"get a shotgun!"

Old 02-25-13, 06:10 AM
"get a shotgun!"

Joe Biden's suggestion to citizens that feel the need to protect themselves in their home. Get a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. If you suspect an intruder let off two "blasts" outside aimed at nothing.

Typically clueless, I wonder if he realizes that after two blasts aimed at nothing the homeowner is unarmed. I wonder if he also realizes that in most areas what he suggests might be illegal.

I'm positive that he doesn't realize that shotguns (356) are used to kill more people annually than all rifles (323) combined. The same is true for edged objects (1694), blunt objects (496) and hands and feet (728)!

After they confiscate all the guns are they going to come after steak knives, ban baseball bats and remove our feet?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-13, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
He also has clearly never let off both barrels of a double barrel 12 ga before, that is a helluva lot of recoil. Plus, if you let off both barrels and that does not deter the intruder, you have to re-load to actually defend yourself, as you mentioned.

IMO, the sound of a shell being chambered in a 12 ga pump is quite a deterrent and serves to make you ready to defend yourself without having to worry about whether you just blew a hole in a neighbor's house....

Old 02-25-13, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
12 rounds in 1.73 seconds. This is the shotgun I would choose. Although NJ I think you can only have 3 shells max for hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jZ2t-okpUik

Old 02-25-13, 07:26 AM
When I read about his statement, Jill touching off a couple of rounds off the back porch, I wondered about the heart attack the secret service would be having. I guarantee it would scare them more than a bad guy. Totally clueless!

One often has to look for the planned talking points with statements like this, are they trying to show people that they are avid gun enthusiasts like the NRA? Ha! But even their advisors aren't this stupid.

Bud

Old 02-25-13, 08:04 AM
Mike, I think the 3 round restriction is a Federal Waterfowl thing although some states may have adopted the limit for other gamebirds.

Anyway, I like your choice over this one. LINK

Old 02-25-13, 09:33 AM
Mr. Biden's suggestion seems, to me anyway, to fall dangerously close to the category of "fire for effect"; while SOP on the the battelfield, it has no place in a civilian populated urban environment. I doubt that he and I will ever be close, so if he wants to get off a few rounds in his neighborhood in the middle of the night, that's fine, and maybe the judge can find him a nice cozy cell with Bubba Bob, but I think that I will stick to my practice of not pointing a loaded gun at anything that I don't intend to shoot.

Old 02-25-13, 11:56 AM
I haven't heard that about Biden but it isn't a surprise at all. I still have some of my same thoughts about guns and whether I would want one or not. Now though I see in Maryland laws that are coming about that I don't particularly care about as far as gun ownership is concerned.

As for protection in the home my uncle before he passed away owned a rifle and kept it in the house for protection. Not sure why he had it in the first place maybe my grandfather gave it to him or he bought it himself for hunting. I know one thing I saw it a few times and it was a real beauty of a rifle. The best rifle though I have ever seen is on the Rifle Man now that is a great rifle! I bet if anyone has that in their private collection that it would go for a good bit of money at auction!

Old 02-25-13, 12:22 PM
Not that Chuck Connors' ever laid hand on them, but I have several older Winchester 94's, similar to the one that he carried, and yes, they are sweet shooting guns. I have always said that those would be among the last things that I would ever sell. Not the ideal home protection weapon, in my opinion, but very enjoyable to look at and to shoot.

Old 02-25-13, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
There's a school of thought about using carbines like that for HD, they're not overly long so you can maneuver them around the house and you can get some powerful cartridges in them with a lot less recoil than a handgun of the same caliber.

Old 02-25-13, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understood correctly our vice prez also said it was easier for a woman to handle a double barrel shotgun than any assault rifle..... which would lead me to believe he has never fired either one

Old 02-25-13, 01:27 PM
Very true on being able to move easily through the house with a carbine; the very reason that they make such a nice sporting rifle, particularly in heavily wooded or brushy areas. I just happen to prefer a .45 semi-auto for home defense, and, in a worst case scenario, in which I ever was compelled to use a weapon, I'd be much less po'd if one of my Colts came back from the local PD with a scratch than if they messed up one of my Winchester's. As for Mr. Biden's experience, yes, it's hard to beat point and shoot, but he'd never understand that; who said that a politician ever needed to know what they were talking about?

Old 02-25-13, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First words out of wifey's mouth after firing the Mossberg 500A, pistol grip with 00 Buck......."holy crap!!". May not be an exact quote, but you get the message.

Old 02-25-13, 01:48 PM
+1 for Mark Sr. My wife fired a 12 ga once. Just once.

The main point of the post though was to point out that more people are killed annually by shotguns, knives, clubs and fists individually than are killed by all types of rifles combined. Each of those weapon categories kill many more people than rifles. Yet the government is focused almost entirely on banning "assault" rifles and hi cap magazines. That should raise a red flag about the current goverment's agenda.

I owned two Model 94's. At one time they were probably the most popular rifle sold. While they were very nice to look at, easy to handle and they had a certain old west cowboy thing going , in reality as a firearm they semi sucked. They were not particularly accurate and the 30-30 caliber was kind of a tweener round. Too large for small game and barely adequate for the whitetail deer it was primarily used for. Until Weaver (or somebody) came out with a long eye relief scope there were no optics available.

Old 02-25-13, 02:32 PM
Weren't those optics side mounted, too, since the '94 ejected out the top? I have a centennial model Marlin 336c in 30-30 with optics. Very good brush rifle in our part of the world. Never had a complaint about dropping a white tail at 75 yards or so.

Old 02-25-13, 02:50 PM
In heavy Michigan brush I would much rather have a round nose 30-30 or .35 Remington with open or peep sight than a pointy bullet and the finest Leupold glass. Those old fashioned "brush buster" rounds are still an excellent choice on whitetail where a light pointy bullet can be deflected by a twig.

Old 02-25-13, 03:20 PM
Have Biden talk to Dick Cheny that accidentally shot a hunting partner/friend that walked out of where he was. I think they still hunted together later. - Not a short shot, but a bird load that makes about a sound as large as a deterrent. - It might clear the gun requirements back into the real world, but a sawed off gun has been illegal in most places for years.

At least a normal long shotgun is obviously legal in spite of the "Gun fight at the OK Corral" and most people would stop and think again, despite I hate the administration's position.

Dick

Dick

Old 02-25-13, 04:58 PM
Larry, They may have made a side mount but he only one I owned was a fixed 4X with a long eye relief that allowed a mount in front of the receiver. I have shot quite a few deer with a 30-30 and I know that there were millions of Model 94s sold. The best 30-30 I owned was a cheapo Savage bolt action with a 4 shot clip. I think it was a better hunting rifle than the Winchester. Most all of my hunting was done in Vermont, Maine and Canada and Pennsylvania. All fairly heavily wooded places.
By the time I was 18 or so I had graduated to other calibers that were a bit more versatile and a lot more accurate.

Old 02-26-13, 09:00 AM
Humorous: Women Take Joe Biden's 'Buy a Shotgun!' Advice | Independent Journal Review

To the point, exactly. You can skip his initial drivel by jumping to 32 seconds into it.

Old 02-26-13, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words

Too bad Biden can say a thousand words and still not get the picture

Old 02-27-13, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Dang, Mark - that was pretty clever!

Old 02-27-13, 02:33 PM
Larry, That video was a hoot. It made my day. My wife had a similar result when she shot my side by side except there were some colorful words involved.

Mark your comment was the icing on the cake. It's too bad that guys like Biden are getting all the media coverage.

Yesterday one of the local TV reporters did a story called "Just the Facts" on the AR-15. It was a fair representation of the weapon that Biden and his ilk are trying to ban. He explained that the AR didn't stand for assault rifle or automatic rifle. He also demo'd the difference between a true assault rifle as an M-16 emptied a 30 mag in less than 15 seconds. After that he fired an AR-15 that fired 3 rounds in 1.5 seconds. He then fired a pistol and got almost exactly the same rate of fire. His point, that the Bidenites won't get - why all the talk about the AR-15 when it's no different than a pistol or any semi auto hunting rifle when it comes to rate of fire.

Of course the TV channel showed his report on the 11 PM news so it was probably seen by 17 people.

Old 02-27-13, 04:08 PM
That's a great video Larry,
Rather than start another thread, here's some interesting reading.
http://www.danbaum.com/Nine_Lives/Ar...20as%20run.pdf
Bud

Old 03-02-13, 05:05 PM
just cause the VP says you can doesn't mean the police will agree

Joe Biden's advice gets shotgun shooter in trouble with police

Old 03-02-13, 05:56 PM
The only place I will be unloading a shotgun is into the chest and belly of an uninvited guest as he crosses my threshhold.