I think I got fired

Old 02-09-13, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I got fired

My wife helps to take care of an elderly lady. The kitchen fluorescent light fixture is hanging down from the ceiling with just 1 screw. I was volunteered to fix it. I was told I'd need a piece of wood a foot or so long because the ceiling was damaged from an old roof leak.

It's an hour drive from the house so I tried to bring everything I thought I might need, including 2" drywall screws. I brought a strip of plywood 26" long [which wasn't needed] The first thing my wife said when I got there is "the wood needs to be at least twice that long" Well going by the nail pops, I drilled a hole in the light fixture, installed a 2" screw - and hit nothing I kept searching for the ceiling joist and discovered that the electrical box was buried close to 1.5". Was told the ceiling was plaster but it got damaged and drywall was installed over the plaster. I think I found a joist with a 2" screw but couldn't get to it thru the light fixture.

Whoever installed the fluorescent light didn't hit any wood. They installed 4 screws at opposing angles and when the ceiling got wet - it had no choice but to come down

Was all set to go back today with 3" screws and was told not to bother - they'd get their handyman to do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 10:03 AM
Musingly considering that this might not be the same person who completed the first work. You may have avoided a black hole.

Chris

Old 02-09-13, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Sometimes it just doesn't pay. Look at me...I do all this stuff at the gym and all I get is my a$$ beat up 2 times a week in training.

Maybe they just didn't want to bother you with the long drive?

Old 02-09-13, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
I always use toggle bolts to hang florescent lights unless I know for sure there is wood underneath.

Old 02-09-13, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I wasn't crazy about the drive but didn't mind helping them out. The only pay I was looking to get was a happy wife..... but she complained that I didn't dress up nice and came too late in the day [3.30PM]. She was concerned that the lady who has early alzheimers would not understand/remember who I was and why I was there. For those who don't know - alzheimers symptoms usually get worse in the evening.

Doesn't bother me not to have went back but I hate not to finish what I start.

Ray, how long would the toggle bolts have to be? a 2" screw barely hit wood. I would never have figured a ceiling would be that thick.

Old 02-09-13, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
.....buried close to 1.5"

Next time there's a leak there the entire ceiling will come down just from the sheer weight of all the plaster/sheetrock being attached to nothing.

Old 02-09-13, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
I was always a bit superstitious. If things stared going wrong when I was trying for a job I figured it was fates way of protecting me from a job I would regret taking. That is how I would look at what happened to you.

Ray, how long would the toggle bolts have to be?
Probably a 6". Nice think about having a work truck you can usually find something to work if you dig deep enough. Got to admit though it would have been luck to have anything over 4".

Old 02-09-13, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I miss my work van....... but then I am supposed to be retired

I even scavenged thru the lady's late husbands work shop. He had some 6" toggle bolts but they were at least .5" in diameter. Apparently he was an avid fisherman. He had a wall covered with homemade lures. Found several boxes with bars of lead, I guess he used lead to make some of the lures ?? ..... but nothing close to a 3" screw, not even any nails.

Still amazed that the ceiling is that thick, I sure wouldn't want to be in there if it ever comes down

Old 02-09-13, 02:55 PM
I usually like using molly bolts myself but you are right though toggle bolts are great when you have a bad ceiling. Maybe instead of bringing wood it might have been better to have metal joists especially where water was but either thing would have been hard to deal with.

Old 02-09-13, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Ya, I miss my work van....... but then I am supposed to be retired
I am retired and I can't even find half my tools any more. "Must have laid that down somewhere but where did I use it last. Heck, I'll just wait till it shows up before I fix that."