how much does a $25 oil change cost?

Old 03-08-13, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
how much does a $25 oil change cost?

I got a flier in the mail today from the dealership where I bought my jeep. It has a coupon for an oil change [5qts and filter] for $24.95 plus tax. Additional costs; fluid disposal fee and 7% charge for oil filter disposal.... and my jeep holds 6 qts. This is the cost for their standard oil change, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil is another additional charge. I don't know why it doesn't state the oil disposal fee.

Now I always change my own oil but what kind of sticker shock would you get if you expected to pay $25 and the bill came to $24.95 plus tax, plus oil disposal fee, plus a 7% oil filter disposal fee, plus the price of an extra qt of oil.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-13, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware !

It's what they call a "come on."

They wave a low price and then proceed to add on

Old 03-08-13, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow, someone wee weed in your cereal this morning, didn't they??? Just wait until you get the tire disposal fee and battery disposal fee when you have that work done. Just be glad it isn't a Cummins. 11 quarts, filter, and, of course, the ubiquitous disposal fee runs just under $70

Old 03-08-13, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I only read the fine print because that's cheaper than what I normally pay for a semi-synthetic oil change doing it myself.... but after reading the fine print I wonder how much more it costs than what I typically spend.

The local tire dealer I use charges a tire disposal fee on used or recap tires but doesn't charge if you buy 2 or more new tires. I've never paid a battery disposal fee, in fact there is a recycle place about 8 miles from me that buys old automotive batteries.

Old 03-08-13, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
IMHO the fluid disposal fee for used oil is a scam. The used oil has value. I dispose of my used oil at one of my regular client garages and I asked him a long time ago and seems to me that he said he didn't pay the used oil pickup guys for picking it up.

There's a little garage I drive by fairly often that advertises $12.95 oil changes. Yeah, right.

Old 03-08-13, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
What's an "oil change"?

Extra words needed......

Old 03-08-13, 04:33 PM
Our garbage transfer station has inground tanks that accept used fluids. One for antifreeze and one for petroleum based products.....oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, etc. They call it "recycling".

Old 03-08-13, 05:31 PM
How many miles will a 1982 Toyota Corolla go with out an oil change? 90,000! Way to go mom!

Old 03-09-13, 05:40 AM
Used oil is often used for heating of mechanics garages. That said I HATE working on waste oil furnaces!

Old 03-09-13, 05:52 AM
I pay $39.95 for my wife's Jeep at one of those oil change places. I've been going there for about 15 years. No add ons to the price and I get a discounted car wash. In this case I'm sure that the incidental charges tacked on to the dealer's $24.99 price are included. It's worth it for me, but everything else they sell at those places (fuel injector "cleaning", radiator flus etc.) is a ripoff.

I change the oil for my pickup myself and I think it probably costs nearly as much as the franchise place.

I'm sure they sell their recovered oil. Our landfill accepts used oil and I know that the town sells it to a recycler.

Old 03-09-13, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Vic, people who own vehicles that don't leak or burn the oil at a quart a week like yours have to change the oil periodically. I LOVE people who don't change theirs.

Old 03-09-13, 06:51 AM
Like the saying goes: If your Harley doesn't leak oil..........it's out of oil!

Search this Thread