Florida International Drivers License requirement?

Old 02-15-13, 04:57 AM
Florida International Drivers License requirement?

I heard on the radio this morning, that apparently FL had quietly passed a law that would requires Canadians and other non-U.S. citizens to carry an international driving permit, in addition to their regular driver's licence. Now they are saying that it's not going to be enforced while it's being adjusted to exclude Canadians.

Now I would have thought that an international license would be required for non-North Americans in the US, but apparently not. Interesting how Florida would make this law go through quietly on Jan 1st.

I wonder if this quiet passing of the law was another "stick it to the tourist" revenue generating tactic.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 05:01 AM
An entertaining quote from CTVNews.ca
Originally Posted by http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/florida-won-t-immediately-enforce-international-driver-s-licence-rule-officials-1.1156483
The new legislation wasn't intended to inconvenience or upset anyone, she said, adding “we love our Canadians and we want you to come visit!"

The point, she said, was simply to ensure that all drivers in Florida carry licences written in a language that police officers can read and understand.

Lawmakers didn't take into account the fact that Canadian licences are already in English, and the department is now seeking "to make it clear that a license already written in English would be acceptable," she said.

Old 02-15-13, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Mike you don't want to go to Florida any way...Too hot.

Old 02-15-13, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
you don't want to go to Florida any way
Shhh, you don't want tow_guy to hear you!

Old 02-15-13, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always said that florida has too many 2s.
Too hot, too humid, too flat, too crowded, too many bugs

Old 02-15-13, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Mike, are Quebec DLs in both French and English?

Old 02-15-13, 06:52 AM
This was only of interest as I'm being dragged there for a few weeks with the family to stay at my inlaw's time share.
I also have a buddy that owns a few rental properties there so he was the one that mentioned it to me first.

Old 02-15-13, 07:12 AM
Shouldn't have anything to do with revenue. People need to get a international permit from their home country. It really is just a multi-language translation of your regular driver's license. Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S. | USA.gov

Some other countries require them for visitors but most waive it if it is in English.

Old 02-15-13, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047
Mike, are Quebec DLs in both French and English?
Honestly, I have no idea.
I'll ask one of my Montreal co-workers when I talk with him later this afternoon and let you know.

Originally Posted by Astuff
Shouldn't have anything to do with revenue. People need to get a international permit from their home country. It really is just a multi-language translation of your regular driver's license. Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S. | USA.gov

Some other countries require them for visitors but most waive it if it is in English.
If it was soly about being an english drivers license, I would have assumed they would have made some sort of announcement regarding the law passing.
Also noted by almost all the articles I read on this, the language bit was never mentioned in the original law. It was an after thought justification which is now being incorporated in the law since it's now in public view.

Old 02-15-13, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
I just found this article, updated today, in the Canadian Huffingtonpost (if you haven't seen it already):

Florida Canada Driving Permit: International Driving Licence Now Mandatory For Canadians

Looks like they did quietly pass this law, but they're going to amend it, so that as long as it's in English, you won't need one, but not until the summer.

Old 02-15-13, 08:00 AM
Thanks for that one Shadeladie.
I haven't read that one yet.