Is It Construction Elves?

Old 02-15-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Is It Construction Elves?

Just finished watching another Kitchen Nightmares and again they allegedly remodeled a restaurant overnight. Do they have elves? I sure can't imagine contractors doing that. In some they even redo the kitchens replacing the appliances. Okay we haven't even addressed permits. Remodeling is the part of Kitchen Nightmares I'd like to see explained.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 06:10 PM
I never have watched Kitchen Nightmares but have watched Extreme Makeover Home Edition and always wondered how they could finish a house in one week. A few years ago I found out when they went to Maryland they had permits way before the project started and inspectors were on site practically every day of the project. It was made possible because the local government realized that a blight on the community would be removed or a house built on a once empty lot. Just good politics and political favoritism.

Old 02-15-13, 06:20 PM
You guys know what a "barn-raising" is? Ever seen one?
It's something fairly unique to the Amish/Mennonite culture.
They bring members of the community together (say 25-50+)
and have an all-day barn-raising. It's what it sounds like...
in the early morning, they start with lumber and supplies and
by evening, they have a full-size barn more or less finished.

Old 02-15-13, 07:26 PM
Ray, it is television. As Shadeladie pointed out in a different thread it is ENTERTAINMENT and any similarity to real-life is purely coincidental.

Old 02-15-13, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Hey Nick.....I like your picture.

Checking out the load limit on the roof support structure

Old 02-15-13, 09:52 PM
I haven't actually seen a barn raising in person but have been to Lancaster Pennsylvania many times. I have seen quite a few though gather together for their services and help each other in other ways. They will help non Amish if they have a fire to re-build according to what I have heard. Others could learn a great deal from the Amish I have great respect for them.

Old 02-16-13, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've painted a few new construction homes that were built in 1 week or less...... and they weren't anywhere near the quality of the same home built in a sensible amount of time. Those houses were built quick so they could still qualify for some gov't program that was fixin' to expire.

I don't watch those type of shows too often. It really gets me when they stain and finish wood all in the same day - you can rush it some but no way can you apply stain and 3 coats of poly [sanding between coats] in 1 day...... not to mention all the times they use the wrong primer/paint for the job at hand

Old 02-16-13, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Entertainment is the key word. ALTHOUGH I was a party to a home raising in the outskirts of Atlanta many years ago. An elderly gentleman had his mobile home literally blown out from under him while he was standing in the doorway during a tornado. They found the tongue to the trailer, that's it.
We arrived on site at 0730 with a foundation and decking. At noon they called us down from the roof for lunch. We were installing the decking and tar paper. It was choreographed like a dance. If you stood still too long an electrician was poking you with wire, or a plumber was pushing you out of the way for pipe fitment. That was truly rewarding.
With the exception of niceties like Marksr mentioned, second day sheetrock guys on stilts, installed and taped. I am sure it took a few days to paint and trim, but house was dried in within hours of our arrival.

Old 02-16-13, 07:55 AM
A lot can be accomplished when things are well planned and your have many hands available to do the work.

The Pentagon and the Empire State Building were both built in 18 months. Those are both enormous buildings.

Old 02-16-13, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
But on the show they have allegedly installed ceramic tile on the floors, repainted it, and moved in new furniture in less then 12 hours. My mind boggles at doing a whole floor with what could only be quick-dry thinset while Sheetrockers and painters are doing the walls.

Old 02-16-13, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've often wondered what those houses look like 6 months after the show.... if it even takes that long

Old 02-16-13, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
I read an article a while back about a chinese firm that wanted to build the tallest building in the world using prefab construction. "Hunan-based Broad Sustainable Building wants to erect a 2,750-foot-tall tower in Changsha -- in only 90 days."

Will be interesting to see if they do it.

Old 02-16-13, 10:35 AM
I don't think those shows are doing quality work at all. There is no way.

I think there should be little problem with that Chinese company. Everything is prefab. All the have to do is stack it up. The are only counting the assembly time in the 90 days. That's why it is such BS.

Old 02-16-13, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
I've always wondered about the Habitat For Humanity homes. A few pros a bunch of amateurs working as fast as possible. Come to think of it that's how mobile homes are built to.

Old 02-16-13, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
It's the luck of the draw with HFH homes. It depends on the mix of trades and help you get.

Search this Thread