Another guitar question(9 volt battery)

Old 03-01-13, 01:40 PM
Another guitar question(9 volt battery)

So I have 2 acoustic electric guitars. ones a 6 string the other is a 12. the battery in the 12 appears to be dead or dieing as while trying to tune it the tuner stopped responding with it plugged in. pressing the battery test button on the guitar it barely lights up. Do I need the 9 volt to play through a amp or not? would a rechargeable 9 volt last long enough in a guitar?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-13, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
If I'm not mistaken....the battery is just for the built in tuner....could be wrong.

Old 03-01-13, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Some guitars need a battery for the pickup to work, some don't so it certainly could be that your 12 does.

Rechargeable batteries typically need to be charged before a normal battery would die but then you can recharge them instead of replacing them. My guitar's pickup does not use the battery and I rarely use the tuner, so I've just stuck with regular alkaline batteries in mine. In your case, the battery could go a lot faster so a rechargeable might make sense.

Old 03-01-13, 07:15 PM
Im not seeing a tuner on either the 6 or the 12 just the band EQ. since im not on stage or anything like that a rechargeable would work

Old 03-03-13, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, the worst that can happen is you decide rechargeables die to quickly and then you switch to a regular battery. I use a lot of rechargeables, just happen not to do so in my guitar.