One of life's great mysteries...

Old 02-12-13, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
One of life's great mysteries...

Just switched on Westminster Dog Show on USA.

Why is it the Westminster Dog Show people can find singers (Harlem Gospel Choir) who can sing the National Anthem respectfully and at a decent tempo and the NFL (and usually MLB, too) always subjects us to the kind of crappy, off-tempo, disrespectful renditions at Super Bowls (and baseball games, esp World Series) that they find singers to perform, including this years?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Did you not like the Alicia Keys version at this year's Superbowl ?
It was the longest versions ever recorded.

Old 02-12-13, 06:30 PM
Because the people at the Westminster dog show aren't self centered narcissists that need to make it all about themselves.

Old 02-12-13, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
PJ, that was arguably the worst alleged singing of the National Anthem that I ever heard; I only listened to about the first 10 seconds before mashing the mute button. Possibly if she had sung it in a reasonable tempo (my personal opinion is that anything over a minute and a half is way too slow) rather that running something like 2 1/2 minutes, it might have been okay. As soon as a singer is introduced as a "Grammy Award winning singer" I usually hit the mute because I know the individual is not really interested in paying respect, but rather in singing it in a "memorable" fashion.

Old 02-13-13, 04:14 AM
I still think it doesn't beat the "Oh Christmas Tree" version of the Canadian National Anthem sung during a hockey game a few years ago.

For the life of me, I can't remember where, when or who it was. Either my age is catching up to me, or my mind is trying to forget that painful moment.

Old 02-13-13, 04:34 AM
Group Moderator
I confess, I've never heard O Canada butchered, but my guess would be there would be lots of potential for it. I've probably heard O Canada well sung more times the Star Spangled Banner.

Old 02-13-13, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a memory jog, Mike; it's on youtube and here's the description:

Uploaded on Jun 13, 2007

"Back in 1994 when the CFL expanded into some unlikely cities in the US, in an effort to become more profitable, Mr. Dennis KC Parks, a lounge singer from Las Vegas attempted to sing "Oh Canada" before a game being played between the Las Vegas Posse and the Saskatchewan Roughriders, without ever having heard the anthem sung. It is unbelievable -- but true!"

Old 02-13-13, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Because the people at the Westminster dog show aren't self centered narcissists that need to make it all about themselves.

Now, Andrew, be nice. I really think it boils down to etiquette. They probably review everything that goes into the program ahead of time, and set stipulations beforehand. They aren't specifically doing it to garner the praise of the hip hop generation, but to perform the national anthem the way it is written on paper. It has a certain tempo, certain words, and the notes are in black and white. Deviations from that, IMO, detract from it's intent. Francis Scott Key would be proud.

And that dog show was much better than the other one airing.

Old 02-13-13, 04:40 AM
singing it in a "memorable" fashion
That's it right there.

Old 02-13-13, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Here's a memory jog, Mike; it's on youtube and here's the description:

Uploaded on Jun 13, 2007

"Back in 1994 when the CFL expanded into some unlikely cities in the US, in an effort to become more profitable, Mr. Dennis KC Parks, a lounge singer from Las Vegas attempted to sing "Oh Canada" before a game being played between the Las Vegas Posse and the Saskatchewan Roughriders, without ever having heard the anthem sung. It is unbelievable -- but true!"
Thanks for that.
Like a cat with a full bathtub... I had to google it. First listing. My poor, poor ears.

Old 02-13-13, 05:39 PM
It was originally a poem, not the national anthem. The music part of it existed as another song.

My point was that when you have a celebrity sing the national anthem, they are trying to sing it in a way that is different to make themselves stand out. They aren't there to sing the anthem proudly as intended.