Your tax dollar at work - not!

Old 02-15-13, 12:01 PM
Your tax dollar at work - not!

Another small step towards energy independance and reducing our carbon foot print. LINK

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 12:48 PM
edit- something went wrong

Old 02-15-13, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, that isn't the first 150 million bucks our gov't has wasted

Old 02-15-13, 04:00 PM
Not too surprised about that Wayne I heard on the news that at some of the auto plants that were bailed out people were drinking on the job. You could tell they were employees of the plant because they all wore name tags with the company logo. From what I heard they confronted management about it and they said they would look into it but after a couple of weeks the same guys were drinking on the job. If another company had bought them out they probably would have been immediately fired.

Old 02-15-13, 04:51 PM
hedge -

In this instance I think it was a little different. A company (South Korean?) got a 150 million dollar grant from the Obama administration to produce batteries for the Chevy Volt. The US plant was built, employees were hired but batteries were never produced there. Apparently the company opted to produce the batteries in Korea and the grant was written so poorly they don't have to pay the money back.

Old 02-15-13, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
“We were unable to calculate the exact loss to the government because LG Chem Michigan did not track labor activities in detail,” according to the report.
They were given a loan for 150 million and they repaid just under a million.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist (no offense to rocket scientists) to figure out the government lost 149 million bucks.

Old 02-15-13, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Same thing with the solar energy grants...... Billions and these plants are producing squat.... There are many but this is just one.

Media has a way to sweep in under the rug... I follow this stuff.

First story

Amonix closes North Las Vegas solar plant after 14 months - Business - ReviewJournal.com

Second story

They Didn’t Build That: Another Taxpayer-Funded ‘Green’ Energy Project Goes Belly up | TheBlaze.com

The quote from utter power.com

Do keep your eye on the Ball.. the equipment is in the field! There’s no sleight of hand that will hide the truth, no pile of money large enough to turn a pile of junk into a viable product.

And.. those former Amonix employees, the ones who said all this stuff works so great.. like Guy Blanchard for instance.. where is he now, and what’s he up to? Do watch him bob his head and say what a proven product Amonix is.. show me one Amonix site that will pay for itself. Can anyone afford the labor and parts to keep the 7700s on line? I think not..

Yeah the CEO died....Thats what did it....Uggg!!!

Old 02-15-13, 05:51 PM
Wayne not too different actually as the company in question hasn't paid back everything the government gave them. They have received more money but probably the government will never see the rest of the money and the tax payer as usual pays for it. Government bail outs and hand outs where the money is never required to be given back like with the circumstances surrounding the battery plant never work.

Old 02-16-13, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It doesn't take a rocket scientist (no offense to rocket scientists) to figure out the government lost 149 million bucks
IMO saying the gov't lost money sugar coats the fact that we the people are the gov't so it's really us tax payers that lost 149 million bucks

I can understand the gov't giving tax breaks or otherwise subsidizing business when it brings new jobs [and their tax dollars] to the area but in this case the few jobs created provided no lasting benefit. Whoever wrote up that grant needs to be fired! If I understood the article correctly, that's all LG Chem legally owed. If one of us in private business made that kind of deal - we be fired!.... and possibly an investigation that would land you in jail for fraud or a law suit to recover the loss.

Old 02-16-13, 06:58 AM
We all remember Solyndra and the fleecing the taxpayers took from them. LINK

The problem is that the Obama administration (and the type of people they hire) is so eager to to fix our energy problems that they throw money at every scammer that shows up. Of course it doesn't hurt if the scammer is a big campaign contributer.

Unfortunately, the people making these decisions aren't wiling to to the due diligence to make sure the taxpayer is getting their money's worth.

Old 02-17-13, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Only $150 million? That's chump change in Washington.

Old 02-17-13, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Only $150 million? That's chump change in Washington.
You know something......you are absolutely correct EXCEPT it keeps happening over and over and now it's up in the billions.

Old 02-17-13, 02:36 PM
About 15 years ago I was part of a team that was to select a bid for a military project. Only one qualified American company bid on the project and four foreign companies entered bids.

The project was only 120 million and the big defense contractors capable of performance turned up their nose at it. Chump change. The contract went to a foreign company.

Old 02-17-13, 11:57 PM
Just recently within I guess the last six or seven months I heard that many of the windmills that are made for wind energy are either made entirely overseas or most of the components are made over seas. Of course the promise was that everything would be made here which has just turned out to be another lie that this administration has told among many. In previous administrations I have seen maybe a few departments not working well in government but not nearly as many as in this administration. It is no wonder we are in so much debt and spending more and more everyday. With very little government oversight if any being done to see that tax dollars are spent here.