State of the Union?

Old 02-12-13, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
State of the Union?

Ya know.... Not to criticize but it was like a dog and pony show..... Almost delusional.....

Just my opinion.

I can comment on lots of things..... but I will not.....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Skipped it in place of the real dog show on TV.

Old 02-12-13, 07:50 PM
All I think about anymore with this is LIES! Now, what are we talking about again?

Old 02-13-13, 07:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

OH MY!!!!

"Dog & Pony" Show?????????
Never have seen one together myself. What is a Dog & Pony" show??????

OH NO!!!!!!

Lot's of criticisms but no alternative plans put forth. Got better ideas? What are they????

More "Trickle Up" without much if any "Tinkle Down???...
We have tried that and had all that for going on more then 30+ years. Hasn't worked for all to many on "Main Street" and didn't work for all to many employees very well either....

Care to explain as well as offer any better solutions and or ideas????
What exactly is wrong with supporting "Education?"
What exactly is wrong with supporting "Re-building our Infrastructure???
What exactly is wrong with supporting "Food and Drug" safety?
What is exactly wrong with supporting "Financial" reform?
What is exactly wrong with supporting "Energy Independence"?
What is exactly wrong with supporting "Tax Reform"?
What exactly is wrong with supporting "Travel & Transportation" safety?
What exactly is wrong with supporting "Immigration Reform"?
And the list goes on and on and on.

All the above are in our best interests as a country and each of us as citizens of our great nation and none of the above is supported???????...... What exactly could be better then investing in ourselves and in AMERICA????????

Arm Chair quarterbacking is EASY. No special degree nor specialized skills required.

Got a better plan for Americas future? What exactly is it?
More of the same "Broken Record" same old same old???
Where are and/or exactly who among us has the new and/or better suggestions and/or ideas????

I'm reading and I'm all "EARS".....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-24-13 at 09:29 AM. Reason: My Own Questionable Text Removed.
Old 02-13-13, 08:45 AM
The scripted "State of the Union" address totally screwed up my TV watching schedule and I had to revert to watching old foreign movies that are easier to understand and grasp the plot and concepts.

Dick

Old 02-13-13, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
At least Westminster had some class dogs with know pedigrees performing.

Old 02-13-13, 01:00 PM
I personally didn't watch the State Of The Union Address as I really didn't care to listen to anymore broken ideas. Sure some people had their jobs saved in his first term but now everyone is being saddled with higher health care costs as far as insurance is concerned. I don't mind other people being insured and I think it is great that they are but many important issues were not even discussed like how to cut the cost down when seeing a doctor before the health care law went into effect. There are other issues to with him but I will not even go into those issues.

Old 02-13-13, 03:36 PM
....but now everyone is being saddled with higher health care costs as far as insurance is concerned.
Well, I don't know if Obamacare as the Rs like to call it had much to do with the costs.

I just had the pleasure of spending three weeks in the hospital for some rather major cancer surgery. Do you know what these places charge?

Here are two that jumped out at me when I got the bill:

Room and Board (semi-private) $17,884.00

Pharmacy: $10,565.50

No fancy chemo or anything like that, just some oxy for pain and a stool softener so I didn't pass a Buick.

I recall a total of one (1) politician saying we have to get the cost of health care down (doctors and hospitals), most talk about the insurance. I'd guess the money to their re-election keeps them quiet. When the insurance has to pay those prices of course they have to charge a bundle.

And who in their right mind would make a law where Medicare can't deal for drug prices? How much you want for that? Fine, we'll send a check. Boggles my mind.

Baldwin

Old 02-13-13, 03:49 PM
Support education - sure. However, throwing more money at education and calling it support is not the answer. Especially when we can't pay for it. I could go on and on about education and wasted money. I'll simply say that they are neck and neck with defense in the waste department. A case in point - CT schools had two drownings last year at high school swimming pools. They are now being sued. Why does a high school need a taxpayer funded swimming pool and why does it need a taxpayer funded after school program to teach immigrant children how to swim?

Rebuilding infreastructure is necessary. When it is really needed. Spending taxpayer dollars on pork barrel projects is not. We can't afford it. Case in point. During Obama's spendathon he funded a project to build sidewalks. They built a sidewalk in Groton CT where there are absolutely no pedestrians.

The FDA is doing a fine job with food and drug safety. I support them. Spending more money on the FDA would only be gold plating a non problem. If the media didn't blow out of proportion everytime somebody pukes from bad lettuce it wouldn't be a blip on anyone's radar.

I'm not sure what you mean by financial reform. If you mean O'Bama's redistribution of wealth, well other countries have tried it. How did that work out for them?

I support energy independence. Unfortunately the current administration is
wasting money on pie in the sky "green technologies" that do nothing but suck up taxpayer dollars before they go bankrupt. To make matters worse the administration is blocking enregy sources that would create jobs and provide a degree of energy independence.

Tax reform - absolutely. How about to start we tax the parasites that live off the government and have never held a job or paid a tax in their life. How about we tax all the off the books underground economy like hookers and drug dealers and kitchen hair dresser salons?

Travel and transportation safety ???? Where is the problem that is so bad that the government has to throw more tax dollars at it? Are airplanes falling out of the sky? Thousands dying in train crashes?

Immigration reform - Lets just open the borders, give everyone a drivers license, an identity card, a free college education and a welfare check. The difference between today's immigrant and the immigrants that built this country is that the early ones were part of a giant melting pot that formed our society. The illegal immigrants of today don't want to be part of American society they expect the society to defer to them.

What we heard from Obama is the same old liberal "give us your money and we'll take care of you because you're so stupid you can't care for yourself"

The US is well on it's way to joining countries like Greece, Italy, France etc. Why? Because handwringers want to cure the country's problems by spending more than the economy can afford. Sooner or later we will reach a no return tipping point.

Old 02-13-13, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
What we heard from Obama is the same old liberal "give us your money and we'll take care of you because you're so stupid you can't care for yourself"
Amen brother.... Possibly I should of said meat and potatos instead of dog and pony..... Tom?

"Dog & Pony" Show?????????
Never have seen one together myself. What is a Dog & Pony" show??????

Anyway I am kind of shocked so many out there that I know on these forums dont want to touch this post with a 10 ft pole......

Don't know what we are all afraid of......

I guess if you believe it then it must be true, right?

Old 02-13-13, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
I was going to reply earlier but I really didn't have anything constructive to add.

State of the Nation......State of the Union...... State of Confusion ....... whatever.
We already know the state.

We need to create new jobs ......... no sh*t.
I don't see that happening unless we start bringing production back onshore.
We have become a nation of consumers.....and it's killing us !

Old 02-13-13, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Anyway I am kind of shocked so many out there that I know on these forums dont want to touch this post with a 10 ft pole......
My reason is that I was taught you don't discuss politics or religion with friends. Not if you want them to stay friends in most cases.

I think there may also be a guideline/rule about such things here.

Old 02-13-13, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
I think there may also be a guideline/rule about such things here.
Oh!! I did not know that...I don't think I expressed my political views just an opinion.....

I plead the 5th... And possibly the 18th.....

Old 02-13-13, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I get too involved, so silence is the best thing from my end.

Old 02-13-13, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Which end is that Larry

Old 02-14-13, 02:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
PJ, speaking of current politics, it would be the same from either...........see? You prodded me, and I almost took the bait

Old 02-14-13, 06:30 AM
From Wiki - "Dog and pony show" is a colloquial term which has come to mean a highly promoted, often over-staged performance, presentation, or event designed to sway or convince opinion for political, or less often, commercial ends. Typically, the term is used in a pejorative sense to connote disdain, jocular lack of appreciation, or distrust of the message being presented or the efforts undertaken to present it.[1]

As for political discussion here, I agree that this is not the right forum. But then I looked at who posted what and assumed that the rules and guidelines had been suspended.