Making the numbers lie

Old 03-07-13, 09:44 AM
Making the numbers lie

"Study Finds that States with More Gun Laws Have Less Gun-Related Deaths"
yet stated at the bottom of the article: "Policy makers can really draw no conclusion from this study,". But the media sure wants to.

There are no numbers, but I smell a rat. The states with more gun control laws are more often the more densely populated states. These states may have more deaths, but due to SOO many people the % is watered down. Note they refer to "rates" as opposed to the number of deaths. This, IMO, is a clear example of the media wanting to fan the flames by distorting the information. But why am I shocked?

Bud
Study Finds that States with More Gun Laws Have Less Gun-Related Deaths

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-13, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is what gets me about today's "news" media. Seems like everyone has an agenda and then tries to find 'news' to support their viewpoint

Old 03-07-13, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
I'll go the grammar criticism route: should be Study Finds that States with More Gun Laws Have Fewer Gun-Related Deaths

Old 03-07-13, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Guess it's a good thing that Chicago has some of the strictest laws in the county. Without them there might be only 5 - 10 people left alive. (506 murders in 2012).

Old 03-07-13, 01:40 PM
There are several articles on this latest study and all seem to state that the methods used to come to this conclusion are weak. Violent deaths are mixed with suicides, and there is no correlation as to which gun laws produce which results. Having lived in NJ, which at the time was listed as the most densely populated state, I remember there were few of my friends who owned firearms, partly due to the strict laws, partly due to their upbringing, and much to to with no place to use them. Shooting ranges were sparse and somebody owned every sq ft of land and permission was limited to the people they knew.

To extract numbers from a study with so many variables that were not considered and draw the conclusion their headline imply is irresponsible.

The other number that is missing is, how many lives were saves due to gun ownership. Eliminate the suicides and subtract the lives saved by deterrence or self defense and I wonder what those results would look like. And then compare those results to the number of gun laws in each state.

Bud

Search this Thread