behave in that court room. You keep your mouth shut unless spoken to, you don't use profanity, and you dress as nicely as you can. It's a no brainer.

Old 02-08-13, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
In case it went unnoticed, the charge (prior record or not) was possession of Xanax; 19 years old and charged with felony possession of narcotics. Not your typical good kid who made a little mistake. And I don't think he brought her back to up the ante solely on her saying "adios"; I think it was the combination of that and her flippant attitude, giggling little school girl conduct. At 19, last time I checked, you're an adult. You don't get juvie hall and released to your parents custody; you go to court in front of a real judge who, surprise!, expects you to act like an adult.

Old 02-08-13, 05:51 PM
He called her back when she said " F*** you!" She would have been fine otherwise.

Old 02-09-13, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Story update:

She apologized to the judge (and BTW admitted she was high on Xanax and alcohol) and he vacated the contempt charge.

Old 02-09-13, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Whew!!! Thank goodness. Now I can sleep well tonight.

Old 02-09-13, 02:29 PM
Anyone else wonder how a split-screen obviously official video of Miami court proceedings got posted to Youtube? This wasn't someone sneaking in a camera phone...

Edit: Oh snap--it's been removed. Probably along with the career of the poster.
:NO NO NO:

Old 02-09-13, 02:43 PM
I for one am glad that it was posted and feel sorry for the person who lost their job if indeed they did. As far as I know though in Florida they do allow cameras in the court room. Hopefully young folks who see this will think twice about being disrespectful in court. In the few times I have had to be in landlord/tenant court I never saw anything like that from either side and those judges don't like nonsense in their court room.

Old 02-09-13, 03:58 PM
I would think it is available to the public just like all other court records.

Old 02-09-13, 04:26 PM
Contempt laws aew in place to maintain some sort of decorum in the courtroom. Considering the type of people that judges have to deal with it's not hard to imagine what a courtroom would look like if the judge had no power to control behavior in his court.