Winter storm Nemo

Old 02-09-13, 06:19 AM
Winter storm Nemo

20" of snow so far and it's still coming down. We have drifts in the yard almost 4' high. We lost power around 7 PM and we're still on the generator. Unlike recent storms where as many as 200K customers lost power there are only 37,000 without power in the state. Unfortunately we're one of the few.

We do have phone, internet and TV. No heat though and it's supposed to go down to single digits tonight. Unlike previous outages we won't be going to a motel. I just found out that the guy that usually plows my drive has moved. I doubt if we'll get out of the driveway for a week.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 07:53 AM
20" of snow so far and it's still coming down. We have drifts in the yard almost 4' high.

I'm sure you don't see it this way but to me that spells FUN. If I was closer I'd load up my Toro and clean your whole yard.

Good luck

Old 02-09-13, 09:11 AM
You're right Baldwin. I don't see it as fun.

An hour ago I walked out to the road to flag down a plow. Slogging through snow over my knees wasn't fun. By the time I got back to the house I thought I would croak.

On top of that the guy that plowed me out charged $150, more than twice what I usually pay. That wasn't fun either.

But the storm is over, the sun is trying to peek out. We're still without power with temps going to single digits tonight.

Old 02-09-13, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
No way to hook the gen to your heat huh?

Old 02-09-13, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'm with lawrosa...... gotta generator.......gotta have heat.

Old 02-09-13, 10:15 AM
With only 37k out, I would think they would get you going by the end of the day.

When I talked to my wife about getting our gen after Sandy, being able to run the heat was a requirement. We have a boiler so electrical demand is low.

I hope it all works out for you, Wayne. I suppose you could always hole up in the bedroom with an electric heater if you can't get your central heat going on the gen.

Old 02-09-13, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Would you guys PLEASE try to keep your weather on your side of the country? Most of last week was sunny and mid 60s. Woke up this morning to 2" of snow, frozen rain, and periods of sleet.

I mean...jeez...it's Feb 9th.....almost spring for us.

Old 02-09-13, 10:54 AM
Interesting the differences between different climate areas. On Friday, a guy I know said that he felt sorry for people from warmer climates as they'd never know the joy of having "snow days" when you get sent home from work or can't get to work.

A bunch of us got excited about being stuck inside all day and attacked online poker tournaments together.

Of course, that excitement would have turned to dread if we lost power. That would be a very long day.

Old 02-09-13, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Actually Vic, that snow and cold came down from Canada, so you need to blame Greg, Wildbill and Northern Mike!!

Old 02-09-13, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Wayne keep us updated when you can that you are OK.......

Old 02-09-13, 12:45 PM

Actually Vic, that snow and cold came down from Canada, so you need to blame Greg, Wildbill and Northern Mike!!

Funny thing Shady is that our weather alerts up here were telling us the system originated in Texas and was picking up moisture on the way up here! Blame gets spread around depending on where you live I guess.

Old 02-09-13, 01:39 PM
I bought the generator this year after hurricane Sandy. We have lived in the same house for 30 years and for 28 years the very rare power outages never lasted more than an hour or so. We've been through hurricanes and Nor'easters with no power problems.

In the last couple of years starting with Irene we've lost power for nearly a week 3 times. Now we're working on 24 hours with this latest storm.

Based on past history I opted not to install a transfer switch when we bought the generator and not to hook up my furnace or hot water heater. I figured the odds were on my side. I may have to reconsider.

A couple of extension cords from the generator and we have everything else available. I have a small electric space heater from my shop if we get uncomfortable. Fortunately I also have a wife who likes sleeping in a cold bedroom. She's getting a bit testy about the lack of HW though.

Old 02-09-13, 02:23 PM
Are you sure the HW doesn't work? Some gas hot water heaters do not need electricity to work.

What do you have for heat? You can always disconnect the wiring from the service panel and then connect an outlet end so you can hook it to the gen.

I didn't do a transfer panel either. I installed a small transfer switch for my boiler with a power inlet so I could ruin an extension cord to it.

Old 02-09-13, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm curious, when did they start naming winter storms. In the south, especially when I lived in fla and ga, I'm used to the tropical storms being named but I don't ever remember hearing a winter storm named before.

Old 02-09-13, 04:08 PM
I asked the same question. I think it is The Weather Channel naming these storms. It seems to be catching on with the public. I didn't know it had a name until this thread. I did get an email form someone with the name in the subject line. I thought they had typoed "memo". It's lame.

Old 02-09-13, 04:22 PM
Ch 3 in CT has been naming winter storms for quite a few years. Others are starting to pick up on it. I think the weather channel is calling this one Nemo and CH 3 calls it Charlotte. I don't think the NWS has picked up on it yet.

When I heard that only 37K customers were without power in hte entire state I expected that it wouldn't stay out for very long. I was wrong. The POCO is pulling it's usual BS. On the 6 PM news a POCO spokesman said that it would be at least 24 hours before power is restored. He blamed it on the Gov's travel ban and the fact that all the roads had not been plowed and they couldn't assess the damage yet. Meanwhile the TV is showing out of state crews hanging out at Micky D's waiting for word to go to work. SOS different storm.

Droop, My HWH is electric. I went to big orange yesterday to pick up some 240V plugs so that I could heat water. I stood in line and watched the guys in front of me buy the last ones. I kid you not - the electrical aisle was crammed with guys buying extension cords and plugs.

Our final "official" snow total was 28". There were places in the state that got 40".

Old 02-09-13, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Its because since the storms devastation are worse now, it allows us to identify what storm we apply for assistance from.

Fema and the like ask this on the forms from what I know..... Well at least unemployment did when I applied for the spouse here in NJ.

Example. Where you affected by Sandy?....yes....LOL

Old 02-10-13, 06:49 AM
I'm kinda impressed with my generator. I ran it from 8 Am until 10 PM yesterday. It used a lot less gas than I expected. I ran through 7-8 gallons. It did everything I asked of it. I started out swapping loads but by late afternoon I kept everything except the well pump and fridge connected.

It was 8*F when I got up this AM, 54* in the bedroom and 44* in the kitchen. My fish tanks were down to 62*. I guess I'll find out how tropical they are.

The power outage is down to 25K. Unfortunately I'm one of them.

Old 02-10-13, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Wayne....no heaters for the fish tanks? My ex- had a tropical salt water tank and it had a heater....I think?

Old 02-10-13, 09:32 AM
I have 150W heaters for both tanks but I shut the generator down overnight and the tank temps dropped. I usually keep them at 78* but right now with the heaters on since 7 AM they are at 66*.

I have a few bucks in the fish but no emotional attachment so if they end up as flushers I'll just replace them.

POCO sent an E-mail assuring us that our power would be on by 11:45 AM today. It's now 12:30 and we're still running on "reduced electrical."

Old 02-10-13, 09:57 PM
No power yet? A person can get by with the snow but no power would really bite. I don't know what I'd do in that situation....curl up in a fetal position?

Again, good luck.

Old 02-10-13, 10:50 PM
Wayne sorry you are having so much trouble with the power being out. I think I heard a few more lighter snow storms were coming your way. As to naming winter storms I think that is more a local thing than anything else. Back about five years ago when we had about five feet of snow or so actually from two back to back storms they called it snowmaggedon here. Well it sort felt like the end of the world but at least we still had power. What we really worry most about is the summer tropical storms that can come up here and spawn tornado's.

Old 02-11-13, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Noticed the Weather Channel is scrambling for head lines today. Storm is basically over except for clean up and power restoration, so they have moved on. Nothing much to report that is a SUPER eye catcher. The tornado in Hattiesburg, MS (missed my College by a mile maybe) is about all the weather related stuff they could grab. Like....how do you top this????

Old 02-11-13, 05:05 AM
We officially got just over 12" up here in central Maine, but is is strange snow. Had to get my tractor in the back yard and walked right through 3' of snow, didn't have to step over any of it. Lightest powder I have ever seem. No snow on any roof tops and fields are almost empty. Except for the bank at the end of my driveway I bet I could have driven the family car right through the 2' in the driveway.

We went through the ice storm of 98 with no power for about 5 days, wood stove saved the house. I feel your pain.

Bud

Old 02-11-13, 06:47 AM
We've been getting rain/snow thanks to that storm.

I really need to assess my power backup solution soon. I have a genny but no transfer switch yet. With the house being so big, I'll need to isolate things if we got a major winter outage.

Old 02-11-13, 08:09 AM
Mike,

I decided not to install a transfer switch when I bought the generator last year. My reasoning was that the recent outages are an anomaly. I based that on 28 years here without losing power for more than an hour. This latest storm has convinced me that a transfer switch might make life easier.

I have a 6KW generator that I think can probably handle whatever loads we need. I'm just tired of stepping over extension cords and constantly swapping plugs as we used different appliances. It is amazing how many electrical devices we use routinely.

The only time we had a load problem was when we invited friends over for brunch yesterday. They had been without a hot meal or even coffee for a day and a half. We got carried away with the cooking appliances, we had a hot plate, electric fry pan and electric griddle all going at once and when I loaded the toaster the genny gave it up and popped a breaker.

We probably missed the hot water heater the most. No showers gets old quickly. We also missed the dishwasher. Surprisingly the lack of heat wasn't that big of deal. Obviously 70* is more comfortable than 55* but a sweater and a lap blanket made it bearable.

During the summer outages (Hurricanes Sandy/Irene) we cooked outside on the grill supplemented with a campstove. I heated water on the grill for washing dishes. I had planned to do the same this time. I made sure all 3 propane bottles were filled. But there is 2' of snow on my deck and with temps in the single digits cooking outside didn't appeal to me.

IMO a must list - water, hot water, refridgerator, lighting circuit, small appliance circuit. If you have a generator that can support that you can actually live pretty civilized. My furnace demand isn't that high so if I get a transfer switch I'll also get that connected.

Old 02-11-13, 08:45 AM
Water and heat (keeping stuff from freezing), is my biggest concern. Heat might be less of a concern if I had experience with this house and no heat for some time. I may be fine for a few days without heat, all depends on how good the geothermal effect of our basement is.