Do all sales people think we are stupid?

Old 02-17-13, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Do all sales people think we are stupid?

Went to HD yesterday looking for some hardware for work at the gym. Could not find concrete anchors anywhere. You know, regular old lead anchors, as I know them. Tap them in and drive a lag in to them. Finally found an older (than me) guy 2 aisles over and waited for him to finish telling his urban legend story to some other customer.

Told him "I'm sure I'm walking right by them, but all I can find are Redhead style stuff. I need old style lead anchors. Normally in a bag of 3 or 4?" His response? "Well, it's because you aren't looking for "lag shields" which is what they are called. They're on aisle 12.". This is after I walked up and down the aisle. Told him "Could you show me?". As we're walking over I related how I had at least found the answer to the shelf hardware thread and how I thought it might have been IKEA or something made in China. He says "Well, IKEA is from Sweden so it can't be Chinese".

Seriously...could that guy have been any more of an a$$?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-13, 03:36 PM
I think the guy was referring to what they carry in the store and not exactly what the customer wants/needs. It depends on the customers description. - Maybe he was a second generation Swede.

The origin of the product is not important since I have never seen a lead shield with a "Made in XXX" on it, since that is not important on a small common part closely related to a screw or lag bolt.

If the store does not have it, tell the manager and then go elsewhere. - I hate it when customers are treated like cattle and have to buy something else. I usually go to my Ace hardware for small items because it is easier and faster.

Dick

Old 02-17-13, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Telling the manager of a HD they don't have something isn't likely to help. There are thousands of items available they don't carry and the ordering software will reject any SKU for items they don't carry. Lots of paperwork has to be filled out and sent to Atlanta which may or may not approve it. The store I worked at for instance carried shelf standards. Just plain old shelf standards that a clip goes into to hold the shelf. But we did not carry the clips that the shelf rests on. I mentioned it a few times and and just got a blank stare.

Old 02-17-13, 07:49 PM
HD is a real pain to deal with and most times they don't have what you want. Trouble is a good deal of the mom and pop stores are now out of business because of HD. Most of the time if I really want something special I just order it online instead having to have to hunt for something at HD. Hopefully they will change their ways as they used to be fairly good for little things.

Old 02-17-13, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
It's tough keeping track of the little stuff. So many SKU's.
What I don't like is they'll have 5 boxes of one item....like 1900 single toggle plates.....and those 4 other boxes get placed where there should be other types. Instead of single duplex or double toggle....there will be singles.

I have a few friends that work at the one near me.....they told me the HD is going to part time help only.

If that happens there will be no help left there that can really help you. Very sad.

Old 02-17-13, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
The managers priority is their bonuses at the end of the year. That is acheived by meeting projected profits daily. By nine in the morning they crunch the data on sales since they opened at 6am to project the sales for the day. If they are going to miss their mark they start asking for volunteers to go home for the day. That way they reduce costs and increase profit.

The items in the wrong bin means that when the bin is scanned by the inventory takers each day the bin may show to have adequate stock because the SKU is taken from the bin label not the actual items in the bin.

Old 02-18-13, 05:59 AM
"HD is a real pain to deal with and most times they don't have what you want."

Hedge, Up until a couple of years ago I used to shop at HD 4-5 times a week. I still shop at there quite a bit. I rarely find them to be a pain to deal with and most of the time they have exactly what I want. That may be because I've been in the store so often that I know what they don't have.

A dozen or so years ago HD was one of the worst places to shop. It seemed that they hired the most obnoxious jerks that they could find. I think they had an upper management change and the new management put a lot of emphasis on customer service.

Old 02-18-13, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think too, The HDs vary a lot in different locations. When I lived in central fla, I enjoyed going to HD but dreaded going to Lowes. Here in tenn, it's just the opposite. My biggest complaint is loading the truck. The 2 local area HD's I've been to, always promise to get you help but they never show up until your finished...... except for one time they sent a little gal out who couldn't even pick up a 4x4.

Old 02-18-13, 01:26 PM
Marksr I agree with you I think it does vary from place to place. HD isn't terrible it just doesn't have everything I want Wayne and sometimes the quality isn't there either. A couple of years ago they surprised me I went with a neighbor to HD and I was looking for a thermostat that would be programmable and easy to install. I found just what I wanted and it was much better than my old thermostat. For things like certain kinds of bolts though and anchors forget it they just don't have it. My friend who also lives part time in TN also likes Lowes better than HD.

Old 02-18-13, 01:28 PM
HD and Lowes only want to sell items that they can move. They can't get good prices on items if they only purchase small amounts. They don't want to sit on millions of dollars of inventory just to keep a few people happy.

Old 02-18-13, 04:37 PM
One of my favorite things about HD and Lowes is the 10% discount.

I have to say that HD is my first stop when I need a fastener. I can't remember not finding what I wanted there. I think it's because I've shopped there so much that I know what they carry.

The problem is when it comes to things like fasteners, if they don't have it it's likely no one else will.

Old 02-19-13, 01:11 AM
I have found some fasteners online that you can never seem to find in HD or even Lowes the one time I was in one. As for HDs specials where there is where I certainly agree. I have an HD consumer card and they are always making it easy to pay your debt down on a major appliance. Also 10 or sometimes even 15% off on a major appliance during the holidays isn't bad. I also like the offer of a free haul away and free setup of appliances. All bought online by the way even though the store isn't real far away. It was just easier than going through the store and trying to find an associate which at my store isn't always easy to do. Best time to purchase an appliance I hear is Christmas,New years and presidents day. I guess most places have more sales then that sell appliances

Old 02-19-13, 08:27 AM
Both Lowes and HD give 10% discounts on all purchases if you have a military ID. IIRC you can get up to $250 off on a purchase. Over the years that discound has saved me thousands.

Maybe that's why I like big box stores so much.

Old 02-26-13, 09:25 AM
They most certainly do, and they use these practices because, unfortunately, it works on some people.

Old 02-27-13, 02:38 PM
They most certainly do, and they use these practices because, unfortunately, it works on some people.

Are you talking about the discount as unfortunate? I suppose I could go to a regular hardware store, pay 30% more if I can find what I want and not get a discount.