Is there a way to make 'Sizes of Rings' bigger?

Old 03-02-13, 06:24 AM
Is there a way to make 'Sizes of Rings' bigger?

Hi:
There are several rings I purchased in my early '20s and any of those rings, however do not fit on my fingers any more, because over the years, all of my fingers getting bigger and fatter. When I went to the Jewery Store nearby, it's quite expensive to make size/bigger change.

I still love and want to wear those pretty rings occasionally even though I know all of my fingers do not accept them because I'm no longer young and skinny.

My question is;
Is there a way to make them bigger sizes so that I can wear them again?

In the Internet, I saw 'welder/solder gun,' but I'm not convince yet?

If DIY possible, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

Thanks,

Last edited by PineCone; 03-02-13 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-13, 08:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
BTDT. Size 11.5 in College. Probably 14 now. Had them resized at size 13, but to no avail. I figure by the time you buy the pressurization equipment needed to ensure equal dimensional pull all around the ring, you could afford to have the jeweler do it.

Old 03-02-13, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Making rings bigger is more expensive as they actually have to add material if there is a big change. Smaller, they just cut out a section and braze/weld it back together.

Average price in my area is about $100-125 for an increase...less for a decrease.

Old 03-02-13, 10:04 AM
Wow, that's incredibly more than I paid, some time back, of course. Actually more than the ring cost in 1970!

Old 03-02-13, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...I was pretty much knocked out when they said it too. Problem is...gold has gone through the roof. A Navy ring I had made overseas of 18K is worth about 20 times the total I paid 15 yrs ago or so, just for the gold weight. The place charged for the metal and a separate charge for the workmanship...kinda odd...but thats the way they do it there.

Pinecone....if these aren't either solid gold or silver rings and very nice or sentimental value. Give them to a friend. Or in most cases you might be better off trading them and buying a new one if they aren't worth the expense of re-sizing.

Also...check with pawn shops. You can often get very good deals there.

Old 03-02-13, 11:01 AM
if these aren't either solid gold or silver rings and very nice or sentimental value. Give them to a friend. Or in most cases you might be better off trading them and buying a new one if they aren't worth the expense of re-sizing.
When I was in my 20', I worked hard to purchase those rings.

As to 'pure' gold or not, ... I can not be sure, but it's gold, ... at least the sales-person in the Jewery Store told me. Yet, I'm not very certain to say about it.

One of rings has a large stone which is VERY nice wine-reddish color and 6 triangle-shaped cut, then I am very hesitant to give anyone, at least at this moment.

Probably, I will go back to the Jewery store and re-size it, priced about $120-130, since it's valuable and sentiment to me, remembering my youthful '20s.

Old 03-02-13, 02:42 PM
remembering my youthful '20s
Yeah, kinda difficult to remember the 60's. Sort of a skip in time. Glad I grew up.

Old 03-02-13, 04:19 PM
I think that is best Pinecone you really need professional equipment to properly re-size a ring. Since they have great value to you you certainly don't want them to look bad. I would go to several jewelers in your area that you know have a good reputation and ask for a quote.You might possibly find a lower price. Good luck!

Old 03-03-13, 11:50 AM
I think that is best Pinecone you really need professional equipment to properly re-size a ring. Since they have great value to you you certainly don't want them to look bad. I would go to several jewelers in your area that you know have a good reputation and ask for a quote.You might possibly find a lower price.
I went already two different jewry stores, one is nearby, within 5 minutes' drive and the other is about 45 minutes' drive. I live in southern part of the state. The former is a bit expensive and privately owned and the latter is one of reputable national chain jewery stores and both charge about same in price, around $130. Then, I'm thinking of which one, but the ring is very pretty and gets a lot of attention and complements because of a large stone and its color, reddish-wine in color with 6 triangle cut.

The ring might be designed for younger generation, maybe from early '20s to late '30s, but I still love it. Also, there is a lot of memory whenever looking at it, .... not always happy ones but also painful ones which most of young folks go through. All of those are due to my inexperience in life, but I luckily made it, for that I now feel very grateful and fortunate.

Since I saved a money having fixed one of PCs myself after a malicious virus infection last nite, I plan to spend that amount of money for resizing the ring I love to wear.

Old 03-03-13, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Just to let you know....very few stores do their own work. Almost all (esp chains) send their work offsite.

If you are lucky enough to find a REAL independent jeweler you will probably be better off. Might not be cheaper...

Old 03-03-13, 05:54 PM
I agree with Gunguy45 most chains do farm their work out to independent contractors. One other thing to consider is making sure the ring is insured on your homeowners policy. It is rare but occasionally rings get lost so before handing your ring over to someone make sure you understand their loss policy and where exactly your ring will be re-sized.